PoE Embargo ends March 23rd, Backers wait for the 26th?

They seem to be under the impression that review copies of an essentially unfinished build are some sort of special privilege that press people are getting and Backers *should* be getting.

They are wrong.

• Like 3

You got a press version Sensuki? Awesome you deserve it. Once I have beaten the game I look forward to checking out your LP

I'm not sure if I'm going to do an LP at this stage - my focus will be on trying to help improve reception and the best way I can do that is to make a comprehensive beginner guide, so that when the game unlocks for everyone, there's something that people can watch to help them understand how things work / how to play.

Really looking forward to this. Gonna keep checking your channel like there's no tomorrow... tomorrow. Glad you got a copy now already, certainly in good hands :>

EDIT: Youtubers/Twitchers are advertisment. I understand how that can make some people angry, especially Backers, but that's just the way to go nowadays. BAdler said it a few pages back: This is to get the maximum out of it, and I think it's the right way to go. I want this game to be successful, I do want it to continue later with an expansion or even a sequel. Just try to stear clear of youtube and twitch, because those people WILL spoil it. They always do.

Edited by JackWeed
  • Like 4

FYI, I think the embargo ends soon? I thought it was midnight my time but it's not. So my videos will not be up immediately, I'm still writing the script for the introduction which should be available within the next 8-12 hours or so (at worst). I'll be uploading new parts as I go, might end up being 2-3 videos long, all chaptered.

• Like 6

FYI, I think the embargo ends soon? I thought it was midnight my time but it's not. So my videos will not be up immediately, I'm still writing the script for the introduction which should be available within the next 8-12 hours or so (at worst). I'll be uploading new parts as I go, might end up being 2-3 videos long, all chaptered.

you can probably skip certain stuff, I'm sure every single person who streams or whatever is going to spend 30 min or more on character creation. You might want to just have premade characters and discuss stuff about them so folks can have an idea of what they'll be doing.

I'll only be watching your videos. Please make lots hehe, the wait is agonizing!

• Like 1

Calibrating...

No one is denying the importance of it. I'm denying the importance of it 3-4 days before a game "officially" releases. 

You're a parody of yourself at this point.

Do you also get upset when other people you don't even know play their own copies of the game "the wrong way"?

• Like 3

No one is denying the importance of it. I'm denying the importance of it 3-4 days before a game "officially" releases. 

You're a parody of yourself at this point.

Do you also get upset when other people you don't even know play their own copies of the game "the wrong way"?

Damn straight! Minsc should use a two-hander. Anything else and you are just screwing up your game!!

• Like 1

you can probably skip certain stuff, I'm sure every single person who streams or whatever is going to spend 30 min or more on character creation. You might want to just have premade characters and discuss stuff about them so folks can have an idea of what they'll be doing.

No, I won't be skipping anything. I have arguably the best knowledge of the mechanics out of the backers, and I want to share that knowledge with everyone so that they understand the mechanics in the game.

I think you'll be happy with my formatting though.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 3

I can't say I'm thrilled about this or the pre-order bonuses on the steam store page. It just all feels like a big publisher release rather than a small indie that was backed by fans.

Since when Obsidian is a small indie? It is a small budget "niche" production that through high quality will reinvoke the same emotions in new generation of the players as we had in our days when we got BG IWD and PS:T. It will also allow us to enjoy a game we thought that might have died out. By looking at Obsidian portfolio you cannot mistake them with a small start up indie. I have no problem with store pre order etc as long as the GAME is good (ok i have problem with how physical copies were handled but it is a different pair of shoes).

Stop acting like the worst kind of hipster because it is just annoying.

• Like 2

No, I won't be skipping anything. I have arguably the best knowledge of the mechanics out of the backers, and I want to share that knowledge with everyone so that they understand the mechanics in the game.

Australians make some of the best game commentators.

Sensuki, you familiar with TobiWan, arguably the best solo Dota 2 caster?

Edited by TrueMenace

Calibrating...

It just all feels like a big publisher release rather than a small indie that was backed by fans.

1) Obsidian needs PoE to sell like hotcakes or they could go under.

2) It's a product. It's getting sold.

What the hell are you smoking?

Edited by Bryy
  • Like 1

Did the kickstater even say backers get the game before anyone else? 

Nope. I don't get the stink over this since they never promised early access nor hinted that there would be one. Backers already get perks that non-backers get.

So they are basically complaining about not getting something there where never promised?

Oh ok that makes all the sense   /sarcasum

The precedent for giving Backers of Kickstarter projects access to the material before the public launch day has been established. Monte Cooke's rpgs have given backers early access to the books. For example, this last Character Options book for the Strange, I got a week before it officially came out. I don't know if it has officially come out.

Satellite Reign and Wastelands 2 both gave access to the game in advance of the release. SR isn't out yet. Planetary Annihilation gave early access to all backers because they ran over their projected date. 

In other PnP rpgs, Fragged Empire has given any player who requested it access to the playtest.

While Obsidian was not obligated to get the game into our hands as quickly as possible, there is clearly a precedent of other high profile game companies doing exactly that. Therefore, there can be a reasonable expectation that a game which is, regardless of the realistic nature of the original projections, a year past said projections, to give those people whose funding made the work possible to have access whenever the developer felt comfortable releasing the finished product; one can argue this is currently the case, as they released the title to the critics.

No one is saying they must do something, but rather that they should (have) do(ne) something. An opinion with which I agree. We were sold on this game years ago, and I assume it was our desire to play this game that drove many of us to give our money well in advance. I cannot speak for you, or anyone else, but to me, it seems an awfully long time to leave a man like that and to leave him so longer that you can, when you claim to be grateful to that man, seems to be working at cross purposes.

Don't mistake this post for anger over the situation however. This is my disagreement, not my fury.

