My Pillars of Eternity Story

Sensuki

It takes courage to put up a video like this and you have a lot of it Sensuki.

I have great respect for the level of dedication and enthusiasm that you, Sensuki, and so many backers have shown through the development process. Yes, there have been times where the daggers were drawn and venom was flying in seemingly every direction. (It can sometimes be difficult to contain one's emotions and focus on the positive when there is so much relentless passion encircling our ideas and efforts.) However, I truly feel that from the constant vigilance that has been shown in these forums a better game has been made.

Thank you Sensuki for leading the charge and giving me so many helpful and detailed videos to watch in the bug/support forums. As well as for leading many discussion threads that, no doubt, sparked the fires needed for constructive discussion and change. Being an IE enthusiast myself, I am glad to not have been the only one who's well worn the line, "...in the Infinity Engine games..." over these past many months.

Thank you for this insight into your journey and I hope that on March 26th you find Pillars to be worth every drop of the blood, sweat, and tears that have gone into it.  :thumbsup:

-N

• Like 21

Wow sensuki your childhood much like my our youth. I was very much in to AOE 1,2, rise of nations, AoM, TW series and Warcraft 3.

it wasn't til recent I started get into to the IE games (sadly after The Kickstarter) 

three and a half years ago, I stopped playing Diablo 3 because it didn't bring the same vibe the game I play as a preteen, then I was surf and hear about PoE kickstarter from youtube channel Forcefeed. At the time all I heard was "isometric", "rpg", and "story-driven". During the starting of the Kickstarter Campaign, if someone had ask me if i heard of Blackisles and Bioware early IE games I wouldn't have known a thing. I did a lot of research IE games and I have play Star War Kotor 1 & 2, so I because well aware of the real-time with pause system. When I realize that there were rpgs that use real-time with pause AoE 2, I said to myself "where in the hell was Blackisles hiding these games". At last days of the Kickstarter I was going through some tough financial problems coff coff college coff  and unfortunately I could spare 5$.

As I get my feet on the ground, I bought BGEE 1 & 2 just to see what I would be get in to. At first, it was brute (**** that bear outside of candlekeep), then after weeks of play BG I fell the game thank to Mike RPG Center. the tactical and rpg elements in the game fell like I was reliving my childhood all over again. Since then I have beaten both BG 1 & 2 and I'm currently on a IWDEE play-through. I even slacker back PoE for $84. I feel like past two and a half was very enlightening seeing all the updates from 1 to 90 and all the forum members comments from your input and opinion to Lephy fun comments. PoE game isn't only a game, it was journey for both the Developers and us. On March 26, I hope this journey "echos on to eternity"

• Like 2

I don't normally date planetouched girls, but when I do the Tiefling is already in the sack 

stay rolling my friends!  :fdevil: 

Thanks Sensuki for sharing your PoE story and a big thank you for your contribution in general. Also it's nice to hear that you are feeling more positive about the game :) Hopefully you will still enjoy PoE after all the hours you've put into the beta. Hats off to you!

Edited by Forlorn Hope

"Maybe your grandiose vocabulary is a pathetic compensation for an insufficiency in the nether regions of your anatomy."

Sensuki, have you ever tried the Myth series ? If not, you should totally check out Myth2: Soulblighter. It's awesome tactic strategy game. I finished both games in last 5 years, it didn't age at all. 

that game was brutal but fun.

@Sensuki

Its nice to see everyone having their own closure about this developement process.

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Sensuki, have you ever tried the Myth series ? If not, you should totally check out Myth2: Soulblighter. It's awesome tactic strategy game. I finished both games in last 5 years, it didn't age at all.

Nah I have not. I will look it up.

Sens. Without a shadow of a doubt, you are the nuttiest squirrel on these forums and have an ego just a little bigger than Australia. ;)

But there is no denying it... You've been an absolute soldier during the Backer Beta. I am sure that the Obsidian Q&A team has been glad to have you as an unofficial part of their army during the development of PoE. 

It's been an exciting run. All of us who can still remember the initial Kickstarter video Josh & Co. are pumped that we're finally at gold release. Thanks for the passion. Am sure that, you helped move the needle in the right direction for us all. ^_^ <3

Edited by swordofthesith
  • Like 6

Yeah, great job Sensuki! I don't own the backer beta, and I was able to follow much of the game features and the associated problematic issues from your videos. Thanks again for your dedication!

