Single wield

While I'm not sure about the math itself and how it balances out with other styles once you start crunching numbers, I've tried out a couple of 1hd/crit/crit multipliers builds and they seemed to hold their own with dual/2hd builds overall, no better, no worse. You'll want to focus on low DEF/low DR opponent though.

Something I tried out recently that worked very nicely is a 1hd spec ranger with pet bond to add accuracy when hitting same target. Worked really well and with rangers having decent base DEF and Health (low END sadly however), that makes a decent off tanking combo that's still able to kill something fairly fast.

1H Fighter is a solid defensive build, especially if you pick Weapon and Shield style talent. DPS sucks, but you'll have Deflection/Reflex defenses through the roof. To offset the low DPS, pick a Mace or Stiletto.

Edited by Headbomb

Even with a 20% graze-to-hits bonus, plus empty hand bonus?

The main issue I see with this style is that you more or less lose out on one item's magical bonus in the late game.

Edited by Headbomb

The main issue I see with this style is that you more or less lose out on one item's magical bonus in the late game.

You mean a 20% chance to occur on a Graze (35% chance to occur) = 7% chance to occur.

Yep.

For the record, that's being bumped to 30% in the release version, and I think Josh is looking at 1H style again.

• Like 1

I've built a Duelist/Fencer Rogue and Cipher (Rapier and Padded). It tends to become more of a Supportive Melee unit in my experience. I focus Dexterity, Perception and Intelligence.

Cipher is better than the Rogue at supporting (Eyestrike is AoE, for instance, and has Mental Binding and Psychovampiric Shield). The Rogue has better melee capabilities. This type of Fencer is not a tank, but it can take the attention from 1 or 2 enemies and tends to have high attack speed and interruption.

Edited by Osvir

You mean a 20% chance to occur on a Graze (35% chance to occur) = 7% chance to occur.

Yep.

For the record, that's being bumped to 30% in the release version, and I think Josh is looking at 1H style again.

For someone that's lazy and sucks at math, how does upping it to 30% affect the end result?

Because I have a very strong feeling that it's just not enough. That's a base 30% to increase damage by 100% (Grazes are 50% of the base damage result, so a Graze that becomes a Hit is a 100% increase of the base damage that would've occurred had it stayed as a Graze... right?) on something that only occurs at a base 35% of the time.

Anyone care to calculate the net benefit?

I still think that the base bonus for duelists need to be upped by at least +10 Accuracy and that the Talent should get some neat mechanic revolving around the idea of deflection/riposte/mobility of the theme, my standing suggestions being either a large reduction of Recovery Speed on Deflections (something a duelist will actually not be good at, so it should be large) or Hit-to-Graze rate on incoming attacks.

But a flat (and it absolutely needs to be flat) modifier to Penetration would also work, and probably be less messy (and certainly reduce necessary number-crunching; but I consider that the easy way out).

t50aJUd.jpg

From what I gather they want 1hd to be the thing that "hit", so reduction to graze range is on par with that. How much is fine tuning and easy to change, before and after release.

If you really focus on a build that takes advantage of them hits/crits and ACC boost it's really quite decent. My 1hd test ranger's closing 100ish ACC at level 7 (or 8 can't remember) when pet is on same target and together they kill stuff quite fast, way faster than my 2hd estoc paladin, and can down high DEF enemies pretty easy (which was otherwise a pain because on Path of the Damned these guys DEF is just like your own tanks so that takes a while).

That said, nothing even comes close to 2hd ranger with knockdown 2hd sword from merchant tag teaming with wolf pet. Geeesh these guys just maw down everything.