Installing pillars on 2 pc's

So i've preordered pillars box edition, now i got question since my girl would liek to play the game aswell.Do i have to buy second box, or i can simply use the same cdkey install on my laptop?

Twitch.tv/MorbusOfKookyB  - Will stream PotD,ToI,Expert.

So i've preordered pillars box edition, now i got question since my girl would liek to play the game aswell.Do i have to buy second box, or i can simply use the same cdkey install on my laptop?

Steam lets you play on two machines, but not simultaneously.

The Dude abides.

If really desperate to play at same time: One can switch to offline mode and the other can play freely perhaps?

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

If really desperate to play at same time: One can switch to offline mode and the other can play freely perhaps?

If using same steam account, albeit on different PCs, the first one to login will be forcibly logged out on the other login.

So in other words: No, sadly that doesn't work.

As others have said: You have to play at different times, if you don't want to purchase an additional copy.

When you ""buy"" a game, you buy a single license to use it. It's in the EULA that takes about 2 seconds to click in the box and then "Next" and you never read it. (Some EULAs only allow clicking Next if you scrolled to the bottom. They care so much! ;) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sglZGSwK6ow#t=43

From the standpoint of the seller, just because it's 'your girl' who wants to play it, she still needs a separate license if she want to play concurrently. If a company wants to run 10 copies of a software on different machines, they need to buy 10 licenses, usually in the form of a (heavily) discounted group license. Theoretically, those 10 copies could be used by the same person who is a superhuman and exists in multiple places at the same time, the license seller still won't care. If the license allows a single user to install copies on multiple devices (like a smartphone version and a desktop version), then that's specified in the license. It's not the norm.

Using a single GOG license on two different devices isn't legal, GOG simply doesn't care about the breach. They care more about customer satisfaction, and if that includes some illegal convenience copies, whether for archivation or family members or even friends, then so be it. They see more business value in satisfiying the customer than using DRM to force the customer to buy another copy. It's a different business strategy, not a different legal status.

Oh-so-many people are under the illusion that when you buy a game software license from GOG, you own the game.

NO, YOU DON'T.

Not any more than a Steam version, anyway. Here's an excerpt from the Deus Ex EULA from GOG, emphasis added by me:

2. Non-Exclusive LicenceFor so long as you are in compliance with the provisions of this EULA, you are permitted to:(a) load the Software Product into and use it on a single computer which is under your custody and control and which meets the specifications referred to in the manual for your own private and domestic use;(b) transfer the Software Product from one computer to another provided it is used on only one computer at any one time and any computer on which it is used is under your custody and control at the time of use;

And again, if you want to own your games, play freeware, open source, CC licensed games. Here's one of my favorites as a physics teacher, Rigs of Rods, an open source vehicle (crash) simulator.

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

If using same steam account, albeit on different PCs, the first one to login will be forcibly logged out on the other login.

As others have said: You have to play at different times, if you don't want to purchase an additional copy.

What If first pc logs in and switches to offline then the second one gets permision ? How to forcibly log out?

Cause this is what we do at my friends pc to play street fighter.

Edit top: Yea there are at least 4 people I know did the same thing with PoE and going to share with other 4 people. Its kinda strange when people (like myself) complains about stupidly hard DRMs and prefers GoG and then just continue "sharing" with others all over again. Nothing changes. Not that I want to change subject.

Edited by ruzen

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

What If first pc logs in and switches to offline then the second one gets permision ? How to forcibly log out?

That has traditionally worked, login to one then suffer a "internet failure" (unplug the cable/disable the wifi, tell windows Steam isn't allowed to use the internet using the firewall) and steam will let you play on that machine while a second one logs on and starts playing as well.

Edited by aeonsim

Oh-so-many people are under the illusion that when you buy a game software license from GOG, you own the game.

NO, YOU DON'T.

Well, I think that many people are aware of this but are using the word "own" in a non-legal sense in reference to the amount of control they have over the product. If I buy a microwave and the store has me sign an EULA from the distributor stating that I can only use the microwave between 5 PM and 6 PM, but nobody has any way of or interest in knowing whether or not I'll comply and no intention of enforcing the restriction, then I own the microwave despite the agreement because of the actual control I have over it (even if legally my "ownership" would be restricted).

