PoE Embargo ends March 23rd, Backers wait for the 26th?

Piss off backers for potentially more sales.

You know what will piss me off? A bad game. Getting it a few days after some press/LPers is no big deal. We were told months ago we would get the game on March 26th and we will get it on that date. I fail to see anything about that anywhere that is even slightly irritating much less piss off worthy. Good for those reviewers and LPers but I have zero desire to become either of those things so I have no desire to reap the "benefits" as humble as they are.

I guess I can see getting furious if they delayed the date we are getting it so the press/LPers could review it but they are not doing that. We are getting it exactly when we were promised.

Edited by Valmy
  • Like 5

Having a bunch of people play the game before me is not going to affect how I enjoy the game in any way.  

A metaphor would be someone driving past me on the highway. As long as it doesn't affect my time to my destination, my car, or my safety, why should I care if someone drove past me? 

• Like 1

13:00 UTC.

Check this clock tomorrow. When it says 06:00, the streaming embargo is lifted.

(Source)

• Like 2

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

I agree that streamers/youtubers are a BIG part of the process, but unless Paradox are giving you guys some kind of financial bonus on pre-order sales there's no reason why they should get to play the game 4 days before the backers. The success of a game isn't defined in the first few days prior to release. Look a Larian studios with Divinity: Original Sin. The big name streamers and youtubers will still do what they do even if it's on the 26th.

There is a reason - streamers generate more interest when they show "hey, here is this game and it might interest you guys!" to all of their subscribers. That's very important to reach all people who can be potentially interested and hyped for Pillars of Eternity before the release day. Darkest Dungeon did this and was a massive success. I don't see on what grounds you criticize a proven marketing strategy?

One hundred percent agree with this, just speaking from personal experience: my interview with Josh from a few days ago has already gotten well over three thousand views on my YouTube channel, and another 500 plus on my Twitch channel, in addition to the 250 people we had during the interview itself.  I've already had ten people directly message or tell me in chat that they're buying the game as a direct result of seeing the interview and the subsequent playthrough; there are always, of course, far more people who watch something than comment upon it, which suggests that many more people will also buy the game after seeing the stream.  Now I was working with the beta backer version (which Obsidian was kind enough to send me), not the press version--but it demonstrates how important Twitch streams and YouTube videos are to overall sales, and how this kind of early exposure can really benefit the game in the short and long term.

Just adding a data point, I guess.   :)

--Arv

www.twitch.tv/arvaneleron

Edited by Arvan Eleron
  • Like 4

I can't say I'm thrilled about this or the pre-order bonuses on the steam store page. It just all feels like a big publisher release rather than a small indie that was backed by fans.

Obsidian is not a small indie. If they were they would not have gotten so much money.

Edited by Valmy
  • Like 4

• Also, the backers are going to be getting a day one patch that has many additional fixes that the review build isn't getting. The biggest change is to the Enchanting UI. Trust me when I say you will want some of these fixes/changes for your full playthrough.

Would love to hear more info about this day one patch. Like does anything change regarding attributes? Some bigger class changes? Any last big changes until they aren't really possible anymore due to release?

I agree that streamers/youtubers are a BIG part of the process, but unless Paradox are giving you guys some kind of financial bonus on pre-order sales there's no reason why they should get to play the game 4 days before the backers. The success of a game isn't defined in the first few days prior to release. Look a Larian studios with Divinity: Original Sin. The big name streamers and youtubers will still do what they do even if it's on the 26th.

There is a reason - streamers generate more interest when they show "hey, here is this game and it might interest you guys!" to all of their subscribers. That's very important to reach all people who can be potentially interested and hyped for Pillars of Eternity before the release day. Darkest Dungeon did this and was a massive success. I don't see on what grounds you criticize a proven marketing strategy?

One hundred percent agree with this, just speaking from personal experience: my interview with Josh from a few days ago has already gotten well over three thousand views on my YouTube channel, and another 500 plus on my Twitch channel, in addition to the 250 people we had during the interview itself.  I've already had ten people directly message or tell me in chat that they're buying the game as a direct result of seeing the interview and the subsequent playthrough; there are always, of course, far more people who watch something than comment upon it, which suggests that many more people will also buy the game after seeing the stream.  Now I was working with the beta backer version (which Obsidian was kind enough to send me), not the press version--but it demonstrates how important Twitch streams and YouTube videos are to overall sales, and how this kind of early exposure can really benefit the game in the short and long term.

