In preparation for the imminent release I thought that it'd be nice to have a topic in which we could gather interesting builds and/or ask for advice regarding character creation. Since the topic's placed in the Gameplay section, the aim is to primarily concentrate on the mechanical side of the process; though some lore background certainly wouldn't go amiss if anyone's inclined to provide one!

I admit I've been out of the loop for quite a while, not having played the beta extensively - so I'll start off with some questions of my own - any help from the beta veterans would be greatly appreciated!

Bleak Walker Pistoleer

Human, Paladin

Armed with a greatsword and a pistol. The basic idea is to have a frontline character who can support the group but also deal respectable damage.

Talents:

• Weapon Focus Ruffian - the bread and butter of the build, increasing accuracy with pistols.
  • Close Shooter - should serve the build well, I intend to wade into melee quite often.
  • Penetrating Shot - decreased attack speed shouldn't hurt at all, since the plan's to unload both pistols at the start of the combat and then continue fighting with a greatsword.
  • Arms Bearer - to increase the synergy from all the aforementioned talents.

As for the remaining two talents, I'm having some doubts. Which would you pick?

• The Black Path - fits the character concept well, not sure how useful it is in actual combat, however.
  • Two-Handed Style - to increase melee power.
  • Quick Switch - seems to go well with arms bearer; not sure how big of a benefit it would be to this particular build.
  • Weapon Focus Soldier - might be mandatory due to the lack of melee enhancing talents.

Disclaimer:

I've have had very limited experience with the beta, so this build is probably terrible. Admittedly, I'm not to worried about its power level (in singleplayer games I tend to forgo min-maxing) - all the same, would really appreciate pointers, tips and comments!

So, without further ado, let's see your build ideas!

Sorry if such topic already exists - I've searched but couldn't find one.

Edited by Karranthain

In preparation for the imminent release I thought that it'd be nice to have a topic in which we could gather interesting builds and/or ask for advice regarding character creation. Since the topic's placed in the Gameplay section, the aim is to primarily concentrate on the mechanical side of the process; though some lore background certainly wouldn't go amiss if anyone's inclined to provide one!

I admit I've been out of the loop for quite a while, not having played the beta extensively - so I'll start off with some questions of my own - any help from the beta veterans would be greatly appreciated!

Bleak Walker Pistoleer

Human, Paladin

Armed with a greatsword and a pistol. The basic idea is to have a frontline character who can support the group but also deal respectable damage.

Talents:

• Weapon Focus Ruffian - the bread and butter of the build, increasing accuracy with pistols.
  • Close Shooter - should serve the build well, I intend to wade into melee quite often.
  • Penetrating Shot - decreased attack speed shouldn't hurt at all, since the plan's to unload both pistols at the start of the combat and then continue fighting with a greatsword.

• The Black Path - fits the character concept well, not sure how useful it is in actual combat, however.
  • Quick Switch - seems to go well with arms bearer; not sure how big of a benefit it would be to this particular build.
  • Weapon Focus Soldier - might be mandatory due to the lack of melee enhancing talents.

Disclaimer:

I've have had very limited experience with the beta, so this build is probably terrible. Admittedly, I'm not to worried about its power level (in singleplayer games I tend to forgo min-maxing) - all the same, would really appreciate pointers, tips and comments!

Im still planning out my paladin planning for a Bleak walkers, But i would mostly like to stick to 2h weapons./ Flames of devotion however the Enduring flames talent of the Gold pack knights sounds better than the black path. 

But with your build is there any specific reason you wanna use guns as a paladin?

Edited by Danoga

Bleak Walker Pistoleer

Human, Paladin

Talents:

Disclaimer:

Just a note: Pistols are 2 handed, so unless you were switching between them to get the shots off, I wouldn't bother with pistols. Go with the greatsword and the arbequs, they are both in the same weapon class, and the arbequs has the highest single target damage, which would allow you to get the maximum benefit from Flames of Devotion.

This would be an effective build for a paladin. I've considered it myself, but I prefer a more active character for my main character. As it stands, paladins have one active ability and then an option for up to 3 more reactive abilities.

But with your build is there any specific reason you wanna use guns as a paladin?