• Like 2

Australians make some of the best game commentators.

Holy **** suddenly i realized that.Tobi for dota 2 and Beaglerush for Xcom are aussies and now Sensukin is one too?

I used to cast CoD2 and CoD4 with TobiWan actually, and I've met him in person. He also briefly played in my muck around CoD4 and HoN team (SRS BSNS) in 2009.

He was really noob at CoD xD (and DotA). Personally I don't like his casting style (It's not his fault though because at the time - most of the Australian casters were imitating the "MomoWang" style of casting - TobiWan and Arseynimz both did), but he's improved his knowledge of stuff and I guess he's the guy you want around when there's a big team fight or something.

I don't know if any of our casts are still available online anymore, they were from 2008-2009.

Hey I found something - Tobi casting me in Black Ops

I love it when he does the vent cross haha, we heard him joining the channel and just started abusing eachother for a bit of drama.

Edited by Sensuki

The Kickstarter says that we should have gotten the game last April original.gif

Anyway, is this our first Rodeo? Media people always get the game first. When has it ever been otherwise?

That said, I'm most definitely NOT going to watch any streams of the game this week. At all. Actual Lets Plays, less than a week before the game's release, is where I draw the line on spoilers. I've played the beta. I'm already familiar with the character creator, how the game looks, and how the game plays. Anything more than this will ruin my own first playthrough discovery process. And I'm not gonna let that happen.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 3

Yeah, I'm pretty much avoiding looking at things as best I can. I'll probably end up screwed because I'm sure something will get spoiled in approving posts, but I certainly don't plan on watching, reading, or otherwise looking into any reviews. After all, it's not like I need to find out more in order to decide whether or not to buy a copy... or three.

I understand that I can be weird about things sometimes, but I don't understand the angst because media people get a shot at the game first. As far as specific members go, it seems that everyone who has access has it legitimately, so no harm no foul. As a backer myself, I don't mind the media getting a whack at the game because it's simply the way the process works. If the backers enjoy the game and teasing the media with a very short window of early access helps sell the game, the backers will be more likely to get more of the same. If the backers didn't know about the early access, it wouldn't hurt them at all. They'd still get the game when it was done and be able to enjoy it just as well. Just my two cents.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I used to cast CoD2 and CoD4 with TobiWan actually, and I've met him in person. He also briefly played in my muck around CoD4 and HoN team (SRS BSNS) in 2009.

He was really noob at CoD xD (and DotA). Personally I don't like his casting style (It's not his fault though because at the time - most of the Australian casters were imitating the "MomoWang" style of casting - TobiWan and Arseynimz both did), but he's improved his knowledge of stuff and I guess he's the guy you want around when there's a big team fight or something.

I don't know if any of our casts are still available online anymore, they were from 2008-2009.

Hey I found something - Tobi casting me in Black Ops

I love it when he does the vent cross haha, we heard him joining the channel and just started abusing eachother for a bit of drama.

Tobi is known to be the best play-by-play caster of Dota2 (blackhoooole anyone?), it saddens me a bit that he's moving from dota to csgo..

1669_planescape_torment-prev.png

Casting FPS games is really good fun. I hate CS:GO (CS 1.6 is better), but whatever I guess.

I prefer casters that can really read the gameplay. Tobi's more of a different style caster than that - lots of people prefer the more 'exciting' style though.

That said, I'm most definitely NOT going to watch any streams of the game this week. At all. Actual Lets Plays, less than a week before the game's release, is where I draw the line on spoilers. I've played the beta. I'm already familiar with the character creator, how the game looks, and how the game plays. Anything more than this will ruin my own first playthrough discovery process. And I'm not gonna let that happen.

I agree.

I've already min-maxed and powergamed the beta for around 100 hours last year and know how character creation works. Similar with knowing how to use the A.I. to my advantage in different ways. Haven't really played it for the last few months but I noticed when I booted it up last week, not much has changed with character creation and gameplay is similar so I still have a few ideas how to create my ideal party when I try it out.

I'm going to freely admit, I'm pretty pissed about the big name things, and it's a personal thing. Obsidian are absolutely right to get the big names doing their press reviews and early YT/Streams.

My personal view is that a big name YTer is gonna squash any traffic my channel had for PoE into the ground, and cue the 'You're copying such and such to get the followers" comments. I was never expecting a press key, nor would I have asked for one but considering the amount of content I've put out for PoE since August, it's a pretty selfish reason but I never said I was perfect.

Not Obsidian's fault in the slightest, as I said at the beginning of this post they are completely in the right as things are to get the publicity this game deserves.

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

The Kickstarter says that we should have gotten the game last April original.gif

Anyway, is this our first Rodeo? Media people always get the game first. When has it ever been otherwise?

Pretty much this. I'm going to watch Sensuki's vid, because I trust him not to be a retard and ruin ****, but that's it, and it'll probably be more because I'm bored and want to see if he points anything specific out that I may not have thought of myself, and the fact that, well, it's Sensuki.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Reminder that you paid money to pre-order a videogame, you aren't an investor and you have no rights. Obsidian took our opinions as they were making the game because they are cool guys, they didn't have to. Beyond getting the game itself on the official release date, you aren't owed anything. If you really care about Obsidian/Pillars of Eternity and them making more games like this in the future then grow up and realise that them giving the games to streamers early is free advertising that shows confidence in their product which will lead to more sales, allowing them to keep making games. If it works out they might get a lot of buyers from people who watched streams and the next game will be ever more massive and super fun than PIllars!

It's great that we all backed this game and its coming out in a few days though right? Its pretty great to be a part of something like this. Lets all try to chill out and be cool guys as we wait the last little bit for this game we are all excited to play. We don't want to be huge jerks in the home stretch.

Be excellent to one another.

• Like 4