Anyone running the beta on Windows XP?

That's an impressive feat of dedication to go playing PoE on an OS that was in use back when Infinity Engine games were still being made.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

With the recent change to the minimum requirements, I'm wondering if Windows XP isn't supported at all, or simply not officially supported. Is anyone here running the beta on XP?

Considering that Microsoft ended support for Winxp, that OS has officially run its course. With that said, you probably asking if the game will RUN on WinXP.

I don't know. However, it would probably will (it isn't a 64bit game, and use dx9), obviously the main issue would be performance, but I used to ran many new-ish game on low (e.g. Dota2, with 4Gb min req) on 10 years old laptop, with Win7 32bit, 1Gb RAM memory(+diskonkey as readyboost) with little long loading times, but no visual or otherwise lag.. Also in my experience if you upgrade to WIN7, you'd get better performance than with WinXP.

Made more impressive by the fact that XP use is still higher than Linux.

Indeed. Although to be fair those are general public numbers, IMO steam HW survey provide more accurate numbers for gamers. Edited by Tort

The question is pretty simple. It's either "yes" or "no". Instead I see a lot of remarks that aren't helpful.

From what I've seen Pillars of Eternity should be able to run on Windows XP and higher systems. However, I wouldn't expect official support for Windows XP.

The question is pretty simple. It's either "yes" or "no". Instead I see a lot of remarks that aren't helpful.

From what I've seen Pillars of Eternity should be able to run on Windows XP and higher systems. However, I wouldn't expect official support for Windows XP.

Thank you for your helpful post. At least it sounds like there's some hope for those of us with paleolithic hardware/software, and I'm grateful for that.

It would also depend on what version of XP you are running. 32 bit or 64 bit? What are your system specs? If you are running a 14 year old rig, then you probably won't be able to play on it.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Just to answer that YES or NO question - YES, the Backer Beta will run on Windows XP 32 bit.

Remembered I still had a partition with a WinXP install on my PC, so decided to give it a shot. (i5-750, Radeon HD 7770 1GB and 8 GB of RAM (but 32 bit, so can't access - so just 4, then.))

It boots up, I can get through character creation and walk around town. Zoom level seems to be bugged a little. (I could zoom in a lot further than on my Win 7 install. I know there's a console command to set it, but I haven't touched it.) ... And, that's basically the extent of my testing. I can't promise there'll be no gamebreaking bugs or whatever related to Windows XP.

If you're planning to upgrade soon anyway, I'd say it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.