I just find the concept interesting - mainly because it's somewhat atypical for a paladin. I envision Bleak Walkers as very un-romantic, if you will, pragmatic to the core. Firearms seem to fit that image quite well.

Just a note: Pistols are 2 handed, so unless you were switching between them to get the shots off, I wouldn't bother with pistols. Go with the greatsword and the arbequs, they are both in the same weapon class, and the arbequs has the highest single target damage, which would allow you to get the maximum benefit from Flames of Devotion.

This would be an effective build for a paladin. I've considered it myself, but I prefer a more active character for my main character. As it stands, paladins have one active ability and then an option for up to 3 more reactive abilities.

Aye, the plan's to switch often - hence why I'm considering picking Arms Bearer in conjunction with Quick Switch.

I know that an arquebus would be far more efficient, but I definitely want to go with pistols (just a personal choice even if not entirely rational in this case). Do you absolutely need to have Weapon Focus in order to deal good damage in melee? if not, I'd go with something like this:

What's your build idea, by the way?

Quite frankly, it depends on your play style. If you're going to fire off one shot and then engage in melee, then you probably wouldn't even gain enough to devote talents to improving your ranged ability. If you want to be primarily ranged with melee for backup, even then that's questionable with there being no penalties for using ranged weapons in melee. If you're going to spend any talents improving ranged, it really should be to lock you into that role. Talents are rare and some are very potent. To get the most impact from your choices, you'll want to focus on abilities that are always valuable, not just situationally.

If you're going to mix weapon classes (pistol/greatsword), just focus on improving what you'll be doing primarily. I wouldn't take Ruffian over Soldier if you're planning for heavy use for the greatsword, though.

My flexible characters tend to focus more on developing the melee side of things, using ranged only when tactically viable. As a result, I don't spend any talents improving what is meant to be a back up weapon.

I'm going to try for a soldier monk. Probably breastplate, a nice awesome looking hat, greatsword and an arquebus. I might decide to go for an estoc instead of greatsword, which would deprive me of the accuracy bonus for arquebus, but that's ok. Human or Aumaua, though I really want to play an Aumaua fighter too, so I'm thinking human for first character. 

Will almost certainly grab Weapon Focus: Soldier (or Adventurer if estoc), Bloody Slaughter, Savage Attack. Maybe these aren't as good as they look, in which case I'd like to know, but they look good on paper. Definitely grabing Turning Wheel and Force of Anguish. Unsure about other abilities. 

• Like 1

I haven't actually played the beta, but I've been watching a lot of vids and scouring the wikia and I came up with what I'd like to play.

Hearth Orlan Dual Wielding Rogue

Armed with two Stilettos for fast attacks that bypass DR, along with a Pistol for opening combat with major Dmg. 

Attributes:

Might: 17

Con: 9(4?)

Dex: 18

Per: 16(18?)

Int: 3

Res: 15(18?)

Talents:

Vulnerable Attack: +5 DR bypass on top of the +3 from the Stilettos makes for decent DR bypass. Also results in -20% Melee Attack Speed which should be negligible.

Two Weapon Style: +20% Melee Attack Speed, which will negate the reduction caused by Vulnerable Attack.

Vicious Fighting: +10% of Hits converted to Crits.

Deflecting Assault: Reduces the loss of Deflection from using Reckless Assault.

Bloody Slaughter: +20% of Hits Converted to Crits for enemies with low Endurance, as well as increase crit multiplier by +0.5.

Weapon Focus Ruffian: +6 Accuracy for Stilettos and Pistol(May want to drop that and use something else like Superior Deflection or Bull's Will for better defense since Acc bonus is quite minimal. As well Interrupting Blows could also be useful, though Stilettos have a weak interrupt, but every second counts and I jacked up Perception pretty high which comes with +18 Interrupt.)

Abilities:

Crippling Strike or Blinding Strike: 1.25 dmg multiplier and applies status effect enable on enemy for Sneak attack dmg bonus.(CS can be use 2x per encounter while BS can only be used 1x, but BS is more useful as it decreases enemy Accuracy for a time as opposed to Hobbling like CS which doesn't really help out a melee character)

Reckless Assault: x1.2 DMG multiplier, +8 Acc with a cost of -8 Deflection. 