As for Myth games (in particular Myth II), they have the most awesome physics engine and the goriest gameplay I have ever seen in a game. It is an isometric real time tactical-fantasy type of game and I am sure you would love it. I am actually surprised how you have missed it as a 90s era gamer ;)  There are still many people playing it competitively multiplayer and annual tournaments and events are being held.

Someday I'll have to boot up my server with it's CRT monitor and give it a go :)

Third vote for trying the Myth games. They are absolutely forgotten gems, my favorite RTS games of all time and have really great story/atmosphere to boot.

Edited by Jotra

Oh god, the Myth games. I only really played one of them, I think, and it was awesome. They have not aged well, so it's up to how much you can stand super-dated 3D graphics.

Personally, I have no troubles playing a pixelized sprite game from 1990, but the second you start showing me the old, early 3D models, I want to hurl. For the longest, longest time, I hated 3D graphics simply because it always looked terrible, even when 3D graphics were new. My brother kept going "Oh they move so realistically" and "Oh, this looks so awesome", while I thought people around me were going ****ing insane.

But yes, Sensuki, if you didn't try them at the time, since you are a pretty big fan of the genre, you should definitely look into trying them.

I also want to take this opportunity to thank you for the vid, your continued support of PoE is truly admirable and many of your experiences mirror my own (except I didn't have anyone to go LAN IE games with, but I did LAN a lot). It's sad to have seen the LAN culture go down the gutter.

• Like 6

t50aJUd.jpg

Oh god, the Myth games. I only really played one of them, I think, and it was awesome. They have not aged well, so it's up to how much you can stand super-dated 3D graphics.

Personally, I have no troubles playing a pixelized sprite game from 1990, but the second you start showing me the old, early 3D models, I want to hurl. For the longest, longest time, I hated 3D graphics simply because it always looked terrible, even when 3D graphics were new. My brother kept going "Oh they move so realistically" and "Oh, this looks so awesome", while I thought people around me were going ****ing insane.

But yes, Sensuki, if you didn't try them at the time, since you are a pretty big fan of the genre, you should definitely look into trying them.

Actually, the Myth games have 3-D environment and 2-D sprites. So in my opinion it has aged considerably well. 

Also, if you own the original Myth II, you can update it with an unofficial patch from http://projectmagma.net/  which drastically improves the game and allows higher resolution support. This update is required to be able to play Myth II multiplayer on Gate of Storms server (the only server available). Multiplayer is tough and requires a lot of microing, however, it is ridiculously fun thanks to the crazy physics engine.

• Like 1

Compare this thread and the RPG Codex thread around your video.

Seriously, f*ck those guys.

I know I've already said my piece earlier in the thread but you are one dedicated mothertrucker with the amount of work you've done on bug hunting and suggestions.

• Like 1

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

I genuinely believe the feedback and effort from Sensuki made this game AT LEAST 10% better.

Sometimes the threads got heated etc., emotions ran high, but the posts were always constructive... And much more often than not, they were based in fact, not opinion.

Seriously. I want to thank you because I'm convinced you helped a great deal and I'm going to play a much better game in 4 days because of it.

Thank you for your passion, diligence, and your time spent improving Pillars of Eternity. I loved the IE games and felt terrible after those types of games stopped getting produced. I couldn't understand why, since I didn't buy many other types of games. Anyway nostalgia is a powerful force and it's difficult to divorce oneself from your earliest feelings and how you would feel today if you experienced the same thing. That said, I hope this game lives up to your and many of our high standards (and we all know you'll mod it if it doesn't! :)).

Seriously, you are the ultimate fan.

Seriously, you are the ultimate fan.

Yah get a life Sensuki

He has a life; it's PoE.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

With less than a week to go before release, I thought I would talk about my story and why I'm so invested in Pillars of Eternity

Cheers. You have made a positive difference on the game.

Your engagement exploit videos were especially good. It was a non-obvious problem and it would have been a bad thing to discover it after release.

Here's hoping for a successful launch, many successful sequels and a wake up call to others in the industry about good writing and engaging gameplay vs. shiny crap.

• Like 1

With less than a week to go before release, I thought I would talk about my story and why I'm so invested in Pillars of Eternity

Cheers. You have made a positive difference on the game.

Your engagement exploit videos were especially good. It was a non-obvious problem and it would have been a bad thing to discover it after release.

Here's hoping for a successful launch, many successful sequels and a wake up call to others in the industry about good writing and engaging gameplay vs. shiny crap.

I wonder if they can actually fix them, though, and if so, how they did it.

t50aJUd.jpg