PoE Embargo ends March 23rd, Backers wait for the 26th?

So I just found out that the embargo of PoE ends on the 23rd. A lot of people apparently have already gotten their copies (possibly free copies) of the game before the backers do, who must wait until the 26th to play the game they supported. I'm not sure if these are press release versions of the game or the actual release version of the game. Regardless, this really has me in a butt-hurt state of mind right now. It just feels like we should be the ones getting the game first, or at the very least, the same time as the famous. /rant

• Like 6

It's review copies. Review copies always go out ahead of release, so they can have big-name reviews on Day 1 to help boost sails. It's just marketing ploys, which will help to ensure the success of the game and thus the creation of expansions/sequels. Don't sweat it.

• Like 11

they are press copies. they were sent for review purposses and its the same thing that happens with every game. the reviewers get their filthy hands on it first

anyway, one thing that can offer a clue as to the confidence the developers/publishers have on their game is when they allow reviews to come out.

if it is before the release date, they are confident that they nailed it

if it is on release day, they are not so sure

if it is after release (like a day or 2), then they know they did something wrong and want to cash in before the sh...torm

• Like 7

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

The press release version has been distributed, so that is likely what it is. The idea is the reviews come out a few days before release to drive sales. This can be important, for example there was a bug that was not allowing a number of reviewers to play. If this happens at release, you get a flood of negative attention fron consumers. However with a smaller group under an nda they can work through it and keep their negative exposure limited.

To be clear, the embargo is still partially in place until the 26th.

Streamers are only allowed to show content up to the stronghold... which means most of Act 1 I think.

Edit: added tag for vaguely spoiler-ey stuff.

Edited by Flow

It just feels like we should be the ones getting the game first, or at the very least, the same time as the famous. /rant

IGN and Giantbomb are getting copies, not Leonardo DiCaprio.

Kickstarter or no, this is just how it works. 

• Like 8

God, I have no idea why this gets people all irate... I think everyone on this forum is having a nervous breakdown this close to the release date.

• Like 9

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

So I just found out that the embargo of PoE ends on the 23rd. A lot of people apparently have already gotten their copies (possibly free copies) of the game before the backers do, who must wait until the 26th to play the game they supported. I'm not sure if these are press release versions of the game or the actual release version of the game. Regardless, this really has me in a butt-hurt state of mind right now. It just feels like we should be the ones getting the game first, or at the very least, the same time as the famous. /rant

Its the same with every other game released. 

its not Mr. john doe that gets it, its for reviews. like IGN, GAMESPOT.. and other sites.. and its 3 days...3!! 

some people...really...just sigh.

• Like 1

It just feels like we should be the ones getting the game first, or at the very least, the same time as the famous. /rant

Too bad because if Leonardo Dicpario played it then it would get tons of publicity

It wouldn't win an Oscar doe..... 

• Like 5

Regardless, this really has me in a butt-hurt state of mind right now. It just feels like we should be the ones getting the game first, or at the very least, the same time as the famous.

Double Fine tried to be fair and give reviewers and backers a combined go.

It didn't work and massively backfired.

And that was only the first episode of a short Adventure game.

If there is a genre that needs a good chunk of time before review content spills out it's the CRPG genre.

So they have to get copies earlier. If the embargo on the other hand ended on the 26th it would ring alarm bells for many customers.

A Embargo until  or after the release date is almost always a sign, that there is something wrong with the game.

Edited by rftl
  • Like 3

For all intents and purposes, the game is "finished" as it has gone gold on March 20th. However, as someone has stated, streamers and youtubers cannot showcase anything past a certain point. Reason? Obsidian has probably a day one patch in mind but feels comfortable enough to allow that much of their product for public consumption. Furthermore, this is advertising and meant to bolster hype/visibility. Most Kickstarter backers on these boards have been "playing" the game/beta already so they know what to expect. The presumption is that being an early backer should allow us early access to the game, which it technically already has. This isn't Steam Early Access wankery.

This is good business sense and expecting more for a pledge at that level is asking to be treated like a pampered celebrity. Let it go.

• Like 2

Just a little patience, there are other games to play and other things to do. Baldur's Gate keeps being a playable and relevant game 15 years after release, 3 days won't hurt your ability to enjoy PoE. If you want to avoid spoilers, simply stay off reviewer sites (and this site too, as I expect a lot of people posting links to reviews, screens and videos).

Hoenstly, I feel like some backers are feeling a bit entitled, and all the majority did was paying 25$ early for something the rest are paying 45$, and they already got exclusive beta access on top. Just think of something else for three days, it's not the end of the world.

Edited by Emerwyn
  • Like 1

I know I'm not really in a big hurry, yeah I still want this game now, but I'm enjoying my playthrough of

Assassin's Creed Black Flag till it releases. (Right now I'm really mainly enjoying upgrading the Jackdaw.)

Edited by wolfrider100

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

I should have been more specific. I'm not talking about reviewers. It's bull**** that BIG NAME twitchers and youtubers get a copy before Backers. Hell most of them are probably going to force play the game just because they got paid to.

• Like 1

First

I should have been more specific. I'm not talking about reviewers. It's bull**** that BIG NAME twitchers and youtubers get a copy before Backers. Hell most of them are probably going to force play the game just because they got paid to.

Which Twitch and youtube personas are you talking about? game reviewers like for example AJ? and which of them is getting paid to make a review? wtf are you smoking dude?

I am not a BIG NAME twitcher, and I will be producing youtube content on the same day (from the press version).

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 5

I am not a BIG NAME twitcher, and I will be producing youtube content on the same day (from the press version).

How did you get a copy? And what do you mean by same day? March 23rd?