So what's up with Avian godlike?

Hey guys. This isn't a big deal, but I was just looking through the wiki and I was wondering, why can't we play Avian Godlike? I mean, we get an Avian paladin companion (Pallegina). Why make just one "race" that the player can't choose and yet also make a companion for that race? Is there a reason for this?

Edited by Heijoushin

I assume that the Godlike we get to play are the most common Godlikes that show up, but that there are one-off Godlikes who are thought to be "touched" by a specific god here or there. Again, just my assumption. Could be dead wrong.

That's a fair theory. It makes Pallegina feel like a shiny pokemon though. I mean, she's the only character we can't replicate with the adventure's hall.

It might have something to do with the story..And it does kinda make her feel like a rare pokemon :p

• Like 2

Avian Godlike comes from Hylea, goddes of birds and sky. I think developers wanted to make companions unique in some aspects, that's why we have Pallegina's Godlike subtype not available for player Godlike (there are available following types: Magran (Fire), Ondra (Moon) and probably Berath/Rymrgrand (Death), Galawain (Nature)?) Hiravias stalgaer spiritshift is also unique, player druid can't choose it. Same with Pallegina's paladin order and her culture (we neither can be from Vailian Republics nor belong to its paladin order). There is interesting thing with Magran priest companion, he worships deity our player priest can follow too.

Edited by White Phoenix
  • Like 4

It expands the world. Kind of like how the Amnish soldiers in Baldur's Gate makes the world feel a bit larger, even though you won't be able to explore Amn until Baldur's Gate 2.

I'm sure there'll be more Hyleans in Pillars of Eternity, and other foreign traditions and/or peoples from other parts of Eora in the Eastern Reach.

• Like 2

Bet she'll be able to fly and the devs just don't want you to be that cool.

yes when you reach lv 12 she gets the ability to transform into an eagle, and instant teleport your party to any region.

pallegina is evolving......

godlikemon gota catch em all...

Edited by etagloc
  • Like 8

I think the defining reason is that Sawyer wanted his special snowflake to be speshul. The only other reason I can really see is that they wanted to avoid the potential overlap between Pallegina and the main character in terms of writing, as in, they'd have too much in common that might warrant extra discussion and thus, extra writing. That sounds a bit lazy, though.

t50aJUd.jpg

It's really pretty common for companions to have abilities, backgrounds, and even races that you can't yourself play. In BG I, you could not be a Drow, nor could you be a Beserker--but Viconia and Minsc are those things. You can't play an Avarial in BG II, but Aerie is a thing. You can't be a droid, nor a Wookie, in KOTOR, but your droid companion is awesome (TWO droid companions in KOTOR 2!)...and your Wookie companion exists. Etc, etc.

It's less about a special snowflake and more about making your companions interesting and varied and representative of a wider world.

• Like 9

I for one am very upset that Avellone reserved his special snowflake race in Planescape:Torment. Why can't my character, also, be a rogue modron?

It seems like most of the companions are a little bit unusual -- the snow fox ranger pet, etc. I imagine that it's because 1) it adds some depth and interest to their characters, esp. for those of us who've done 10+ runs through the backer beta and know all the standard race/class mixes, and 2) as was said above it helps minimize direct overlap with the PC.

On the other hand it wouldn't entirely surprise me if they open up those options in an expansion. I'm sure someone will do it in a mod.

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
  • Like 1

That's a fair theory. It makes Pallegina feel like a shiny pokemon though. I mean, she's the only character we can't replicate with the adventure's hall.

To be fair, the BG games gave us companions including a drow, a tiefling, and an avariel.

• Like 3

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Imho it's pretty cool to have these characters with unique components. Will be interesting to see if they come up with any special abilities.

Personally I probably won't create any custom companions anyways as this feels to be the cookie cutter way which won't just be easier but also leaves out some of the fun you get by their personalities.

I for one am very upset that Avellone reserved his special snowflake race in Planescape:Torment. Why can't my character, also, be a rogue modron?

It seems like most of the companions are a little bit unusual -- the snow fox ranger pet, etc. I imagine that it's because 1) it adds some depth and interest to their characters, esp. for those of us who've done 10+ runs through the backer beta and know all the standard race/class mixes, and 2) as was said above it helps minimize direct overlap with the PC.

On the other hand it wouldn't entirely surprise me if they open up those options in an expansion. I'm sure someone will do it in a mod.

Im not sure the "grieving mother" is even human, atleast not without a twist, its also the only companion that we havn't seen anything from.

soooo... 

• 3 weeks later...

Did they give her a racial bonus at all?

Death Godlike = Death's Usher

Fire Godlike = Battle Forged

Moon Godlike = Silver Tide

Nature Godlike = Wellspring of Life

Avian Godlike = ???

Afaik, nope. She also has no special Talents from her Paladin Order, Frermàs mes Canc Suolias, and like all C/NPC Paladins, gets no modifiers to Faith & Conviction.

t50aJUd.jpg

Did they give her a racial bonus at all?

Death Godlike = Death's Usher

Fire Godlike = Battle Forged

Moon Godlike = Silver Tide

Nature Godlike = Wellspring of Life

Avian Godlike = ???

Afaik, nope. She also has no special Talents from her Paladin Order, Frermàs mes Canc Suolias, and like all C/NPC Paladins, gets no modifiers to Faith & Conviction.

She does, actually - Elusive Target gives her +10 Deflection against ranged attacks, +3 perception while at <50% Endurance, and some other thing I can't remember at <25% Endurance.

o_O

Yeah, it's almost like the kind of ability we were promised for Godlike! I take that and respec her to a tank-monk with Soul Mirror.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.