Dirty Fighting+10% of Hits converted to Crits.

Deep WoundsAdds Raw Dmg over time to strikes.

Adept Evasion: +50% chance of converting incoming Grazes to Misses.(Coordinated Positioning is also a good option)

DeathblowsMelee/Range Dmg x2 when enemy has 2 or more conditions that allow for Sneak Attack.

Class Talent:

Sneak Attackx1.5 Dmg on from Stealth and on enemies that are Blinded, Flanked, Hobbled, Paralyzed, Petrified, Prone, Stuck, Stunned or Weakened. As well as any target struck within 2 seconds of combat starting.

Racial Talent:

Minor Threat: +10% chance of Hits converting to Crits when attacking same target as Ally.

So all in all this character will have a +30% chance of converting Hits to Crits, a relatively high attack speed, decent DR bypass, a wealth of DMG multipliers that, not even counting weapon enchantments, can get as high as x3.66 when all possible multipliers are active.

Intellect isn't all too important, I think, since there's only one active ability with any kind of duration effect and that is mostly there for the Dmg bonus, obtaining Sneak Attack bonus will mostly be achieved through status effects brought on by your party members with things like Flanking being key, especially because of the Minor Threat talent and it's +10% Hits to Crits when attacking an ally's target. Con might be an issue, or might be something to decrease even more to buff up Res and Per more. I'm not familiar enough to say though. 

For me this feels, on paper at least, to be a solid build combat wise and something I'd enjoy playing, as well as an providing compelling options RP wise. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. Would love to hear people's more experienced opinions on it, especially the Attribute spread. I'm curious if I could bring Con down to 4 so that I could boost Res and Per to 18 each, or that would make me too much of a glass canon. 

Edited by Enduin
  • Like 2

Wands were made two-handed in the most recent BB build, I noticed. I wonder if they just made all the things that they didn't want you to dual-wield into two-handed weapons. *Shrug*

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Wands were made two-handed in the most recent BB build, I noticed. I wonder if they just made all the things that they didn't want you to dual-wield into two-handed weapons. *Shrug*

That seems incredibly stupid. Holding a wand with two hands, I mean.

Edited by Xienzi

Mixing weapon classes does put a pretty big dent into your effectiveness, moreso with a paladin which doesn't have top base accurarcy to start with. If you want a pistol, pick a melee weapon in the same class.

Check out Sensuki's build videos. He made a wack blunderbuss build which maxes out the weapon slots, thereby getting around the very long reload problem. With the other bonus stacking he basically murders any four enemies at the opening, then stands around twiddling his thumbs for the rest of the encounter. I think three blunderbusses and a melee weapon would be a reasonable compromise.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Quite frankly, it depends on your play style. If you're going to fire off one shot and then engage in melee, then you probably wouldn't even gain enough to devote talents to improving your ranged ability. If you want to be primarily ranged with melee for backup, even then that's questionable with there being no penalties for using ranged weapons in melee. If you're going to spend any talents improving ranged, it really should be to lock you into that role. Talents are rare and some are very potent. To get the most impact from your choices, you'll want to focus on abilities that are always valuable, not just situationally.

If you're going to mix weapon classes (pistol/greatsword), just focus on improving what you'll be doing primarily. I wouldn't take Ruffian over Soldier if you're planning for heavy use for the greatsword, though.

My flexible characters tend to focus more on developing the melee side of things, using ranged only when tactically viable. As a result, I don't spend any talents improving what is meant to be a back up weapon.

Mixing weapon classes does put a pretty big dent into your effectiveness, moreso with a paladin which doesn't have top base accurarcy to start with. If you want a pistol, pick a melee weapon in the same class.

Check out Sensuki's build videos. He made a wack blunderbuss build which maxes out the weapon slots, thereby getting around the very long reload problem. With the other bonus stacking he basically murders any four enemies at the opening, then stands around twiddling his thumbs for the rest of the encounter. I think three blunderbusses and a melee weapon would be a reasonable compromise.

Thanks for the tips, much apppreciated. As a compromise I'd go with:

And for the pistols:

An arquebus would obviously work a lot better, but I really like the Greatsword/Pistol combo. But if neglecting the appropriate Weapon Focus will put a big dent on the character's effectiveness I guess I'll have to reconsider using the arquebus.

