Just learned there are no rogue companion

I know stealth, trap and picklock skill arent locked and you can make companions, but i want to use the prebuilt one so i can know their stories. Spreading critical rogue skills seems to be a waste for other classes imo, umless they are really generous with skillpoonts.

Also, do idle companions (like if ww leave them at stronghold) receive exp?

You're thinking about this as if Pillars worked like most other class based RPGs but this is not your Daddy's RPG. Stealth, traps and lock picking are not, in any way, rogue skills in Pillars of Eternity. The game simply doesn't work that way. There are five different skills: Athletics (prevents characters from getting fatigued from combat), mechanics (allows the picking of locks and setting of traps), stealth (does what it says on the tin), lore (lets PCs use scrolls and learn about enemies). Any one of your six party members can be proficient in 1-3 of them. Spending points in stealth and mechanics for your fighter is not going to be a waste of points that you could be throwing into feats to make your fighter more of a kick-ass fighter.

Idle companions, of which you can have loads, do indeed receive xp but they do so at a reduced rate.

Edited by MasterPrudent
  • Like 1

Mechanics is the skill that u use to pick locks/disarm traps etc. so it can be done by other clases than rogue. The main advantage of Rogue is that he is best one target DPS class in the game.

There is no rogue, barbarian or monk companion in game, so it's good to chose one of them as main char ( i chose rogue, because i never play in BG/IWD as one).

I hope they add 3 remain class companions in expansion.

Idle companions can get exp when they do a stronghold missions for you, normal quest exp is only for main team.

... Spreading critical rogue skills seems to be a waste for other classes imo, umless they are really generous with skillpoonts.

There are only 5 Skills in the game, and it's impossible to max out more than one skill afaik.  So the choice will always be a matter of whether to specialize vs, generalize in character development; and that will depend more on how you want to play the game.  For conversations, all the checks are against the Player Character and in Scripted Encounters; the checks are done so that you can assign the task to the party member that most fits the criteria.  The game is designed to allow for a variety of approaches to solving problems; not restricted by class as the IE games.   

As MasterPrudent states above, assigning skills is going to be up to you and how you want to tailor your role playing experience.  That said, certain classes like the Cipher, are pretty well adapted to stepping into the role of party Thief (as per the IE games).  Actually, in some ways, the Cipher class fits better into the IE version of Thief than does the Rogue; which is much more a hybrid between Assassin and Fighter.

That said, certain classes like the Cipher, are pretty well adapted to stepping into the role of party Thief (as per the IE games).  Actually, in some ways, the Cipher class fits better into the IE version of Thief than does the Rogue; which is much more a hybrid between Assassin and Fighter.

What makes a cipher work well as a thief? Are you thinking in terms of role-playing or is there some kind of mechanical advantage? Personally I intend to make my front line tanks good at sneaking and spotting/setting traps so I can keep them up front at all times.

That said, certain classes like the Cipher, are pretty well adapted to stepping into the role of party Thief (as per the IE games).  Actually, in some ways, the Cipher class fits better into the IE version of Thief than does the Rogue; which is much more a hybrid between Assassin and Fighter.

What makes a cipher work well as a thief? Are you thinking in terms of role-playing or is there some kind of mechanical advantage? Personally I intend to make my front line tanks good at sneaking and spotting/setting traps so I can keep them up front at all times.

Unless I'm mis-remembering, it's the only class other than Rogue that starts with a level in both Stealth and Mechanics.  Of course, it really comes down to playstyle, but my primary melee combatants I've built in the beta are using Athletics (fatigue), Survival (healing), and lore (Scrolls)

In terms of building an IE type Thief character (with spells), it's mostly what you can choose in terms of powers and talents, etc....of course no backstab, but most of the other stuff.   Plus putting a couple of points in Lore (the other skill point you get at level 1) and you can use Scrolls; similar to the BG2 Use Any Item