Just adding a data point, I guess.   :)

--Arv

www.twitch.tv/arvaneleron

No one is denying the importance of it. I'm denying the importance of it 3-4 days before a game "officially" releases. It wont change a thing besides pre-order sales (instead of release day sales). I've also done videos on the BB and have sent sales their way. Of course I wasn't given anything to do so, and had to back the game to get the beta. Point is though, people will do these things regardless!

It's cool that they gave you a free copy of the beta without having to be a backer. 

It just feels like we should be the ones getting the game first, or at the very least, the same time as the famous. /rant

IGN and Giantbomb are getting copies, not Leonardo DiCaprio.

Too bad because if Leonardo Dicpario played it then it would get tons of publicity

LLOOLL! great! Please Obsidian, send a free copy to Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bruce Willis and Sly Stallone. Action, action, action! LOL

Since many are asking:

• The embargo for streaming the game is up on March 23rd. I don't remember the specific time, but I think it is 6 AM PDT.
  • The embargo for reviews and critiques is up when the game launches. This is so all press have a chance to write up and release their reviews at the same time.
  • The press are getting press versions of the game. These are not final versions, but they are pretty close. Whether or not you feel that press reviews and Twitch/YouTube streams are important, they are. They will make an enormous difference in the reception of the game. We are hoping that official press and good word of mouth from our backers will create the best launch we could possibly have. This will ensure that we are able to make sequels and more expansions for everyone.
  • I understand that some of the backers may be upset that others get to review the game before you get to play, but it is necessary if we want day one reviews to be live. If we opened up the review build to backers the majority of the game would be leaked before launch day and the press would (rightfully) break their embargos so that their reviews are relevant.
  • Also, the backers are going to be getting a day one patch that has many additional fixes that the review build isn't getting. The biggest change is to the Enchanting UI. Trust me when I say you will want some of these fixes/changes for your full playthrough.

One again, I apologize to any backers that feel slighted. That is not our intention. Our intention is to have the best launch possible. We (Obsidian and backers) have spent over two years on this journey together and we can't thank you enough. We just ask that you understand what we are doing is for maximum exposure and the good of the game.

Thanks.

OMG, I think i just lost my sh*!

• Like 2

Yeah I'm really looking forward to this day one patch, super hyped. The biggest

thing being the fix to the Enchanting UI, since it can get a little confusing at times.

Edited by wolfrider100

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

I knew it had to be Paradox involved some how. Just to clarify earlier comments: Larian Studios with Original Sin and inXile with Wasteland 2 did not have to go down the road Obsidian are doing. The game released for everyone on the same day. Period. I'm not a marketing genius, but I'm pretty sure BOTH those games were very successful in the sales department.

Hah...

Talk to WL2 backers about how well physical item fulfillment went. I suspect their European distribution contacts alone make involvement with Paradox well worth whatever percentage Obsidian is paying them.

inXile had Deep Silver as their distributor partner, who is German publisher/distributor, just to point out that such partnerships don't prevent problems with shipments of physical rewards especially when it comes to complex reward tiers.

Again I think a lot of people are confusing REVIEWERS and LP YOUTUBERS/STREAMERS. Of course you have to give copies to the reviewers. You want the game to be reviewed by professionals. The LPer on youtube isn't "reviewing" the game. He/she is PLAYING the game before you get to play the game. That's the issue I have. It's not with the reviewers. Please get this part straight.

This is an important part of the process. The majority of hype nowadays is generated by folks streaming games right before they are released. This is just the reality of the situation.

You shouldn't view streamers in any different light than reviewers. They serve much of the same function - informing users of the game (and giving them a glimpse before they purchase) and generating hype for the release. They also work off of the same principles. In the same way that reviewers won't publish reviews on games if they don't get exclusive access, streamers won't stream new games if they don't have exclusive access. Obviously that isn't universal, but it is a good rule to follow.

This isn't to denigrate the backers or what they mean to this project. We love you guys and what you do for this project more than you can know. But, this is the game that has to be played for us to be as successful as we can be.

