Feats - Changes and additions

I know there are a few "What new things you want" threads here and there, but I wanted to focus on feats the good the bad and the missing. Well mainly the bad and the missing from a d20 stand point. You can't really say KoToR was a d20 starwars game, but it was really close.

Flurry(Change) - flurry was interesting, but seemed to take the place of the Whirlwind feat which I like more IMO. This opens up for Cleave and Great Cleave for a change and more attacks rather than flurry as well.

Force Mastery and High Force Mastery(Add) - The one thing I like in d20 is getting these two feats. They end up give you free force actions. This would be hard to do in the flow of a KoToR game. It could have a delay between uses to clear up the fact you can only use it once a round. The effect it could have is the next force power you use the casting time(for lack of a better word) would be set to 0(instant) for a partial action at Force Mastery and set to half for a full action at High Force Mastery.

Lightsaber Styles(Add) - One thing the d20 SW Hero book added was Lightsaber Styles(or was it forms?). This is nice as it adds a little bit more to how your character fights with a lightsaber. They are all kind of neat in their own way, but I'm partial to the one that takes your damage from dex. Since they are going to have animations that will be different by feat and level this may already be in. This style is more finesse so you could have some cool animations that reflected that.

(Change) I would also like to see more automatically gained feats. In d20 Jedi didn't have to waste a feat slot on Jedi Defense. It is automatically gained at a certain level by type of Jedi you are playing. This makes you the "movie" Jedi and still play around with some of the other feats.

Lightsaber Styles(Add) - One thing the d20 SW Hero book added was Lightsaber Styles(or was it forms?). This is nice as it adds a little bit more to how your character fights with a lightsaber. They are all kind of neat in their own way, but I'm partial to the one that takes your damage from dex. Since they are going to have animations that will be different by feat and level this may already be in. This style is more finesse so you could have some cool animations that reflected that.

This would be neat... but did any of the six styles exist 4000 years prior to ANH?

This would be neat... but did any of the six styles exist 4000 years prior to ANH?

Umm... WHOA. Talk about obscure logic here. Why wouldn't the styles be a way of expressing how a character fights? Considering the disarray of the Jedi Order, I can't imagine that there'd be any uniformity in fighting styles. Yes, there tends to be the traditional doctrine of war which expands over time, but THAT fundamentally derives from what people know works. I could imagine someone who is more finesse talented/oriented would definitely learn to use their lightsaber in such a style, regardless of game mechanics by the d20 book. I don't think fictional star wars history cares about the mechanics of such a GAME rulebook, either.

In other words, I can imagine there'd be no term used by the characters, even mentally, to express these styles, but they would most definitely exist whether or not the characters had names for them. I couldn't see someone with the musculature and stature of a three year old using a lightsaber by throwing their whole body in it, can you? Not when they can find ways around their weaknesses.

I think it's a neat idea, but I doubt they'll go this far with the animation. I don't know crap about what it would really require time and effort wise, but it sounds pretty exhaustive.

I think you two need to ease out and quit reading too much into what I posted.

If you have additional confusions over this, ask and I'll clarify on a case by case basis.

7 styles actually.

I posted this on another thread but it seems applicable here.

http://jediarchives.bejedi.com/index.php?c=fighting_styles

No dates are given but I imagine the styles have existed for some time..

What I was getting at is would the "7" styles, exist at this time (and if one would take a creative jump) if not perhaps the devs could create (assuming Lucasarts OK's it) their own styles.

What do you mean case by case basis? I was getting confused, sorry if it sounded angry - it wasn't at you. You only had one sentence.

I didn't read anything out of it, but I tried to make sense of it. I'm sure you're smarter than that.

Just ignore the first paragraph, then, and look at the second. Why would there be no fighting styles in different time periods? It's like saying there wouldn't be levels or feats, such as force jump. Or maybe saying experience would be different for killing a rancor because they hadn't refined that system yet.

EDIT: Ok, I get it, haha. nevermind.

nightcleaver

I can just get bitchy and oversensitive at times :)

Howabout we just start with a clean slate :)

As I posted as a reply to Kefka, what I mean is that it might be possible the "modern" styles might not exist. (I know, I can be VERY vague at times, this is a failing I'm trying to overcome :p )

But that doesn't mean their aren't other styles that are in existance in this time period.

Personally I rather like the idea of "different styles", and I'd like it in this game as it would help to further define the character :)

Looking at the styles on the website, I don't like it much :/ too tier oriented, not quite what I was thinking of.

And sure, I do that too. Part of the reason I post is much as I do is to get used to the idea of my ideas being scrutinized quite publically and argued with, so that I might seem less opinionated. All's well.

The final d20 is different. It isn't in tiers. More like they just couldn't come up with a better name or someone had a martial arts class where their forms didn't have names. So it became Froms I - VI or something. Any ways they do have pre-reqs. I believe the one I like is a dex over a certain number, weapon focus, and combat reflexes. I would post a bit more, but I don't own the book to look at it a friend does.

(Change) I would also like to see more automatically gained feats. In d20 Jedi didn't have to waste a feat slot on Jedi Defense. It is automatically gained at a certain level by type of Jedi you are playing. This makes you the "movie" Jedi and still play around with some of the other feats.

FOr the seven styles that's way too many different animations to make it worth the time and effort. Though it would be kewl. But I do agree there should be 1 or 2 more automatically gained jedi feats.

If Count Dooku's dueling style is included I'll be very happy.  :blink:

Why ?!?

It's a finesse-based style than the hack n' slash you got in Kotor. Power attacks, flurries, critical strikes and all that stuff. No. Dooku fought as a duelist should not just hacking away with a saber until the other guy drops.

Including the seven forms would be awesome (have to agree that it would take some work to implement seven different combat animations)!!

Great Idea!!

Btw Mace Windu would OWN Dooku in a duel... B)

This may not be on-topic, but I thought they should have sensitivities like they do in the books. For example, Han's and Leia's kids all had specific talents. Annakin could fix anything, his sister Jenna was an exceptional pilot, and Jason was more of a force-sensitive type. You also have natural healers. I suppose this could be mimicked using stats, but it was more like natural talents.

This may not be on-topic, but I thought they should have sensitivities like they do in the books. For example, Han's and Leia's kids all had specific talents. Annakin could fix anything, his sister Jenna was an exceptional pilot, and Jason was more of a force-sensitive type. You also have natural healers. I suppose this could be mimicked using stats, but it was more like natural talents.

"In d20" has been my starting comment a lot. In d20 you can pick up feats that help with your skills. This would sort of be like being a natural in something as you can be better than a person of the same level that doesn't have it.