Pillar of Eternity Unboxing video

1) Do you see Azbuka in title and description? No? It's no Russian.

2) If you dont want seriously insult any west slavic nation, use word "Russian" for description only when you are REALY sure.

I can appreciate pedantry.

Also... I actually had to look up "Azbuka". I've always just called it Cyrillic.

Ok. :grin: Cyrillic.

Polish is similiar to Russian (Slavic language), so I am not suprised that foreigners often confuse them. Returning to topic it seems strange for me that instruction and game guide are the same! They cover classes, abilities, skills and so on. I expected game guide to be some kind of quest solution (like in my NWN2 gold edition). But maybe it's just first impression, I'll see on Thursday. Can't wait.

it is basicly totaly different, czech, slovakian, ukrainina, polish - they're similiar. Russian? not even a bit

Twitch.tv/MorbusOfKookyB  - Will stream PotD,ToI,Expert.

it is basicly totaly different, czech, slovakian, ukrainina, polish - they're similiar. Russian? not even a bit

During my military service, I served with a guy who spoke Polish and he could speak and understand a little bit of Russian because of his command of the Polish language. So it can't be that extremely different.

• Like 1

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

During my military service, I served with a guy who spoke Polish and he could speak and understand a little bit of Russian because of his command of the Polish language. So it can't be that extremely different.

the fact that he did speak a lil rus, its beacause of how our country was working like 10-20 years ago. There were a lot of russian ukrainian and other east/south nations coming to us in trading/bussines purpose.thus people had to know that.It is really whole different language/accent.And on top of that people had russian language in polish schools back in the days.

Twitch.tv/MorbusOfKookyB  - Will stream PotD,ToI,Expert.

Wait, this box contains a physical CD soundtrack?

But it isn't in the collector's kickstarter edition?

Game, soundtrack, map, manual?, guide.

pillars.png

Like german and swedish.

Edited by Zierry

This is the retail box (I've never seen it either, so it's new to me too!) which just contains a steam version of the game, and is locked, so they can't play yet. Backers are going to receive a different box and package. 

I find it unfortunate that you force all retail shoppers who want a physical edition to use Steam.

• Like 2

Wait, this box contains a physical CD soundtrack?

But it isn't in the collector's kickstarter edition?

That is quite interesting. But ultimately that was a decision Paradox would have made. Obsidian simply chose not to offer a physical soundtrack as a reward.

The Dude abides.

This is the retail box (I've never seen it either, so it's new to me too!) which just contains a steam version of the game, and is locked, so they can't play yet. Backers are going to receive a different box and package. 

I find it unfortunate that you force all retail shoppers who want a physical edition to use Steam.

That is paradox. but yeah, i can see why retail shoppers would be let down by this. Well, there is always GoG.

• Like 1

I’m glad to be a backer, because nothing would make me buy a "Steam-locked" game. Even if it turns out to be The Game of the century.

Actually that’s not against Steam specifically, I boycott in the same way every platform using a mandatory client.

More on-topic, I’m amazed by the amount of things you can pull from such a little box ;)

I still remember the 200+ page book that came with Baldur's Gate 2 with all of the spells in it. A 3 page health and safety legal disclaimer would be an affront to everything these games stand for.

Can't speak Russian but the guy in video seemed pleased.   Love the map!

I guess the common stereotype is to assume all foreign language as Russian.  Its actually Polish. 

Doesn't have anything to do with a stereotype. They're both Slavic languages; to somebody who doesn't speak them, they can sound very similar. That's all there is to that mistake.

Polish is similiar to Russian (Slavic language), so I am not suprised that foreigners often confuse them. Returning to topic it seems strange for me that instruction and game guide are the same! They cover classes, abilities, skills and so on. I expected game guide to be some kind of quest solution (like in my NWN2 gold edition). But maybe it's just first impression, I'll see on Thursday. Can't wait.

