[480] Trap damage on enemies + cheap encounter design comment

mutonizer

Question

Again, note sure if already reported, sorry if so.

Lle a Rhemen, Spiderlings trap after going down the hole in the ground.

Bug: 

Trap doing 200+ damage to enemies only puts them on injured status instead of instantly killing them.

Note:

And included comments about really bad encounter design as well, just because I didn't have a GM to punch in the face, so you'll do :)

7 answers to this question

They don't, the trap is NOT of their faction (unlike all the traps in the Skaen temple for example where enemies will never trigger them because they are from their own faction).

Here the trap is triggered by THEM (unique as far as I know in BB), damages them, and the game artificially ****s you over regarding party formation and marching order after a dialog interaction.

Also, the bug report is about the fact that the damage listed should kill the spiders instantly, and it doesn't, which could indicate an issue somewhere.

Oh, they get hurt aswell... yeah thats odd I guess.
Is it possible to disarm it before they reach it?
Perhaps they are jus less intelligent than skaen dudes.

Not sure if there is supposed to be a standard for trap triggering mechanics.
Perhaps in some areas, enemies will trigger them aswell, and in some they are immune (because they have set them themselves) 

Edited by Striped_Wolf

Oh, they get hurt aswell... yeah thats odd I guess.

Is it possible to disarm it before they reach it?

Perhaps they are jus less intelligent than skaen dudes.

Not sure if there is supposed to be a standard for trap triggering mechanics.

Perhaps in some areas, enemies will trigger them aswell, and in some they are immune (because they have set them themselves) 

No, the enemies aggro you instantly so you can't toggle sneak mode and since this is after a dialog interaction and all dialog interactions remove sneak toggles by default, you're forced into it.

And it's not about intelligence really.

As far as I understand it from looking at the code a bit, traps have factions linked to them, which will determine who they trigger on and who they damage. I'm guessing usually (skaen temple for example), they have "enemy" as faction, which means no "enemy" will trigger them (though they probably still can take friendly fire? Not sure, depends on the spell linked to the trap I guess).

Here, I'm guessing the traps are on the Neutral faction or something else and the position of the trap is clearly made to be triggered by the spiders AND damage only one or two members of your back row before you can really react (unless you know about it in advance that is).

If you charge forward instantly, that's probably a party wipe, nobody can take 200 end damage and be left standing and if you go in there with something like 50% Health, that's instant character wipe as well, as in, characters are gone, forever.

Putting aside the cheap encounter design, the bug here is that the log lists the spiderlings as taking 200 damage and clearly they do not. That's really what the report is about, I just needed to vent otherwise :)

• Like 1