What neurotic habits will you be bringing to PoE?

1. Not only do I quicksave after doing just about anything, I also keep a long (often very long on the first playthrough) list of saved games with supposedly witty or cunning titles that don't actually tell me particularly much about what's going on. Inevitably, many of them will be jokes that I will not remember when I look back on them. It's part of the fun, somehow. (Assuming you can name saved games. You can name them, right? I don't recall anybody mentioning it for certain.)

2. Despite this large number of saved games that I will accumulate, I will not reload unless absolutely necessary (as in, can no longer progress, or all party members dead). The saved games are mostly insurance, and to look back on fondly.

3. I will steadfastly refuse to find help if I'm struggling to progress in a plot or solve a puzzle, until at least the third time I've played the game.

4. After so many years of playing Infinity Engine games with player-imposed restrictions, I'm not sure I'll be able to stop myself from doing that the first time I play through Pillars of Eternity. It might feel weird. I won't go full on no-reload the first time, at least.

5. Do nothing that my character wouldn't do, do everything that they would do, even if this results in skipping massive portions of the game or in extraordinarily bad decision making (I can always see those areas/outcomes later with other characters, anyhow).

6. Read every item description, every book, every journal entry, and anything else applicable.

1) If there is Fog of War on a given map, I will not be leaving said map until every bit of it that can possibly be revealed has been revealed. When I come to a map where there are inaccessible areas that don't allow me to unveil the fog of war, and there is no equivalent of the clairvoyance spell to uncover them, there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth. 

4) I'm keeping all the now-irrelevant plot material stuff I pick up. Books, scrolls, keys, whatever. I won't necessarily have them on my person, but I'll put them in a box or on a shelf somewhere in my stronghold. Just dropping them somewhere is blasphemy.  

5) When PoE 2 rolls around, I will only play characters that have been imported from the original game.

As well as all of these.

Edited by Remmirath
  • Like 1

knightofchaoss.jpg

In those scripted interaction things, Whenever I see the "Poke it with a stick" option, that will be the one I choose.

It's all about the PnP nostalgia with this game.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 2

Exploring every nook and cranny is my one gaming neurotic. But from the Prima guide pictures, seems like I'll have less stress now :).

Same here! Are you suggesting, it won't be needed? Sorry didn't get your point about Prima guide.

Ditto on the Fog of War

Quick Save before every conversation, battle, and interactive object. Regular save before I leave and enter an area. I end up saving every twenty seconds when I'm just running around an area just in case, I don't know, the game crashes or I get into an unexpected combat encounter.

That's the one. I actually hate myself for it  ;(

• Like 1

What neurotic habits will I be bringing to PoE?

None. Otherwise when I replay I wont meet new stuf

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Wasting way too much time on character creation (easily doing one character of every profession at least) before starting..

hoarding and saving too much, as well as contemplating every dialogue, if it will fit my role... hard times are coming ^^

- I will have hundreds of saves before the end of the game, just in case. Even though I rarely load anything other than the quicksave (I hit the maximum of 250 saves, archived them and then made a few dozen more by the end of DA:I and I didn't even like that game)

- I have to make screenshots of everything that seems important if I think it's unlikely I'll replay the game.... I made 11.000 screenshots in DA:I. Hopefully I'll be too engrossed in PoE to bother to make any, I haven't made any of the beta which is a good sign!)

- I have to be able to play a female character and said character has to be elven and pretty (thankfully the elven portraits are pretty), in rare cases I'll go for human. The godlike look awesome but I doubt I'll play them

- class has to be a mage-ish type or rogue-ish one

- health needs to be at or close to 100% most of the time... I worry about unexpected encounters I won't be able to win after which i'll have to reload a much earlier save (not likely, see first point but well I never said I was rational....)

- everything else mentioned in this thread

Looking back that's kind of worrying  :blink:

Come, come now, OP, no need to be so negative about yourself! In real life we would call this neurotic, but since it's a game we call this being a completionist and it just shows everyone how dedicated to the product you are. ;)

• Like 1

One of my neurotic habits has already been brought:

I have spent days now pre-planning my first build, and I reckon I have finally settled on one that I think we will work well for a first playthrough with companions and interesting options in dialogues and scripted events.

Another neurotic habit is not visiting forums such as these when all the player posts, bug reports and reviews and playthroughs roll in like a huge spoiler tsunami, so you'll probably not hear from me in a while. :)

Warning, folks! Our super-diligent Sensuki already has a copy of them game (which is of course great, for him at least - lucky bastard), and he plans to upload vids on it like tomorrow, so while I'd love to watch them, I certainly won't in the next couple of weeks or so.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I'm sure everyone has a few. Here are mine. 

1) If there is Fog of War on a given map, I will not be leaving said map until every bit of it that can possibly be revealed has been revealed. When I come to a map where there are inaccessible areas that don't allow me to unveil the fog of war, and there is no equivalent of the clairvoyance spell to uncover them, there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth. 

2) In the same spirit, every quest must be done, every nook and cranny investigated. Even the ones I hate doing. I will not miss out on some cool item or character, and even if I know a quest sucks and the reward for it sucks it must be done.

3) If there are plot holes induced by doing quests out of a certain order, in all subsequent playthroughs I will do my level best to only do the quests in the order that causes the story to make the most sense.

4) I'm keeping all the now-irrelevant plot material stuff I pick up. Books, scrolls, keys, whatever. I won't necessarily have them on my person, but I'll put them in a box or on a shelf somewhere in my stronghold. Just dropping them somewhere is blasphemy.  

5) When PoE 2 rolls around, I will only play characters that have been imported from the original game.

I'm sure there are others I can think of. I'm a neurotic person in general.  

Well you just described any hardcore RPG player (myself included)  :w00t:

• Like 1

You gotta make sure you don't accidentally say something idiotic by misreading the tone!

I find this isn't a problem outside modern bioware games.  That the dialogue choices are only loosely related to the actual dialogue is asinine.   Most games, what you pick is what you say, the only way to really get it wrong is to rush and not read it.

• Like 1

You gotta make sure you don't accidentally say something idiotic by misreading the tone!

I find this isn't a problem outside modern bioware games.  That the dialogue choices are only loosely related to the actual dialogue is asinine.   Most games, what you pick is what you say, the only way to really get it wrong is to rush and not read it.

Some games allow you to be sarcastic, which is great because I enjoy being sarcastic. The bad part is that sarcasm depends heavily on tone. So without some kind of indicator it's sometimes hard to tell whether any given response is supposed to be sarcastic or sincere.

Something like "Great, let's go" can take on a number of different meanings, all of them depending on tone and none of them obvious just by reading the words.

This is also why sarcasm on the internet can be such a tricky business sometimes.

My wizard (or equivalent? I've been avoiding all information on the game haha!) will carry all the food.

If a villain drops a stick, I'm picking that stick up and selling it for cash.

I'm going to attempt to get my main character laid with any female character with boobs. I don't care if it's not possible, I'm an excellent wing man.

If anyone in my party has 99% or less health, we're having a nap.

I'm going to screenshot my Stronghold and annoy all my Facebook friends with it.

I'm giving my main character my own name. It's a cool name.

• Like 1