question about the people in the game

I recently heard about this game and that it's coming out pretty soon; it also looks just like some of the older RPGs I used to play! Reminds me of good ol' Baldur's Gate.

I was pretty excited when I saw the picture of Pillars of Eternity, what with the Chinese Shaolin monk guy punching some monster in the face. Finally there's an Asian person in a game. It seems like it's always all white guys with token black guy.

So what's the story on that particular fighter? Or what the Asian race is in that game?

Well, human kind in world of Eternity is separated into three types: Meadowfolk, Oceanfolk and Savannahfolk. Asian one is savannah folk (called Natlan in-game term). They are physically similar to Native American (Aztec, Inca, Maya) or Asian people. They come from savannah plains (called Ixamitl) and they made monk class (first monk representative were Ixamitlans). But there is also other Natlan community living in a country known as Readceras. Because it was a colony of Aedyr Empire for many years ago, they speak other language (Aedyran) and have different customs from their Ixamitlan cousins (in fact probably only Natlan origin join those two cultures). Ixamitl has stratificated sociality (castes) and very long philosophical tradition and Readceras is like some kind of 'monotheistic' theocracy.

More about monk class you can read on official wiki: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Monk

Edited by White Phoenix

There are no race that directly has Asian influence on them at least not yet. 

Monk in question was(maybe is) belong is Savannah folk, which are olive skinned and look similiar to Mesoamericans and their outfits are Bulgarian- and Ethopian-inspired (in their original culture in the game).

Also he was early character concept and we don't know if he is actually in the game, but even if he is he isn't companion character for the player so even he exist he don't play role of token black guy.

Monk class is heavily influenced by D&D's monk class which is influenced heavily by Shaolin monks. Although there are some non-twists that try make them non-stereotypical, but don't necessary succeed perfectly. As monks in PoE are heavily into mortification of flesh and their abilities are fueled by damage they take in combat. 

• Like 1

I always interpreted the savannah folk as ethnically asian-esque, albeit influenced heavily by cultural and geographic tropes that would be alien to them in our world (similar to the Vailians being modeled largely as sub-saharan africans yet clearly influenced by higher Mediterranean cultures and the European renaissance.

Edit: Although I just realized that you might have been speaking entirely culturally, in which case, yeah, there's actually no "asian" cultural trope yet. If there ever are, I wonder how it'll be handled, given that all other racial/cultural tropes have been mixed up to a degree. American Indians with Gunpowder Samurais adhering to a strict montheistic religion?

...actually I'd be more than fine with that.

Edit 2: It should also be noted that the shaolin-looking monk OP is talking about, Forton, also seen here, is no longer in the game. At least not as a CNPC. To the chagrin of many. I thought he seemed cool (but not as cool as our dear, lost Cadegund, whom we'll probably never see as a CNPC. With Forton there's at least a chance in the future, depending on whether he's in the game at all (maybe as a regular NPC?) at the moment or what happens or happened to him.

Edit 3: Also, I find the "finally asians!" sentiment to be odd. I can't think of that many RPG:s where there's no asians or asianesques, except arguably Dragon Age or something. At least not since BG1, although it's not really strange that settings focused on a small area in a pre-industrialized universe wouldn't feature a massive diversity. If anything, it's odd that Yoshimo isn't more of an oddity in BG2 than he is (that is, not at all).

...although Athkatla is a massive port city in the background, so I guess there'd be a greater degree.. but still. But now I'm just rambling.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Savannah Folk are ethnically based on Mesoamerican type fellows and similar rather than Asians. Not to say you can't have an Asian dude who is a native Savannah Folk, he/she just won't be part of the predominate ethnic makeup.

Eh, fair enough.

This is where I could argue like an autist that american indians (whether north- or south-american) are actually asians, but eh, still different enough so it's a moot point.

It could've just been the epicanthic fold that threw me off and got me thinking down the "asian" path and then I just got stuck there.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Savannah Folk are ethnically based on Mesoamerican type fellows and similar rather than Asians. Not to say you can't have an Asian dude who is a native Savannah Folk, he/she just won't be part of the predominate ethnic makeup.

Eh, fair enough.

This is where I could argue like an autist that american indians (whether north- or south-american) are actually asians, but eh, still different enough so it's a moot point.

It could've just been the epicanthic fold that threw me off and got me thinking down the "asian" path and then I just got stuck there.

Probably. Though fact is, epicanthic folds are also extremely common among the Polish and Scandinavians. :lol:

Eh, fair enough.

