PoE Embargo ends March 23rd, Backers wait for the 26th?

It just all feels like a big publisher release rather than a small indie that was backed by fans.

1) Obsidian needs PoE to sell like hotcakes or they could go under.

2) It's a product. It's getting sold.

What the hell are you smoking?

That is not 100% accurate, when they did go in Kickstater there was loom of under going closing in, at least in some sense, but that was avoided thanks to successful  KS and also extension that Ubisoft gave for The Stick of Truth  and then Obsidian has been able to get contracts at least for 3 games and at least one consultant contract (this is according to information that other people have collected and what Obsidian has told in this board and other sites, as I don't have any first hand knowledge about subject).

Reminder that you paid money to pre-order a videogame, you aren't an investor and you have no rights. Obsidian took our opinions as they were making the game because they are cool guys, they didn't have to. Beyond getting the game itself on the official release date, you aren't owed anything. If you really care about Obsidian/Pillars of Eternity and them making more games like this in the future then grow up and realise that them giving the games to streamers early is free advertising that shows confidence in their product which will lead to more sales, allowing them to keep making games. If it works out they might get a lot of buyers from people who watched streams and the next game will be ever more massive and super fun than PIllars!

It's great that we all backed this game and its coming out in a few days though right? Its pretty great to be a part of something like this. Lets all try to chill out and be cool guys as we wait the last little bit for this game we are all excited to play. We don't want to be huge jerks in the home stretch.

Be excellent to one another.

Backers are funders not people that have pre-ordered the game. For first glance it could seem same, but there are some very major differences, like for example we don't have ability cancel our order like people that pre-order games have and also Obsidian don't have similar ability cancel or change products that are coming to as like they could do with pre-orders. Also failure to produce promised goods would make Obsidian much more liable to lawsuit than what is case in your typical pre-orders.

But like investing or pre-ordering, backing games or other products via crowd sourcing services don't make you owner of product or even give you any rights what so ever over the product, that is not given you in your initial contract or any possible additional contract that you do with developer of the product (with possible exceptions of those rights that you get with getting license to use product and what the format which you get the product gives you according to your local and international laws).

Sensuki, you familiar with TobiWan, arguably the best solo Dota 2 caster?

I used to cast CoD2 and CoD4 with TobiWan actually, and I've met him in person. He also briefly played in my muck around CoD4 and HoN team (SRS BSNS) in 2009.

He was really noob at CoD xD (and DotA). Personally I don't like his casting style (It's not his fault though because at the time - most of the Australian casters were imitating the "MomoWang" style of casting - TobiWan and Arseynimz both did), but he's improved his knowledge of stuff and I guess he's the guy you want around when there's a big team fight or something.

I don't know if any of our casts are still available online anymore, they were from 2008-2009.

Hey I found something - Tobi casting me in Black Ops

I love it when he does the vent cross haha, we heard him joining the channel and just started abusing eachother for a bit of drama.

Tobi is known to be the best play-by-play caster of Dota2 (blackhoooole anyone?), it saddens me a bit that he's moving from dota to csgo..

While this discussion doesn't really belong in a Pillars of Eternity forum, I have to chime in here.

Tobi isn't "known to be" anything other than some guy who screams a lot during casts, doesn't know a lot during casts and has a massive attitude problem outside of casts.

To newer DotA players he is (or used to be, when he was more active) better, because his casting style focuses more on the spectacle and creating hype than actually good/knowledgeable casts.

• Like 1

Sensuki, you familiar with TobiWan, arguably the best solo Dota 2 caster?

I used to cast CoD2 and CoD4 with TobiWan actually, and I've met him in person. He also briefly played in my muck around CoD4 and HoN team (SRS BSNS) in 2009.

He was really noob at CoD xD (and DotA). Personally I don't like his casting style (It's not his fault though because at the time - most of the Australian casters were imitating the "MomoWang" style of casting - TobiWan and Arseynimz both did), but he's improved his knowledge of stuff and I guess he's the guy you want around when there's a big team fight or something.

I don't know if any of our casts are still available online anymore, they were from 2008-2009.

Hey I found something - Tobi casting me in Black Ops

I love it when he does the vent cross haha, we heard him joining the channel and just started abusing eachother for a bit of drama.

Tobi is known to be the best play-by-play caster of Dota2 (blackhoooole anyone?), it saddens me a bit that he's moving from dota to csgo..

While this discussion doesn't really belong in a Pillars of Eternity forum, I have to chime in here.

Tobi isn't "known to be" anything other than some guy who screams a lot during casts, doesn't know a lot during casts and has a massive attitude problem outside of casts.