The basic plan is to open combat with two pistol shots and then switch to melee. Hence the Quick Switch and Arms Bearer. Not sure whether the former is realled needed, though.

Edited by Karranthain

What? But? That ... I don't ... I can't ...

Why would they do that? What's wrong with them? Dual wands are awesome.

• Like 2

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Fairly certain they did this because of reloads. Really, really, really hard to reload wheel-lock pistols when you have one in each hand. They could've included some sort of dual pistol one-shot option though. Maybe in an expansion. 

I suppose they could have put in a mechanic that makes it take even longer to reload if your other hand is occupied?

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I asked and was told that there were some oddities with the animations and a couple of other system that were built to only support them in the main hand when dual wielding them, and possibly they'd look at fixing it for the expansion.

Edited by aeonsim

I asked and was told that there were some oddities with the animations and a couple of other system that were built to only support them in the main hand when dual wielding them, and possibly they'd look at fixing it for the expansion.

It's starting to seem like Obsidian just didn't realize that people would want to get creative with ranged weapons.

/le sigh

• Like 1

Hello,Mike here, sorry for popping up like that but i got few questions bout my ideas and this topic is quite interesting on such matters thus ill ask them here, forgive if iam mistaken :).

1) someone said here that wasting skills on ranged weapon that you would use just for opening is a bit of a waste.I saw this movie with 4 shotguns switching for fast reload, and basicly he could kill a guy with 1 shot.So my question is: later in the game  you would need to invest some skill points into ranged fighting to do this 1 shot kill right? and rest into meele.Wouldnt that be effective if you could destroy one guy almost instantly?

Asking that cause i would like to create a monk that opens with a riffle and then jumps into his usuall kungfu things.

Is this possible and does monks even have  skills to boost ranged fighting?

Asking that cause iam going monk + rogue setup + 4 npc on HARD POTD IRON.

2)into the rouges.If monk with shotgun isnt good somehow, will my rogue dwarf with shotguns be any good?i want him to be the man in front scouting every fight and traps.I assume i need a lot of stealth and mechanics.

What about other stats? Might boosts dmg, and dex boosts attack speed right?so does rogue have any dots spells or something , that would proc a lot with high attack speed?

Is interuption viable cause i saw some topics saying it sucks.With hight attack speed would it be possible to like perma interupt a mage?

And is weapon reload boosted with dex aswell?

And another question on that topic, rogues have some kind of cc's in theyr skills which will proc sneack attacks.Does inteligence increase the time of those cc's? for example i stun a guy and he will be stuned longer based on my int , thus making me hit more sneack attacks?

Sorry for this wall of text but iam really affraid of this Hardcore mode iam going to play, tho iam excited in the same time :)

Will be streaming this btw twitch.tv/morbusofkookyb    tho everyone will be bussy killing bugs most likely, but maybe someone will check if iam still alive ;d

• Like 1

Twitch.tv/MorbusOfKookyB  - Will stream PotD,ToI,Expert.

Monks don't really have anything in particular for use at range, but just about everyone gets decent mileage out of gun shenanigans. Rogue and Cipher are especially well-suited for them, but again, guns are great for opening regardless of class.

You probably want Might, and possibly Dexterity and Intelligence. Dexterity does boost weapon reload, so any dedicated shooter will want it. Intelligence boosts the duration of all effects, from Blind to Stun to Knockdown to Whatever, so unless you're not using anything of the sort, you'll want that.

Monks don't really have anything in particular for use at range, but just about everyone gets decent mileage out of gun shenanigans. Rogue and Cipher are especially well-suited for them, but again, guns are great for opening regardless of class.

You probably want Might, and possibly Dexterity and Intelligence. Dexterity does boost weapon reload, so any dedicated shooter will want it. Intelligence boosts the duration of all effects, from Blind to Stun to Knockdown to Whatever, so unless you're not using anything of the sort, you'll want that.

I always found it hilarious that Intellect would increase the duration of Knockdown. There's a Swedish saying, "Kunskap väger tungt", which basically means (although does not translate straight over to) knowledge has weight.

