Godlike pointless?

I started game with Death Godlike Cipher Aristocrat, cause damage buff and scary background, visual side kinda meh, especially when characters so small. After some fumbling with badly autoleveled companions and bad leveling choices I decided to start new game.

Death Godlike buff is no good, damage buff versus enemy that already almost dead is not worth it, other Godlike racial buffs even worse, also no helmet, that can give me extra stat so...

To hell with stats, I started new game with Moon Godlike Cipher Actor, took off clothes and went glowing-alien-like glass cannon. Racial stats no good, no helmet, but its kinda cool to run Mystic style character, at least she noticeable on screen.

Edited by ErlKing

I started game with Death Godlike Cipher Aristocrat, cause damage buff and scary background, visual side kinda meh, especially when characters so small. After some fumbling with badly autoleveled companions and bad leveling choices I decided to start new game.

Death Godlike buff is no good, damage buff versus enemy that already almost dead is not worth it, other Godlike racial buffs even worse, also no helmet, that can give me extra stat so...

To hell with stats, I started new game with Moon Godlike Cipher Actor, took off clothes and went glowing-alien-like glass cannon. Racial stats no good, no helmet, but its kinda cool to run Mystic style character, at least she noticeable on screen.

That death godlike buff, a dmg buff when an enemy has 15% health left, may not mean much in the lower levels. But im thinking at the higher levels when 15% health could still mean a long fight might make it worth it

That death godlike buff, a dmg buff when an enemy has 15% health left, may not mean much in the lower levels. But im thinking at the higher levels when 15% health could still mean a long fight might make it worth it

I thought it was buffed to 25%? Very good for carnage barbs or any aoe dps build. 

I've been a little disappointmented with it. I've had about two people notice that I'm godlike. One was a random child, the other was a random prostitute. And that was it. It hasn't factored into RP at all. I expected some kind of.. I dunno.. reticence? Fear? Anything? It said moon godlikes were noted for bringing good luck, but no one has even TALKED about this. I haven't even met any important godlikes, and I feel like I'm really far into the storyline.

Maybe Eora is just... really progressive racially towards Godlikes? :p

Kinda wish I'd picked any other race. At least then I could wear my own enchanted helmets.

if you did the temple quest in the first town the man inside will also notice *he really doesn't seem to care though* 

I was kind of hoping for more people to bring it up especially because im a death godlike and they are suppose to be the most hated.

Hopefully there will be more dialogue brought up about it I kind of just feel like a normal person and not a godlike right now. especially after *extremely mild spoiler* a camp scene where eder says "your eyes had rolled into the back of your head". which is a little immersion breaking when your a death godlike.   

Break beneath the endless tide - monk

I know it wasn't made by Obsidian but this was an issue with Dragon Age as well, if you were a city elf, there were still very few interactions in the game after the intro, where that seemed to matter overly much, and you couldn't play a racist city elf, because they hadn't written the text for that outside of a couple interactions in Ostagar. It's disappointing when they don't take something like this, or the Godlike, as far as we would enjoy, but given the massive dose of text in this game...well, I can't fault them for it. Maybe it can be modded in.

As to the helmet thing, I have found any enchantable helmets yet, the odd magical one, but nothing I'd think is unbalancing, mind you, I am just wrapping up Defiance Bay.

• 1 month later...

Sorry guys but if you think not being able to wear an helmet is a disadvantage that needs some extra powers as compensation, then you haven't seen the helmets that are available in the game. xD None of them are super powerful, none of them give any unique stats or anything like this. For me the fact that godlikes cannot wear helmets is a purely cosmetic and lore decision. 

I had my first playthough with a godlike character and didn't feel handicapped in any way. The character was still more powerful than the followers. 

I went death godlike.

Wasnt referred to in conversation a SINGLE time.

NPCs reacted to it twice in my game. Raedric mentioned it, since he is a follower of Berath. And the leader of the assassins at Magran's fork called my death godlike brother and had some extra dialogue about it. I also has some generic reactions to being a godlike, without mentioning the type.

The good thing about the death godlike is that if you select the head #3 you don't miss on helmets, you ARE the helmet.

• Like 1

Sorry guys but if you think not being able to wear an helmet is a disadvantage that needs some extra powers as compensation, then you haven't seen the helmets that are available in the game. xD None of them are super powerful, none of them give any unique stats or anything like this. For me the fact that godlikes cannot wear helmets is a purely cosmetic and lore decision. 

I had my first playthough with a godlike character and didn't feel handicapped in any way. The character was still more powerful than the followers. 

Umm, maybe you haven't see the helmets.  I won't say that the helmets are super powerful, but I wouldn't dismiss so cavalierly the ability to wear a helmet that gives a +2 bonus in an Attribute.  There are some darned nice helmets in the game that help enhance those characters who are able to wear them.

And it does seem to me that the racial benefits of the godlikes (with the possible exception of the Moon godlike) don't really balance off with best of the enhancements that wearing a helmet can give you.  I won't say that the godlikes should get more or better powers, but perhaps giving them an extra +1 to an attribute would be a mild enhancement.

Regarding godlikes in general, I feel no desire to play one because they're just too damned fugly. (Yes, Fugly.)  And on top of that, in spite of the verbiage in the godlike descriptions saying that GL's are generally looked down on, I don't recall seeing many or ANY conversation options relating to the various GL subraces, positive or negative.  You'd think that as despised as Death GL's supposedly are that this would be reflected in their dialogs.  For that matter, you'd think that this animosity towards godlikes would be great fodder for a secondary quest.  Well, maybe in an expansion or a sequel.

Obviously playing a godlike character will have some kind of effect on the story and how NPCs react to you, but from a pure gameplay perspective they seem rather weak. They loose the ability to use helmets just for some racial ability which isn't much better than the abilities the other races get, and they only get +1 to dex and res. It would make some kind of sense if they get that + whatever stat bonuses their parent race gets, but instead it replaces them. This means a godlike dwarf would actually be weaker than a regular one, and that makes them feel very un-godlike to me.

I'm not the only one who feels they're gimped, right?

The helmets in PoE are not that amazing and the godlikes have some pretty nice abilities. Moon godlike monks are very good and I enjoy my death goodlike rogue.

Never wore helmets on my main character because I don't like how they look, I don't play godlike either for the same reason.  My point is that I've completed the game twice on hard and once on PotD and never noticed the lack of a helmet to be a big drawback.  The Moon Godlike racial at least is more than worth the lack of a helmet, not sure about the others.

I think the racial abilities are all rather strong, greatly making up for the lack of helmets.

Nature Godlike: perfect for Barbarian, especially a Barbarian that expects to drop below 50% endurance and even more on Barbarian builds who's goal it is for the Barbarian to be knocked down.

Fire Godlike: perfect for Tank.

Moon Godlike: Any frontline fighter

Death Godlike: everything else.

I think the racial abilities are all rather strong, greatly making up for the lack of helmets.

Death Godlikes also have the ability of having one of the most awesome looking head models :3

Death Godlikes also have the ability of having one of the most awesome looking head models :3

Yeah, but that's a rather moot achievement in a game where all head models suck :p ESPECIALLY those of all other Godlikes, and female Aumaua (anyone check those out? My goodness)

• Like 1

Yeah, but that's a rather moot achievement in a game where all head models suck tongue.png ESPECIALLY those of all other Godlikes, and female Aumaua (anyone check those out? My goodness)

t50aJUd.jpg

Nature Godlike: perfect for Barbarian, especially a Barbarian that expects to drop below 50% endurance and even more on Barbarian builds who's goal it is for the Barbarian to be knocked down.

Fire Godlike: perfect for Tank.

Moon Godlike: Any frontline fighter

I guess that I have to disagree, because I flat-out do not like abilities that are based on the character falling below a certain percentage of their endurance, with the possible exception of the Moon GL's healing ability. I vastly prefer decent abilities that are always active.

• 10 months later...

http://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/edit/?go=go&id=79

My God-like mod, It buffs the other God-likes up to the level of moon God-like.

Your link doesn't work for me. It tells me I need to be logged in, in order to edit the nexus page.

<edit> great mod idea though. Thanks a lot for your work :).

Edited by gogocactus

Moon Godlikes, at least up to WM1, were overpowered - they were hands down the best race, never mind the drawbacks. The other godlikes were comparatively underwhelming, but not terrible compared to non-godlikes. 

Gameplay-wise they are strong, it is the world reactivity that they dropped the ball on and hopefully they work on that in POE2.

Moon Godlikes, at least up to WM1, were overpowered - they were hands down the best race, never mind the drawbacks. The other godlikes were comparatively underwhelming, but not terrible compared to non-godlikes.

Gameplay-wise they are strong, it is the world reactivity that they dropped the ball on and hopefully they work on that in POE2.

Naw, death and and nature suck pretty bad. Fire is indispensable on retaliation builds, but otherwise pointless. That's pretty much where it stands.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

http://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/edit/?go=go&id=79

My God-like mod, It buffs the other God-likes up to the level of moon God-like.

Your link doesn't work for me. It tells me I need to be logged in, in order to edit the nexus page.

<edit> great mod idea though. Thanks a lot for your work :).

That should do it.

Changed link

Edited by alexis13