To newer DotA players he is (or used to be, when he was more active) better, because his casting style focuses more on the spectacle and creating hype than actually good/knowledgeable casts.

can +1 that easly, his dota knowledge is very low, but he is indeed a good showman.Tho he keeps talkn a lot to guests not focusing on game.

btw i will be streaming myself the PotD, ToI  playthrough so if you wanna see a noob caster in action check it twitch.tv/morbusofkookyb

Edited by budyn

Twitch.tv/MorbusOfKookyB  - Will stream PotD,ToI,Expert.

I don't mind waiting a few extra days but I am slightly annoyed we can't redeem our keys now......it's not like having the keys will enable us to play early or anything as we still have to wait for GOG to put the game up for download which won't happen until release.....I just want to put the game on my shelf already and have one less thing to worry about being delayed or messed up and getting in the way of me playing the game once it's released.

1zq6793.jpg

Saying that Tobi has low game knowledge is so 2013. Every shoutcaster (or play-by-play caster) never really focus on technical analysis, that's left to the co-caster (that usually has a lot more game knowledge like a Merlini or a Synderen). He is, or rather was until last year, definitely the best (now LD?) in his role. I've watched so many tournaments (from TI1) and I have something like 3.6k hours logged on Doto, there's not much I didn't see, competitive wise.

EDIT: I' will stop going OFF-topic, sorry

Edited by Uomoz

1669_planescape_torment-prev.png

I don't mind waiting a few extra days but I am slightly annoyed we can't redeem our keys now......it's not like having the keys will enable us to play early or anything as we still have to wait for GOG to put the game up for download which won't happen until release.....I just want to put the game on my shelf already and have one less thing to worry about being delayed or messed up and getting in the way of me playing the game once it's released.

I absolutely and totally agree with that.

I'm sitting with this jittery, bad feeling that something will be screwed up and I won't be able to play friday though I have made arrangements to be able to!

Saying that Tobi has low game knowledge is so 2013. Every shoutcaster (or play-by-play caster) never really focus on technical analysis, that's left to the co-caster (that usually has a lot more game knowledge like a Merlini or a Synderen). He is, or rather was until last year, definitely the best (now LD?) in his role. I've watched so many tournaments (from TI1) and I have something like 3.6k hours logged on Doto, there's not much I didn't see, competitive wise.

What's your mmr? ;)

Edited by soedenone

I'm sitting with this jittery, bad feeling that something will be screwed up and I won't be able to play friday though I have made arrangements to be able to!

I pretty much told everybody I know not to bother talking to me on the 26th. Even told my fiance she won't be getting laid that day.

What! I'm not proud.

I pretty much told everybody I know not to bother talking to me on the 26th. Even told my fiance she won't be getting laid that day.

What! I'm not proud.

Hah, indeed. I'd rather not go into detail about what I've been doing to get open on friday!

What's your mmr? ;)

A scrub-tier 4300.

I have to say that was mostly a joke question, if that wasn't evident!

Well I'm quite surprised you find TobiWan to be worth his salt as a DotA caster, then. I used to like him, when I was still very new, after having made the switch to DotA 2 all the way back in 2011 - but as I got better and more knowledgeable, he became less and less interesting, as I was looking for different things from my casts. Generally the people I play DotA with (Ranked 3k-6k) are all of the same opinion.

I suppose it is down to preference. I will say that Tobi is the best at creating "hype", particularly during live events, but his casting is so poor that I mute whatever streams he is on, when I watch games. It should be noted that his out-of-game antics have done little to endear him to anyone, and everyone, at least that I know, with some kind of knowledge of him outside of his role as a caster feel the same way.

(I also apologise for the off-topic discussion here, fellas!)

By the way guys I just finished recording the first part of my guide - it's the Introduction and Character Creation part. I'm not sure if it will be any good or not, but at least it it's verbose and basically contains all the information you could ever want when creating a character with an interest in mechanics.

I'm compressing it now, and I'll give it a bit of a watch to see if it's terrible, but if it's okay I'll put it up.

• Like 9

i didnt say he is bad i like him very much myself.But the 1st sentece you have said is pretty much bull****.A good caster is the one that can make a show obviously but he has to have knowledge of the thing he is showing.If i watch something i want informations and want to have fun, not only 1 of those.

Twitch.tv/MorbusOfKookyB  - Will stream PotD,ToI,Expert.

So if anyone is watching the Twitch streams, what's the general consensus of the game from the streamers and public?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I have to say from watching a bit of the streams the game is looking polished. Little things like UI improvements go a long way. They even finally updated the level up screen background which looks much nicer now.

Plus you can now zoom in really really far, which is fantastic for seeing your characters up close. Should be a better experience for people playing at really high resolutions too.