I speak Russian and Ukrainian, and they're pretty similar. Not as similar as Swedish and Danish, but more similar than Swedish and German. Once you know a bit of both the phonetic differences between East and West Slavic languages become easy to hear, but if you don't speak any Slavic languages, they do sound quite similar too. It's mostly the consonant sounds -- the rolling R's, the sharp ts, ch, sh sounds, and the dipthongs. Phonetically, Russian spoken in a Baltic accent sounds very similar to West Slavic languages actually.

• Like 5

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Pretty high quality stuff!

Pity for the Steam-only thing (makes me even happier I backed for my physical copy instead of waiting for retail) but the map, manual, and guide are pretty sweet and very IE-like :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I guess the common stereotype is to assume all foreign language as Russian.  Its actually Polish. 

Doesn't have anything to do with a stereotype. They're both Slavic languages; to somebody who doesn't speak them, they can sound very similar. That's all there is to that mistake.

Not "oh sometimes someone could mix slavic languages". Everytime, every single it must be Russian! :banghead:  No excuses! Or they wont stop it. Rant off.

Pretty high quality stuff!

Pity for the Steam-only thing (makes me even happier I backed for my physical copy instead of waiting for retail) but the map, manual, and guide are pretty sweet and very IE-like :)

Wasteland and Divinity: Original Sin did same. Most of games need steam (or Origin or something else) nowadays. Gods bless GOG.com! 

• Like 1

This is true. To anyone that actually knows the languages.

I've seen people mix up Finnish and Swedish. I've seen people saying that they can't hear the difference. I've seen people assume that there's no difference, despite the fact that aside from arguably some slight dialectical intonation, they are utter and completely different languages that do not even share their language stem. Different parts of the proverbial linguistics tree entirely.

I have been shocked, I've been flabbergasted, I've been at a loss for words, I've labelled them idiots, I've corrected them, I've asked them what kind of drugs they are on, I've put the languages side to side to show them, I've laughed with my girlfriend at these people.

But never once have I reacted with anger or indignation, never once have I pulled out the "I'm offended" card.

Mistaking one language for another is a small mistake at best and casual ignorance at worst, but if anyone is offended by it, they're the worst kind of idiot, the crusading one, easily comparable to any bandwagon SJW with an art degree and a chip on his shoulder.

I have a Polish friend that I constantly troll by sending him russian things and asking him to translate. He gets so angry every time. It's hilarious.

Not "oh sometimes someone could mix slavic languages". Everytime, every single it must be Russian! bangheadir0.gif No excuses! Or they wont stop it. Rant off.

It tends to be Russian because Russian is more prevalent. It is not an insidious plot against the Polish. I can't even think of the last time I came across something Ukrainian or Czech or Slovakian that wasn't explicitly confirmed to be from there. But if I did, I could very well assume it was russian "or something".

For better or worse, let that be unsaid, Russia is "the" iconic slavic country, and to Europeans the most perceptively culturally significant one (whether that is actually true or not is incredibly debatable, but the impact on the social conciousness is undeniable).

It "must be" Russian because it's the default assumption if one faces an unknown slavic language without the language being of enough actual relevance to warrant investigation.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 3

t50aJUd.jpg

Not "oh sometimes someone could mix slavic languages". Everytime, every single it must be Russian! :banghead:  No excuses! Or they wont stop it. Rant off.

Because Russian is the Slavic language most people have exposure to. It's literally just pattern recognition; if you don't speak a Slavic language, any Slavic language you hear is likely to resemble the one you've heard the most. For the same reason, people who hear real Old English spoken tend to assume it's German. People who don't speak Spanish and hear Portuguese often assume it's Spanish, for the same reason. This exact issue is common with languages of similar families when exposed to people who do not speak those languages.

All I'm saying is you don't have to make the leap to people using stereotypes or being jerks or anything. This issue is perfectly normal and perfectly natural; it has nothing to do with anything.

• Like 2

Luckman: Then stop do it.

Katarack21: We dont like it. No. We "hate" it! Every single time! 

One thing i never understand why you are working so hard on explaining why you cant just stop doing it. 

Edited by Zierry