Weight indeed. Weight enough to keep someone you just punted over with a shield on the ground. :lol:

The full saying is actually "Kunskap väger tungt, men är lätt att bära", literally Knowledge weighs heavily, but is light to carry. But that's beside the point.

t50aJUd.jpg

I haven't actually played the beta, but I've been watching a lot of vids and scouring the wikia and I came up with what I'd like to play.

Hearth Orlan Dual Wielding Rogue

Armed with two Stilettos for fast attacks that bypass DR, along with a Pistol for opening combat with major Dmg. 

Attributes:

Might: 17

Con: 9(4?)

Dex: 18

Per: 16(18?)

Int: 3

Res: 15(18?)

Talents:

Vulnerable Attack: +5 DR bypass on top of the +3 from the Stilettos makes for decent DR bypass. Also results in -20% Melee Attack Speed which should be negligible.

Two Weapon Style: +20% Melee Attack Speed, which will negate the reduction caused by Vulnerable Attack.

Vicious Fighting: +10% of Hits converted to Crits.

Deflecting Assault: Reduces the loss of Deflection from using Reckless Assault.

Bloody Slaughter: +20% of Hits Converted to Crits for enemies with low Endurance, as well as increase crit multiplier by +0.5.

Weapon Focus Ruffian: +6 Accuracy for Stilettos and Pistol(May want to drop that and use something else like Superior Deflection or Bull's Will for better defense since Acc bonus is quite minimal. As well Interrupting Blows could also be useful, though Stilettos have a weak interrupt, but every second counts and I jacked up Perception pretty high which comes with +18 Interrupt.)

Abilities:

Crippling Strike or Blinding Strike: 1.25 dmg multiplier and applies status effect enable on enemy for Sneak attack dmg bonus.(CS can be use 2x per encounter while BS can only be used 1x, but BS is more useful as it decreases enemy Accuracy for a time as opposed to Hobbling like CS which doesn't really help out a melee character)

Reckless Assault: x1.2 DMG multiplier, +8 Acc with a cost of -8 Deflection. 

Dirty Fighting+10% of Hits converted to Crits.

Deep WoundsAdds Raw Dmg over time to strikes.

Adept Evasion: +50% chance of converting incoming Grazes to Misses.(Coordinated Positioning is also a good option)

DeathblowsMelee/Range Dmg x2 when enemy has 2 or more conditions that allow for Sneak Attack.

Class Talent:

Sneak Attackx1.5 Dmg on from Stealth and on enemies that are Blinded, Flanked, Hobbled, Paralyzed, Petrified, Prone, Stuck, Stunned or Weakened. As well as any target struck within 2 seconds of combat starting.

Racial Talent:

Minor Threat: +10% chance of Hits converting to Crits when attacking same target as Ally.

So all in all this character will have a +30% chance of converting Hits to Crits, a relatively high attack speed, decent DR bypass, a wealth of DMG multipliers that, not even counting weapon enchantments, can get as high as x3.66 when all possible multipliers are active.

Intellect isn't all too important, I think, since there's only one active ability with any kind of duration effect and that is mostly there for the Dmg bonus, obtaining Sneak Attack bonus will mostly be achieved through status effects brought on by your party members with things like Flanking being key, especially because of the Minor Threat talent and it's +10% Hits to Crits when attacking an ally's target. Con might be an issue, or might be something to decrease even more to buff up Res and Per more. I'm not familiar enough to say though. 

For me this feels, on paper at least, to be a solid build combat wise and something I'd enjoy playing, as well as an providing compelling options RP wise. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. Would love to hear people's more experienced opinions on it, especially the Attribute spread. I'm curious if I could bring Con down to 4 so that I could boost Res and Per to 18 each, or that would make me too much of a glass canon. 

I'm not an expert, mind you, but it looks solid to me.

I'd probably drop Deflecting Assault since you'll want to avoid getting hit altogether anyway. I'd replace it with Vicious Fighting, which further increases crit chance. And I'd keep Weapon Focus Ruffian.

He already has Vicious Fighting.

That said, yeah, Deflecting Assault is probably wasted. With the rules as they are, Deflection is sort of useless unless you're stacking it sky-high.