Definitely feeling the hype now :dancing:

• Like 1

Currently biggest streamer of game who actually has more viewers than rest of current streamers together seem to like game very much and his chat also seems to like the game. And other streamers that I have looked seem to also have positive feelings for the game.

Currently biggest streamer of game who actually has more viewers than rest of current streamers together seem to like game very much and his chat also seems to like the game. And other streamers that I have looked seem to also have positive feelings for the game.

Who would that be and how many views?

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

http://www.twitch.tv/cohhcarnage

He seem to have gone to break now, but he had over 8000 viewers for his stream.

• Like 1

It just feels like we should be the ones getting the game first, or at the very least, the same time as the famous. /rant

IGN and Giantbomb are getting copies, not Leonardo DiCaprio.

Too bad because if Leonardo Dicpario played it then it would get tons of publicity

leonardo-dicaprio-inception-squint-7110.

You got a press version Sensuki? Awesome you deserve it. Once I have beaten the game I look forward to checking out your LP

I'm not sure if I'm going to do an LP at this stage - my focus will be on trying to help improve reception and the best way I can do that is to make a comprehensive beginner guide, so that when the game unlocks for everyone, there's something that people can watch to help them understand how things work / how to play.

While I'm sure you will produce some useful or maybe even good/great content, I am very curious why you have this opportunity?

If you have indeed signed a non-disclosure agreement and/or simply will not comment further, I will confess to being rather disgusted.

I'm very glad Sensuki ended up getting this key from RPG Codex because he seems to be undisputed as the guy who knows most about the game outside the dev team. He is in a position to give very high quality info on the game from the very first hours of its release/even before it. This is very good for the game itself. If I was Obsidian I'd have give someone like him a key directly.

This is an important part of the process. The majority of hype nowadays is generated by folks streaming games right before they are released. This is just the reality of the situation.

You shouldn't view streamers in any different light than reviewers. They serve much of the same function - informing users of the game (and giving them a glimpse before they purchase) and generating hype for the release. They also work off of the same principles.

The truth has been spoken! :) Glad to see Obsidian are running the ad campaign for the game in the smartest way for these times.

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

http://www.twitch.tv/cohhcarnage

He seem to have gone to break now, but he had over 8000 viewers for his stream.

http://www.twitch.tv/itmejp

took now over, but he already has 4k+ viewers.

@Topic: I fully understand the press thing, it's vital for a game and completely normal. 

What I dont really understand is the fact, that streamers get the game to stream it. I just haven't seen this until now, that a game gets a pre-release (I want to call it that) for players, who show others how to play a game. Tutorials? Sure. How-Tos? Sure. Tips&Tricks? Sure. And so on. But full play-through on Twitch? I mean if one is fast, he might be finished prior to the 26th with the story - for everyone who wants to see and to share (ofc, I wont watch it, but I would be pi**ed if someone came over and told me some major story facts).

Streaming is not reviewing in my eyes, and the fact that on some streams there already have been giveaways of the game (hopefully NON-playable prior 26th) is just another fist in the stomach. 

Visibility is one thing, but showing the (complete) content off on a big stream prior to the release is no the way to do it. And in addition, you even hurt the small streamers, because most people will follow those guys who already have more progress - the press-streamers. 

I'm not mad, just a bit disappointed, and I hope Obsidian does at least care a bit. 

From what I seen so far of just short stream playthroughs (since I do not want to spoil anything for myself), this game

from my stand point looks pretty polished. Well it's just that little added touch that go's a long way in the end.

Edited by wolfrider100

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

This isn't to denigrate the backers or what they mean to this project. We love you guys and what you do for this project more than you can know.

For what little it's worth, I genuinely believe that you're lying when you say that. Actions speak louder than words, and Obsidian's actions over the past year or so have strongly indicated that you see backers as nothing more than a disposable money source, that's become an inconvenience.

Engagement from Obsidian has been by far worse than any other Kickstarter I've ever backed, and PoE is really the only Kickstarter I can think of that I regret backing. I can't help but compare Obsidian to InXile, who have been consistently exemplary, and wonder where it all went wrong.

This isn't to denigrate the backers or what they mean to this project. We love you guys and what you do for this project more than you can know.

For what little it's worth, I genuinely believe that you're lying when you say that. Actions speak louder than words, and Obsidian's actions over the past year or so have strongly indicated that you see backers as nothing more than a disposable money source, that's become an inconvenience.

Engagement from Obsidian has been by far worse than any other Kickstarter I've ever backed, and PoE is really the only Kickstarter I can think of that I regret backing. I can't help but compare Obsidian to InXile, who have been consistently exemplary, and wonder where it all went wrong.

Lols.

• Like 2