General Understanding of Stat Spread

Styger

So, looking at all the posts, and playing the game numerous times now,  I still find myself a little confused in terms of the stats to choose for each class. This is what I currently have in mind though, as the top three stats per class-type.

Leader (Assuming a support or caster class, such as Chanter):

Perception

Intellect/Resolve (dependent on class choice, one or the other)

Might

DPS:

Might

Intellect

Dexterity

Tank:

Constitution (If high/very high bonus for class, otherwise, no change)

Perception

Resolve

Support/Healer:

Might

Intellect

Dexterity

So as you see, anything that directly affects entities on the field, the DPS and the Support/Healer, are going to have similar stats to have the greatest effect with their abilities. Tank, since enemies will engage the closest character, simply needs to be kept up. Finally, Leader role such as a Chanter (either ranged or Melee) is going to want dialogue based stats first, then rest into Might to improve attack and damage.

Any thoughts?

You only have 2 splits really if you're looking for efficiency...

• CON/PER/RES: for tanks
  • MIG/DEX/INT: for everyone else

Not sure what you're looking at with PER/INT/MIG distribution.

As an aside, since I'm guessing PER/INT/RES will be the most common/useful in dialog interactions (not cutscenes though), that makes tanks pretty good main characters, which is 100% fine for me, I always pick my main as a tank anyway :)

• Like 2

As an aside, since I'm guessing PER/INT/RES will be the most common/useful in dialog interactions (not cutscenes though), that makes tanks pretty good main characters, which is 100% fine for me, I always pick my main as a tank anyway :)

That's actually exactly what I was looking at; to have a character that would be able to navigate dialogue options freely to affect the pacing through RP, not so heavily in combat. A call back to Planescape.

Then I'd say PER/INT/RES is your go to selection for dialogs. If you want to go Brutish instead of Convincing, then swap RES for MIG I guess, as you suggested?

DEX is probably cool too so a MIG/DEX/INT dps will have some neat options, but I'm guessing that would suit better for brutal/evil main character (stealing things, beating people up, etc).

For cutscenes, there's everything in stats, skills and items required so I wouldn't worry about it, especially since you can use companions for these.

For my Cipher I'm probably going to put 18 in Might and Intelligence and I guess that leaves 2 points to put into Dexterity. I'm not sure if thats ideal though, I might need to sacrifice something for more Dex. Weapon choice could be a factor.

For my Cipher I'm probably going to put 18 in Might and Intelligence and I guess that leaves 2 points to put into Dexterity. I'm not sure if thats ideal though, I might need to sacrifice something for more Dex. Weapon choice could be a factor.

I would say that combat happens so quickly, that it might be better to stick with that spread, and move some points from constitution over to dex, since they get a 'low' bonus to endurance. Since they'll probably been in the back lines, it shouldn't be much of an issue. If it is getting hit, then something's already terribly wrong!

That's actually exactly what I was looking at; to have a character that would be able to navigate dialogue options freely to affect the pacing through RP, not so heavily in combat. A call back to Planescape.

Except they claim the stat-based dialogue options are spread equally and aren't even necessarily the best choice.  So honestly this means making a combat ineffective character for nothing.  'Normal' dialogue options (and reputation options- benevolent, rational, cruel, etc) seem more suited to RPing than 'you smell, so obviously no one would bed you.'  Not that Might/Int is combat ineffective, but taking some of the other stats just because doesn't seem to serve much purpose on either end of the system.  

@Diogenes- for a cipher, dex seems useful but not that important.  A couple big guns and switching between them to avoid reload times should top your pool and pick it back up after burning through power points.  At that point, the combat is likely to be decided one way or another.  (Basically: opening shot, burn points, second shot to gain more points, burn and... probably done).  More damage and keeping enemies debuffed longer seems far more important. 

Edited by Voss

A table is pretty pointless for PoE. 

Might, for example, is +3% damage and healing, and +2 Fortitude defense, per point over 10.  And -3% damage/heal and -2 Fortitude per point under 10.

Each stat pair affects one defense (fortitude, reflex and will) at +/-2 per point above/below 10 and affects a couple other things as either a percentage (often 3), or in the case of perception and resolve, also deflection at +/- 1 per point from 10. 

Except they claim the stat-based dialogue options are spread equally and aren't even necessarily the best choice.  So honestly this means making a combat ineffective character for nothing.  'Normal' dialogue options (and reputation options- benevolent, rational, cruel, etc) seem more suited to RPing than 'you smell, so obviously no one would bed you.'  Not that Might/Int is combat ineffective, but taking some of the other stats just because doesn't seem to serve much purpose on either end of the system.  

I'm going off the assumption that while a strength character might be able to have dialogue based options, a character with higher intellect and perception might notice things more in the environment and with other NPCs, lending themselves to have more interactions. I don't recall if I ever saw a post about equal opportunities, and from what I experienced in the BB, resolve, perception, and intellect were king in dialogue, following those were the skills.

As for the other stats making you combat neutered, well those stats lend themselves to a more caster-tank individual, such as a Chanter, Pally, etc.

As for the other stats making you combat neutered, well those stats lend themselves to a more caster-tank individual, such as a Chanter, Pally, etc.

Just tank from what I've seen.  Most casters want Might and Int., both for extra damage, bigger AoEs and longer durations on control spells.  AoEs certainly matter for paladin modals, and duration and radius matter a lot for chanters.

Edited by Voss