What neurotic habits will you be bringing to PoE?

I'm sure everyone has a few. Here are mine. 

1) If there is Fog of War on a given map, I will not be leaving said map until every bit of it that can possibly be revealed has been revealed. When I come to a map where there are inaccessible areas that don't allow me to unveil the fog of war, and there is no equivalent of the clairvoyance spell to uncover them, there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth. 

2) In the same spirit, every quest must be done, every nook and cranny investigated. Even the ones I hate doing. I will not miss out on some cool item or character, and even if I know a quest sucks and the reward for it sucks it must be done.

3) If there are plot holes induced by doing quests out of a certain order, in all subsequent playthroughs I will do my level best to only do the quests in the order that causes the story to make the most sense.

4) I'm keeping all the now-irrelevant plot material stuff I pick up. Books, scrolls, keys, whatever. I won't necessarily have them on my person, but I'll put them in a box or on a shelf somewhere in my stronghold. Just dropping them somewhere is blasphemy.  

5) When PoE 2 rolls around, I will only play characters that have been imported from the original game.

I'm sure there are others I can think of. I'm a neurotic person in general.  

• Like 13

In fantasy settings I only play wizards . 

In modern/high tech RPGs with guns I'll play only a sniper. 

While I really appreciate the opportunity of choices to be the villain or do selfish and nasty deeds I will only choose the selfless heroic options. If I replay the game I will choose the exact same options (thus I rarely replay a game),  but I really do love being offer the choice.

• Like 1

Ditto on the Fog of War

Quick Save before every conversation, battle, and interactive object. Regular save before I leave and enter an area. I end up saving every twenty seconds when I'm just running around an area just in case, I don't know, the game crashes or I get into an unexpected combat encounter.

• Like 8

[...] 

4) I'm keeping all the now-irrelevant plot material stuff I pick up. Books, scrolls, keys, whatever. I won't necessarily have them on my person, but I'll put them in a box or on a shelf somewhere in my stronghold. Just dropping them somewhere is blasphemy.  

[...]

In Pillars of Eternity, you have an infinite stash that is accessible from everywhere, and you can't drop things once you've picked them up, so this is a bit of a redundant point.

That said, I'll probably be doing pretty much all the other points, too. I'm an otter completionist.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

[...] 

[...]

In Pillars of Eternity, you have an infinite stash that is accessible from everywhere

The removing-from-stash-anywhere thing is toggable, isn't it?

I'll probably restart a dozen times before I "discover" a chr. that I like enough to finish the game with. eg most people will have finished the game twice before I even get halfway there.

I'm typically the same re: fog of war type stuff, as well, although as the years (and years) go by I find my aging attention span/impatience occasionally trumps curiosity.

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I have to agree with the Fog of War point. I'm not going to leave the area till the whole map is clear.

Also may recreate my person over a dozen times, cause I would be unhappy till I find a build that I like.

" 5) When PoE 2 rolls around, I will only play characters that have been imported from the original game."

^ I will be so doing that too, heck I most do this.. if I don't it will not feel right to me.

Going to spend hours playing dress up with my companions, so I can check out the armor and weapons sets.

Edited by wolfrider100

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

I always spend way to much time messing with character creation.I am also very obsessive about exploring every nook and cranny on a map/quest before moving on.And I also read every book or bit of lore I can find.

• Like 2

"Very well permit me on this night. To break your hearts once more. This is the story of the Chain of Dogs. Of Coltaine of the Crow Clan, newly come fist to the 7th Army"- Duiker:Memories of Ice

hoarding potions, scrolls and other consumables.. Because I might need it next fight :D

Oh Yeah and don't forgot hoarding vast amounts of gold.    I think Divinity Original Sin broke me out of the hoarding scrolls and potions habit.  I actually felt I had to use them in a lot of encounters especially the resurrect scrolls.

[...] 

[...]

In Pillars of Eternity, you have an infinite stash that is accessible from everywhere

The removing-from-stash-anywhere thing is toggable, isn't it?

