Priest Deity spells could use a buff

I might the only one who cares about this but I'm probably going to roll a Priest in my first game as I really like the class in general, but I find the abilities the Priest gets from their deity specific talents underwhelming. I have fond memories of choosing my domain spells in various 3e games and I think it was a very cool style of character building, I hope Obsidian considers developing this aspect further in the expansion.

For now though maybe a small buff is in order. Now arguably those talents are worth taking for the weapon accuracy bonus alone but that's not really the point for me, I don't care so much about making every talent equally valuable compared to every other talent, but I do think it's nice if the deity choices feel impactful and distinct.

So simple suggestion that wouldn't break anything:

-Bump it to 2 uses per day

-Make it the actual version of the spell not a lesser version, are spells like Dazzling Lights and Corrosive Siphon really so good the priest has to have a lesser version of them?

Wilder suggestion, just add the bonus spell to the Priest spell book at the appropriate level to be cast whenever consuming slots as normal. This is how domain spells worked and it would add to the versatility of the class.

• Like 1

I don't really know much about the priests but I believe that it's their belief in a god that lets them cast spells, not the actual god who might not even care about the priest or even be aware of him, so maybe that's why they don't want to give their Deity spells a whole lot of power like the Lathander or Talos spells(which I thought rocked since they turned my healbot into an ok nuker in IWD2)

I might the only one who cares about this but I'm probably going to roll a Priest in my first game as I really like the class in general, but I find the abilities the Priest gets from their deity specific talents underwhelming. I have fond memories of choosing my domain spells in various 3e games and I think it was a very cool style of character building, I hope Obsidian considers developing this aspect further in the expansion.

For now though maybe a small buff is in order. Now arguably those talents are worth taking for the weapon accuracy bonus alone but that's not really the point for me, I don't care so much about making every talent equally valuable compared to every other talent, but I do think it's nice if the deity choices feel impactful and distinct.

So simple suggestion that wouldn't break anything:

-Bump it to 2 uses per day

-Make it the actual version of the spell not a lesser version, are spells like Dazzling Lights and Corrosive Siphon really so good the priest has to have a lesser version of them?

Wilder suggestion, just add the bonus spell to the Priest spell book at the appropriate level to be cast whenever consuming slots as normal. This is how domain spells worked and it would add to the versatility of the class.

I believe they do become more powerful as the game progresses, at least according to the in-game description and gamepedia.

Holy Radiance – Creates a field of holy energy around the priest, Burning any vessels in the vicinity and regenerating a modest amount of Stamina for allies. The power of a priest's Holy Radiance is modified by how well his or her Reputations align with the preferred behaviors of his or her faith.

It's quite possible that they are weak in the beta because of a lack of reputation. In the full release, I would assume that the abilities will become much more powerful as the party aligns itself to the priests reputation requirements. Of course this is speculation, but I would hope it to be the case!

Edited by Styger

I believe they do become more powerful as the game progresses, at least according to the in-game description and gamepedia.

Holy Radiance – Creates a field of holy energy around the priest, Burning any vessels in the vicinity and regenerating a modest amount of Stamina for allies. The power of a priest's Holy Radiance is modified by how well his or her Reputations align with the preferred behaviors of his or her faith.

It's quite possible that they are weak in the beta because of a lack of reputation. In the full release, I would assume that the abilities will become much more powerful as the party aligns itself to the priests reputation requirements. Of course this is speculation, but I would hope it to be the case!

I think only Holy Radiance has reputation mechanic and not the deity specific spells.  Each deity has a special ability, such as Hope Eternal (Eothas), Prey on the Weak (Skaen), Inspired Flame (Magran), etc.  Each deity spell gives a weapon accuracy bonus and a special effect.  For example, Hope Eternal gives an accuracy bonus to Flails, and a spell that heals and reduces fear duration.

I agree with the OP that a small buff to these spells would be nice.  Alternatively, it may be nice if those deity spells also increased in power akin to Holy Radiance.

Edited by Nixl
  • Like 2

Alternatively, it may be nice if those deity spells also increased in power akin to Holy Radiance.

Yeah that would be pretty cool actually.

It would definitely fit within the devotion/reputation mechanics Priests already have with Holy Radiance.  With regards to balance, most of the spells already start out as weaker versions of other spells, and so I do not think it would create a balance issue. 

I think only Holy Radiance has reputation mechanic and not the deity specific spells.  Each deity has a special ability, such as Hope Eternal (Eothas), Prey on the Weak (Skaen), Inspired Flame (Magran), etc.  Each deity spell gives a weapon accuracy bonus and a special effect.  For example, Hope Eternal gives an accuracy bonus to Flails, and a spell that heals and reduces fear duration.

I agree with the OP that a small buff to these spells would be nice.  Alternatively, it may be nice if those deity spells also increased in power akin to Holy Radiance.

Ah, I missed that distinction initially, thanks for pointing that out! I'll still hope for a bonus to power though with the reputation gains, as it'd give more credence towards acting one way vs another, and encourage more people to roleplaying their characters.

oh, my how come a +10 acc diety favoured weapon bonus stackable with a weapon focus is underwhelming?

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

The accuracy bonus is a great bonus, and I have no complaints about that.  In contrast, the actual spell portion feels a little underwhelming.  I remember barely registering Hope Eternal's heal, although I did not test it against a fear effect.  Moreover, these spells are per rest if I remember correctly.  Therefore, I think these deity spells could use a boost. 

That being said, I also do not know the math behind how reputation benefits Holy Radiance.  That is something that I need to look up.  It would be interesting to know whether the Holy Radiance reputation mechanic could feasibly be given to these deity spells.   I know that this is probably a small issue, especially when the developers are focusing on last minute details for release. 

Edited by Nixl

I don't know that they need to become more powerful necessarily.  But as the signature effect of the priesthood, per encounter rather than per rest would go a long way in my book.

@mrmonocle- it is fine if you want to use those two weapons.  It is horrifyingly restrictive if you don't, and as is, the mini-spells don't give you a reason to take the talent.

Skaen or Magran(just for Arquebus) is best.

Skaen can give a decent amount of extra damage using any weapon with the sneak attack. It's much better than a nerfed version of some odd spell from the Druid or Wizard selection. I'd rather get feat-like bonuses than such underwhelming 1/rest spells.

• Like 1

I don't know that they need to become more powerful necessarily.  But as the signature effect of the priesthood, per encounter rather than per rest would go a long way in my book.

@mrmonocle- it is fine if you want to use those two weapons.  It is horrifyingly restrictive if you don't, and as is, the mini-spells don't give you a reason to take the talent.

A switch to per encounter is another way to give these spells a boost.  Ultimately, the spells are both (a) weaker versions of already existing spells and (b) per rest.  Both restrictions together make the deity spells seem a little underwhelming.  I realize that the deity spells exist mainly to add flavor, but the spells seem too restricted.  For now, I do like the idea of a reputation bonus for these spells similar to Holy Radiance. 

I admit that my favorite aspects of the Priests is the deity spells and reputation system (even if the spells have zero consequence), and so I would love for Obsidian to build upon this sytem.

Edited by Nixl