I agree that streamers/youtubers are a BIG part of the process, but unless Paradox are giving you guys some kind of financial bonus on pre-order sales there's no reason why they should get to play the game 4 days before the backers. The success of a game isn't defined in the first few days prior to release. Look a Larian studios with Divinity: Original Sin. The big name streamers and youtubers will still do what they do even if it's on the 26th. And why would the review embargo be different from the streamers? Doesn't make any sense to me, man.

Also I have a youtube channel. 1500 subs. Can I get a press release version? I can confirm some sales I sent your way already with my BB videos. You can also Youtube search Divinity Original Sin and you'll see my work in the number 4 slot. You can also youtube search Pillars of Eternity and find me in the 8 slot with my latest BB video. Kthx in advance brospice. wink.png

Divinity Original Sin would had sent review copies for the press if they would had gotten their release version working before launch.

Divinity Original Sin also about half year long beta/early access period when everybody had access to their game's not finished builds.

Larian also invited lots of streamers and youtubers to visit their office and play game or they played game with them online before early access/beta started.

Good first day sales generate news about game and such news will make more people to be aware of game which usually generates more sales.

I would guess that Paradox handless distribution of press version of game so if you are interested of it you should contact Paradox and ask one.

One thing about Divinity Original Sin furthermore should be remembered, which is that it game out in time period when there was no recent big releases and not any big releases in near future, which made it get much more attention from gamers and press than what it would have gotten in any other time with same release planning. If we look for example Wasteland 2 from inXile that come out couple months later with about similar plan, we will see that Wasteland 2 generated much less sales than what Divinity Original Sin did even tough it was much more popular during its Kickstarer and it should noted that during it release Wasteland 2 generated also less news than Divinity Original Sin.

Again I think a lot of people are confusing REVIEWERS and LP YOUTUBERS/STREAMERS. Of course you have to give copies to the reviewers. You want the game to be reviewed by professionals. The LPer on youtube isn't "reviewing" the game. He/she is PLAYING the game before you get to play the game. That's the issue I have. It's not with the reviewers. Please get this part straight.

This is an important part of the process. The majority of hype nowadays is generated by folks streaming games right before they are released. This is just the reality of the situation.

You shouldn't view streamers in any different light than reviewers. They serve much of the same function - informing users of the game (and giving them a glimpse before they purchase) and generating hype for the release. They also work off of the same principles. In the same way that reviewers won't publish reviews on games if they don't get exclusive access, streamers won't stream new games if they don't have exclusive access. Obviously that isn't universal, but it is a good rule to follow.

This isn't to denigrate the backers or what they mean to this project. We love you guys and what you do for this project more than you can know. But, this is the game that has to be played for us to be as successful as we can be.

So why not open it up to the backers at the same time as these streamers? If the logic of allowing streamers early access is to generate hype, people who've already bought the game can't be the target demo for those streams because you already have their money.

edit: Oh, piracy, of course. Whatever, this is still horrible.

Edited by Logos

"Of all the kids in The Breakfast Club, Ally Sheedy would be the first one to sense Cthulhu's coming." -Patton Oswalt 

I can't say I'm thrilled about this or the pre-order bonuses on the steam store page. It just all feels like a big publisher release rather than a small indie that was backed by fans.

Dude, it's Obsidian Entertainment. They ain't no small indie.

So why not open it up to the backers at the same time as these streamers? If the logic of allowing streamers early access is to generate hype, people who've already bought the game can't be the target demo for those streams because you already have their money.

backers do not hold to embargos. see: broken age

• Like 2

I waited so long for this game that 3 days more won't make a difference. Everything that might ensure PoE's success is a good thing in my book because the reason (at least for me) why I backed PoE was my hunger for a Baldur's Gate like game. If PoE is successfull we'll get addons and sequels and in addition this genre might get a revival which would be awesome for us as whole.

• Like 6

The more people you give a press copy and an NDA to, the higher the likelihood that somebody will break that NDA. It's a risk/reward deal; they try to limit their risk by limiting the number of copies and keys handed out. I think they gave, like, one thousand press keys to Paradox but don't expect Paradox to hand out anywhere near that number. As opposed to the 91K backers the game had...

I don't know why there are people complaining because journalists have previous access to game than backers. In only 3 days we'll have the game. If the release date was in may, for example, nobody would be complaining.

I hope to enjoy PoE and to play lots of sequels in this beautiful setting, and we know that press and other reviewers are a key factor of the success of PoE, not only we, the backers.