Possibly, I can't check at the moment. At the end of the day, that doesn't really matter, because the game is designed around it. You'll use it or end up shooting yourself.

t50aJUd.jpg

That's not the impression I've been getting, but I'll judge when I get to see it. I've been under the impression that it's designed around the picking up of tons of loot and the putting into the stash of most things; the idea is that you make potions, make scrolls, do enchantments, sell stuff, etc. at the stronghold, town, or camp. Like in a D&D game, where at the end of your play session the DM let's you go back to town to rest and offload. I'm glad I won't have to leave loot all over the ground because I don't have the perfect mix of character stats to get the right amount of weight capacity. Inventory management was never something I wanted to be doing anyway.

• Like 1

This one I think everyone has. Even Josh, I saw him do it in a video: to set volume bars only in numbers that end in 5 or 0.

Also, in IE games I couldn't stand a group of arrows or bullets that were not at their maximum number in the inventory. If it was below, I would just throw it in the ground, xP. Damn, I used to spend a lot of time just tiding up the inventory, organizing the objects in groups and stuff, got over it though. 

• Like 1

ditto on the exploring...I always have to explore each zone completely before I leave.

I don't like quests so I skip all but the main quest line and I also like to kill every single npc that is possible to. So I slaughter entire towns if I can.

also I spend a lot of time managing my party's equipment. I like to make sure I have the best equipment at each point in the game rather than rushing to the end and just getting the most powerful set later on.

Chronic restarts. The struggle is real. And constant quicksaves too but I don't see that as much of a problem.

Yeah. I'm bad enough about this in normal games.   With PoE's obfuscation of mechanics, I expect several frustrated restarts.

Chronic restarts. The struggle is real. And constant quicksaves too but I don't see that as much of a problem.

This. I'm a sucker for character creation. I've been dead-set on a Deathlike Paladin, but should Kaz come up with an Eldoth- or Edwin-like human portrait... I may actually go Human.

Friggin' human, man.

t50aJUd.jpg

- explore everything of the map

- try to finish all side quests before continuing the main quest

- I always play a good char. I tried to play some games the evil way but usually I quit after a short time (like NWN2). The only exception was arcanum. After finishing the game with a char with max talking skill who finished all quests the best possible way I replayed it with an idiot orc fighter/thief. The idiot answers are so funny and usually you do not get the best result as idiot anyway. He always took the worst option and killed several towns.

- save often. Before every fight, before you talk to somebody, before you open something and before you enter a new area.

- reload a lot. Give the wrong answer, a char takes too much damage or dies, I run into a trap -> reload

- I spend a lot of time with character creation (2h rerolling to create a party for IWD) . But when I choose a char I stick with it till the end unless the char turns out to be very useless.

- I do not use any mods. (except a community patch for very buggy games). I want to play the game as the developer has created it. After finishing Bg1+2 several times I installed BGT, but I almost feel like a cheater now.

- I grab everything that is not nailed to the ground and sell it, even if I swim in money.

- I have no problems to rest often. In NWN2 I rested after every fight. In other games I returned to the inn when my chars were hurt.

EDIT: - Play the game for the first time without help. Then read a guide (if possible the official one) and try to find absolutely everything if I play it again.

Looks like I am really paranoid, but my other personalities and the invisible evil forces that hunt me like it that way and I myself do not care ;)

Edited by Madscientist

Once I get the Stronghold I will upgrade everything I can. If upgrades require both money and time, I'll just faff about uselessly to pass the minutes. I will only stop upgrading the Stronghold once the money runs out. At that point, I will continue playing to the game until I have enough money to continue upgrading.

If, later in the game, I run into an architect or something who can overhaul/upgrade the looks and/or functions of the Stronghold the whole process will start over again.

• Like 1

I'll probably restart a dozen times before I "discover" a chr. that I like enough to finish the game with. eg most people will have finished the game twice before I even get halfway there.

I'm typically the same re: fog of war type stuff, as well, although as the years (and years) go by I find my aging attention span/impatience occasionally trumps curiosity.

Indeed. My aging attention span gets me too at times. Time flies.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox