Planning out a build

I know there is already a discuss your first character type of thread, however since this is my first Infinity engine game i want to know what goes into planning/building a character. From what i have read and gathered its all about Name, Race, Class, Attributes, and anything specific for the class of your choosing.

However when min/maxing come into play what else is there i can do to plan a character? 

Do certain races gain anything from being a specific class? How many attributes can one focus on?(from what i saw it is 3)

What are some other ways that we are able to min/max a character in this game?

At first i was aiming for a paladin(i was hoping for something like a auradin/zealot from D2), or maybe a paladin that has great party buffs yet still does good damage. then i was reading somethings about them not being as good of a melee class. But i just started looking into Barbs(can barbs effectively use 2h weapons?) and Rogues. If im trying to min/max what would be a good choice of race attribute points ect for each class.  

Also through out the game how many talent points do we get to choose from?

Another thing, how many skills can i choose from to focus on?

Edited by Danoga
  • Like 1

Differnet classes/builds excel at different aspects of combat. Its not only about doing damage. Some classes are better suited for AoE damage, some for disabling or simply withstanding a heavy beating so that others can do damage from a safe spot.

And thats just combat; then you have the social and scripted interaction skillchecks used to unlock new quest paths, rewards or circumvent fatal encounters altogether.

Min-maxers seem to focus mostly on the pure damage dealing part, which to me makes little sense. 

Edited by Striped_Wolf
  • Like 1

If your only real goal in a game is to do as much damage as possible as fast as possible it makes perfect sense.

If you plan to explore the world, interact with NPCs, bypass some battles, and generally play the game as something besides a Hack 'n Slash Action game then it doesn't

I would say that you should probably not focus at more than two skills, and maybe, just maybe, consider hedging into one other (probably Athletics or Stealth, or Survival if either of those is a primary to you).

With a +4 bonus from Class and Backround (which there is no guarantee that you'll get, depending on what you play, but let's say Wizard (+2 Lore, +1 Mechanics) and Aristocrat (+2 Lore) the maximum skill level at level 12 is 15, if memory serves, and that requires you to pool all your 66 skill points (again, I'm just pulling this out of memory from an old post I made, hopefully I'm not wrong) into a single skill.

Do note that each skill level costs a number of points equal to the level (so 2 points for Skill Level 2, etc), but Skill Levels gained from Class and Background does not count towards this, meaning that if you have +4 to Lore, if you place a single point of Lore yourself, that has saved you 14 Skill Points(!).

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Yea i understand the damage part of min/maxing. However i'm talking about tank min/maxing healer minmaxing, and yes dps min/maxing.Just trying to find the best potential combination for what ever role you are trying to play. But maybe that's just me.

I would say that you should probably not focus at more than two skills, and maybe, just maybe, consider hedging into one other (probably Athletics or Stealth, or Survival if either of those is a primary to you).

With a +4 bonus from Class and Backround (which there is no guarantee that you'll get, depending on what you play, but let's say Wizard (+2 Lore, +1 Mechanics) and Aristocrat (+2 Lore) the maximum skill level at level 12 is 15, if memory serves, and that requires you to pool all your 66 skill points (again, I'm just pulling this out of memory from an old post I made, hopefully I'm not wrong) into a single skill.

Do note that each skill level costs a number of points equal to the level (so 2 points for Skill Level 2, etc), but Skill Levels gained from Class and Background does not count towards this, meaning that if you have +4 to Lore, if you place a single point of Lore yourself, that has saved you 14 Skill Points(!).

good to know sir, btw does lore still tells us about monsters hp etc etc? cause i wish to use that on my monk and add athletics and survival to this combo

Twitch.tv/MorbusOfKookyB  - Will stream PotD,ToI,Expert.