Are there any lock pick spells? (I hate Rogues!)

As per title, are there any lock pick spells/powers in the game? The reason is, I hate having a Rogue in my party (to be fair, I haven't tried the POE Rogue yet though) but I usually include one in my parties in other games because I hate not opening every chest I can find / missing out of that lovely loot.

• Like 1

As per title, are there any lock pick spells/powers in the game? The reason is, I hate having a Rogue in my party (to be fair, I haven't tried the POE Rogue yet though) but I usually include one in my parties in other games because I hate not opening every chest I can find / missing out of that lovely loot.

It's known as Mechanics and every class in the game can get it.

• Like 1

To expand on this, rogues get a starting bonus to their mechanics (and stealth) skill by virtue of being rogues. There are other classes that also get mechanics bonuses, though I don't think any of them are as high as the rogue's. You can further boost a character's starting mechanics with your choice of background.

Notably, there is no pre-written rogue companion in the game. If you want to use one (or a monk or a barbarian) you either have to play one or hire one.

Edited by Tamerlane
  • Like 1
jcod0.png

Thanks for the replies, that's good to hear.

I was thinking about this party;

Fighter or Barb

Priest

Druid or maybe a Cipher (probably Druid though!)

Chanter

Wizard (me!)

Does anyone have advice for a good character choice in the above list for the lock pick skill?

Cheers!

Come on the 26th!

I'll try the attack ability later and report back but I don't think so.

Also, remember to stealth to detect traps!

And remember that Stealth is not used to detect traps, Mechanics is!

At least as of BBv480. It is a bit counter-intuitive, but it is what it is.

So to recap:

• There's no Rogue CNPC in the game (Edér... Q_Q)
  • Anyone can take Mechanics, it's a Skill, and characters choose freely amongst Skills.
  • You need to enter Scouting Mode (Stealth) to Detect Traps.
  • Mechanics is the Skill for finding and disarming traps. Not Stealth.
  • Lockpicks can be used to lower the Mechanics requirement for lockpicking. They are not necessary to perform the act.
  • When you enter Scouting Mode, your entire group starts sneaking.
  • When combat starts, Scouting Mode ends for everyone. No Stealthing in combat.
Not all of that had been discussed yet, but I felt that all of it related enough to the topic to warrant mention due to how it works in PoE. Note that there has been some much-warranted bellyaching about Mechanics being used to spot traps as well as disarm them, because it requires a good scouter to invest heavily in both those skills at once, and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that Mechanics would help you spot hidden objects, so it might change, but it's doubtful.

There are other issues but none of that will change before release so it's not worth discussing here.

Fighter or Barb

Priest

Chanter

Wizard (me!)

Does anyone have advice for a good character choice in the above list for the lock pick skill?

Cheers!

Come on the 26th!

Chanter, Cipher and Wizard all get +1 to Mechanics, so I would choose any of them. Your Attributes has no bearing on Skills, so it's really up to you. I would personally go with the Chanter or the Cipher just for flavour. The Cipher also gets +1 Stealth, so would be a good choice for Mechanics/Stealth, but if you are going for the druid, that option is out, obviously.

Note that when it comes to Skill Point Costs for increasing Skill Levels (1st level costs 1 point, second 2 points, etc) the bonus from Class and Background does not count towards the price, potentially making a pretty big difference.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

I'll try the attack ability later and report back but I don't think so.

Also, remember to stealth to detect traps!

And remember that Stealth is not used to detect traps, Mechanics is!

At least as of BBv480. It is a bit counter-intuitive, but it is what it is.

So to recap:

• There's no Rogue CNPC in the game (Edér... Q_Q)
  • Anyone can take Mechanics, it's a Skill, and characters choose freely amongst Skills.
  • You need to enter Scouting Mode (Stealth) to Detect Traps.
  • Mechanics is the Skill for finding and disarming traps. Not Stealth.
  • Lockpicks can be used to lower the Mechanics requirement for lockpicking. They are not necessary to perform the act.
  • When you enter Scouting Mode, your entire group starts sneaking.
  • When combat starts, Scouting Mode ends for everyone. No Stealthing in combat.
Not all of that had been discussed yet, but I felt that all of it related enough to the topic to warrant mention due to how it works in PoE. Note that there has been some much-warranted bellyaching about Mechanics being used to spot traps as well as disarm them, because it requires a good scouter to invest heavily in both those skills at once, and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that Mechanics would help you spot hidden objects, so it might change, but it's doubtful.

There are other issues but none of that will change before release so it's not worth discussing here.

Fighter or Barb

Priest

Chanter

Wizard (me!)

Cheers!

Come on the 26th!

Chanter, Cipher and Wizard all get +1 to Mechanics, so I would choose any of them. Your Attributes has no bearing on Skills, so it's really up to you. I would personally go with the Chanter or the Cipher just for flavour. The Cipher also gets +1 Stealth, so would be a good choice for Mechanics/Stealth, but if you are going for the druid, that option is out, obviously.

Note that when it comes to Skill Point Costs for increasing Skill Levels (1st level costs 1 point, second 2 points, etc) the bonus from Class and Background does not count towards the price, potentially making a pretty big difference.

Wow, thanks for the very detailed info! It seems like we have a top community in POE.

And thanks other for your replies as well.

I know you hate rouges but whats wrong with them..Dude your missing out on there back stabbing ability..Get in the right position they get that bonus x2 that in itself is awesome..Plus they can be real good bow an arrow users..

Some people just dislike some classes for no real reason. I personally never liked druids. I can't even explain why. Only once have I almost played a proper druid (discounting Diablo 2) and that was for a Pathfinder game that didn't get off the ground, and my entire concept was "bearomancer". It was entirely centred on bears, turning into a bear, two bear animal companions, and summoning bears.

I'm still lamenting the fact that I never got to play it, because I was going to scream BEARS, HOOOOO and have them crashing in from the windows, falling down the chimneys and running down the doors.

*sigh*

But yeah, it's perfectly valid to say "I just don't like rogues". I can say that Wizards, which I usually like, appeals to me somewhere south of zero for PoE. I can't even put my finger on it.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

just as i dont like paladins... but i do have a reason: i despise blind dedication to a cause 

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Paladins actually own its just most people don't know how to make one. Druids are usually worse tough.

I think it comes down to what you want to make, rather than the knowledge of how to make one. I personally do not consider Paladins very underpowered or anything, just somewhat lacking and mechanically boring, missing in conceptual focus.

But they're not super-terrible or anything. At least not so far (we'll have to see how the nerfs turn out).

t50aJUd.jpg

I assumed disarm would be based on mechanics but I thought you had to be in stealth to detect?

Derp if I'm wrong.

Detection and Disarm are both based on Mechanics, but you need to be in Scouting Mode to detect, yes.

t50aJUd.jpg