I have full control over my GOG install files. Nobody's ever coming to check and see what I'm doing with them and I can manipulate and copy them as I please indefinitely so, as far as I'm concerned, I do own them despite the EULA and the legal definition of ownership.

• Like 1

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

i think that steam doesnt log out other computer i sometimes logged into same acc on 2 pcs and it was online on both.

**to get back on topic If you wana know more about how do I share under same roof with steam. I suggest you check this out budyn

Just to make it clear, the whole "buying a license and not actually owning a game" thing is a direct result of the DMCA; it exists because of extensive work by major software companies as a way to control buying habits and force larger profit margins. The need to purchase two copies is a direct result of this corporate greed; it wasn't always like that.

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 1

**to get back on topic If you wana know more about how do I share under same roof with steam. I suggest you check this out budyn

yes but you cant play at the same time.Unless the offline steam play works

[...]

NO, YOU DON'T.

[...]

The irony here is that I've pointed this exact thing out myself, before, but the thing is, for all practical intents and purposes, yes, you do.

t50aJUd.jpg

If you intend to play the game on 2 devices that you should buy 2 copies. Are you entitled for a FREE snack plate for your daughter if you just ordered 1 KFC snack plate?

Food analogies, awesome.

Regardless of what the EULA says it's perfectly reasonable to suppose that a person may wish to use software he has licensed on more than one device. That this is expressly prohibited in EULAs just goes to show how anti consumer they are.

Your response to this state of affairs shouldn't be to offer a food analogy and leap heroically to the defense of corporations who have strong-armed lawmakers into legislating support for product and service T&Cs that are hostile, unreasonable and unenforceable just so that their profiteering can continue unhindered by pesky things such as by robust consumer rights and protections.

Nobody is asking for FREE anything, in fact if it weren't for peoples generosity, giving freely of their own money there wouldn't be a product for Paradox, Obsidian, GoG and Steam to attach a EULA that admonishes and restricts the use of for those very same people.

• Like 5

If you intend to play the game on 2 devices that you should buy 2 copies. Are you entitled for a FREE snack plate for your daughter if you just ordered 1 KFC snack plate?

Food analogies, awesome.

Regardless of what the EULA says it's perfectly reasonable to suppose that a person may wish to use software he has licensed on more than one device. That this is expressly prohibited in EULAs just goes to show how anti consumer they are.

Your response to this state of affairs shouldn't be to offer a food analogy and leap heroically to the defense of corporations who have strong-armed lawmakers into legislating support for product and service T&Cs that are hostile, unreasonable and unenforceable just so that their profiteering can continue unhindered by pesky things such as by robust consumer rights and protections.

Nobody is asking for FREE anything, in fact if it weren't for peoples generosity, giving freely of their own money there wouldn't be a product for Paradox, Obsidian, GoG and Steam to attach a EULA that admonishes and restricts the use of for those very same people.

For me i see no differences as piracy. You can licensed a copy does that means you are entitled to share it to your friends, relatives and families? Which probably more than 10 if that's a good example? You licensed a copy then i think it's perfectly acceptable if you are going to use it for yourself not for others.

yes but you cant play at the same time.Unless the offline steam play works

to clearyfy simply: YES IT WORKS.

If you check out the previous post I made, you can find out. Hopefully.

Food analogies, awesome.

For me i see no differences as piracy. You can licensed a copy does that means you are entitled to share it to your friends, relatives and families? Which probably more than 10 if that's a good example? You licensed a copy then i think it's perfectly acceptable if you are going to use it for yourself not for others.

Is there another person in your household?  Do you buy a second copy of books for them to read, or movies for them to watch?  Ever loaned a friend a book?

I'm not licensing the right to read a book when I pay for it; I own that book.  And I refuse to view or treat games or movies or anything else in a different light purely because some billionaire somewhere feels they're not quite rich enough yet.  As it happens, my copy of PoE comes with an extra digital one so it's not really an issue in this case, but I can guarantee you the only games I'm buying multiple copies of are the ones with multiplayer (and the ones where I wore out the disc playing it so much and had to replace the thing, but hey).