Probably. Though fact is, epicanthic folds are also extremely common among the Polish and Scandinavians. :lol:

I would not say "extremely", it is in fact very uncommon. The only "scandinavians" I can think of that has epicanthic folds are the sami, but they are ethnically asian, too (although since heavily mixed). But variations do occur, in relatively mixed populations (Finnish, Polish; the relative degree can be argued). But when you say epicanthic folds, I think of the more pronounced epicanthic folds. Obviously, if one mentions them as a trait, it's a characteristic pronounced enough to be worth mentioning.

Honestly at this point I get the feeling that we're just talking about epicanthic folds to avoid calling it slanted eyes or something. :lol:

t50aJUd.jpg

Eh, fair enough.

I would not say "extremely", it is in fact very uncommon. The only "scandinavians" I can think of that has epicanthic folds are the sami, but they are ethnically asian, too (although since heavily mixed). But variations do occur, in relatively mixed populations (Finnish, Polish; the relative degree can be argued). But when you say epicanthic folds, I think of the more pronounced epicanthic folds. Obviously, if one mentions them as a trait, it's a characteristic pronounced enough to be worth mentioning.

Honestly at this point I get the feeling that we're just talking about epicanthic folds to avoid calling it slanted eyes or something. :lol:

I'd say epicanthic folds in general are extremely common among those populations, but that in general it is less pronounced than is common among the Asian population and that relatively extreme version is not particularly common at all.

Fun fact: I once read a fantasy story where Asians and Elves both were consistently and without fail described as having "strange almond-shaped eyes". The desperate avoidance was actually more distracting than if he'd just come out and said it. :)

Edited by Katarack21

Well, human kind in world of Eternity is separated into three types: Meadowfolk, Oceanfolk and Savannahfolk. Asian one is savannah folk (called Natlan in-game term). They are physically similar to Native American (Aztec, Inca, Maya) or Asian people. They come from savannah plains (called Ixamitl) and they made monk class (first monk representative were Ixamitlans). But there is also other Natlan community living in a country known as Readceras. Because it was a colony of Aedyr Empire for many years ago, they speak other language (Aedyran) and have different customs from their Ixamitlan cousins (in fact probably only Natlan origin join those two cultures). Ixamitl has stratificated sociality (castes) and very long philosophical tradition and Readceras is like some kind of 'monotheistic' theocracy.

More about monk class you can read on official wiki: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Monk

Thanks! That's what I was looking for.

Rumors have it, that there's an exquisite Chinese restaurant in Twin Elms.

Uh, what?

I always interpreted the savannah folk as ethnically asian-esque, albeit influenced heavily by cultural and geographic tropes that would be alien to them in our world (similar to the Vailians being modeled largely as sub-saharan africans yet clearly influenced by higher Mediterranean cultures and the European renaissance.

Edit: Although I just realized that you might have been speaking entirely culturally, in which case, yeah, there's actually no "asian" cultural trope yet. If there ever are, I wonder how it'll be handled, given that all other racial/cultural tropes have been mixed up to a degree. American Indians with Gunpowder Samurais adhering to a strict montheistic religion?

...actually I'd be more than fine with that.

Edit 2: It should also be noted that the shaolin-looking monk OP is talking about, Forton, also seen here, is no longer in the game. At least not as a CNPC. To the chagrin of many. I thought he seemed cool (but not as cool as our dear, lost Cadegund, whom we'll probably never see as a CNPC. With Forton there's at least a chance in the future, depending on whether he's in the game at all (maybe as a regular NPC?) at the moment or what happens or happened to him.

Edit 3: Also, I find the "finally asians!" sentiment to be odd. I can't think of that many RPG:s where there's no asians or asianesques, except arguably Dragon Age or something. At least not since BG1, although it's not really strange that settings focused on a small area in a pre-industrialized universe wouldn't feature a massive diversity. If anything, it's odd that Yoshimo isn't more of an oddity in BG2 than he is (that is, not at all).

...although Athkatla is a massive port city in the background, so I guess there'd be a greater degree.. but still. But now I'm just rambling.

I thought that Forton guy looked weird in the drawing. Nothing like the picture in the Pillars of Eternity logo. I didn't even think they were supposed to be the same person.

I totally forgot Yoshino was in Baldur's Gate. I'm pretty sure I killed him for being a traitor to the group right in the beginning of the game. But you can't think of many RPGs where there aren't Asians? Really? I would say I have a hard time thinking of a game that has any Asians in it, let alone to any significant degree. Most RPGs all look like they take place in medieval Europe with the standard themes of fighter, mage, rogue, dragons, orcs and elves. I mean, if you're creating a world that's totally fictional with fictional creatures and animals, why make it look like medieval Europe but only Caucasian people + fake creatures? Medieval Europe was an intellectual cesspool back then and a backwater continent in those days anyways.