There is his answer on codex.

Seems like the guy in the OP was playing with the crappiest PC ever, on a 32-bit system,. and running on a Mac via Windows emulation too.

It's like a Ferrari test drive in the middle of a swamp

This is the guy's system specs: 

"2011 Macbook Pro booted into windows via Boot Camp - so for all intents and purposes it is a Windows machine. 4GB RAM - 1GB nvidia gfx card. 32 bit Intel CPU."

YIKES, that's a terrible system. No wonder he got crashes.

Edited by TrueMenace

Calibrating...

Seems like the guy in the OP was playing with the crappiest PC ever, on a 32-bit system,. and running on a Mac via Windows emulation too.

This is the guy's system specs: 

"2011 Macbook Pro booted into windows via Boot Camp - so for all intents and purposes it is a Windows machine. 4GB RAM - 1GB nvidia gfx card. 32 bit Intel CPU."

YIKES, that's a terrible system. No wonder he got crashes.

Hang on... this is what an IGN editor was using to review the game?

Not sure I buy that.

Edit: Also... missed the obvious. A MBP from 2011 would not have a 32-bit CPU.

Edited by Flow

And these are the professional reviewers? Good Lord!

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

man ram is dirt cheap, and the extra 4 gigs of ram on the mac's are actually a pretty noticeable speed increase. That would've been my top priority. Although I can't fault the dude. They primarily write articles and play console games. Probably make their video reviews with imovie haha. Since I'm on an older macbook pro, I probably will have to just use my pc which is fine, but I was hoping to avoid the main room with 50 people in there watching TV and walking by every 3 minutes. That's one of the only crappy thing's about PC's, unless you have a dedicated game room, or your own space that's not shared it's a chore to be able to sit down and play a game like this and enjoy it. Granted, it sounds like it will run on a normal laptop too. I'm just in a unique environment. 

lmao best comparison ever. That makes me feel a lot better. But I knew something must have been up. No way that would have been passable if it was an ongoing issue.

As for the after auto save; perhaps it was intended? I could kinda see some pros of that. More than likely something that will be fixed though.

That's one of the only crappy thing's about PC's, unless you have a dedicated game room, or your own space that's not shared it's a chore to be able to sit down and play a game like this and enjoy it.

o_O

what is this I don't even

• Like 1

Looks like it meets the minimum requirements on STEAM (as much as I can figure that stuff out).

Seems to me (if true) its just as legit to review a game using the minimum specs (albeit, I suppose if possible it'd be best to review the game on recommended specs and then have a sidebar about minimum spec performance).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Update: The guy IS NOT A REVIEWER.

Here is what he said afterwards:

"Yes - I've been poking around this today (with help), and the crashing I experienced is indeed because I have a 32 bit OS/CPU, which Pillars doesn't officially support.

Kind of impressive it runs stably at all, considering most 64 bit-only games won't even boot.

Edit: To clarify - I'm not reviewing the game. I'm a features guy, and I'm playing on my own time to evaluate other coverage opportunities. I can't speak for what anyone else is doing, but there's all kinds of reasons press might need early access to do their job besides reviewing a product. Prepping guide content, capturing video... any number of special projects."

• Like 3

Calibrating...

Looks like it meets the minimum requirements on STEAM (as much as I can figure that stuff out).

Seems to me (if true) its just as legit to review a game using the minimum specs (albeit, I suppose if possible it'd be best to review the game on recommended specs and then have a sidebar about minimum spec performance).

agreed.  in point o' fact, we see much merit in the profeshnul reviewers doing at least some minimum testing on an approximate minimum spec machine to see how games perform on such rigs.

'course, we don't actual bother to read game reviews, so perhaps we is not the ideal commentator.  that being said, likely the only aspects o' reviews that would interest us is whether game X can run on Y rig and other pure technical and objective observations.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Herp derp.

Given the specs he quoted, he seems to know less about hardware than game reviewing.

He is not a game reviewer, Check my previous post which is the last one on the 2nd page. 

Edited by TrueMenace

Calibrating...

Herp derp.

Given the specs he quoted, he seems to know less about hardware than game reviewing.

He is not a game reviewer, Check my previous post which is the last one on the 1st page. 

I read it. I was agreeing.

Moral of the story, don't spread FUD from random neogaf posts.

While he may not be a reviewer...he is playing with a review code and is, in theory, a professional in the industry.  However, it is very UNprofessional to make a post about the game crashing frequently, on a public forum, without acknowledging right up front that you are playing on an unsupported OS and on hardware that just squeaks by the minimum sys reqs.

• Like 5

Hey - I'm Justin, and I made the original NeoGAF post.

Sorry for any concern my comment caused anyone - obviously if you're within the system specs, you're probably pretty unlikely to experience any major stability issues.

I'm playing Pillars on my own time, on my own personal computer (which I hope to replace this year) to evaluate some coverage opportunities. And for fun :). I'm not reviewing the game.

I glanced at the system specs and saw my GPU more than exceeded what I needed (1GB vRAM), I had enough RAM, my CPU was more than fast enough, and so-on. So I installed, and started playing - it's as simple as that.

Truth is 32-bit OS not being officially supported didn't even cross my mind. Although my machine is totally getting old, I played through stuff like Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite, Deus Ex: HR and SimCity 2013 without any problem. I'm running into more and more games that don't support 32 bit systems though (EQ Next, Cities Skylines), so I probably shouldn't be surprised or caught off guard any more.

Anyway, my bad. Wasn't my intention to alarm anyone. Was just sharing my experience. I deserve to get thumped for raising some alarm bells when it turns out I'm outside of the official system specs. Pretty derp moment on my part - just wanted to explain how it happened.

Enjoy Pillars next week!

• Like 9

People shouldn't spread panic, this thread is ridiculous.

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

That's one of the only crappy thing's about PC's, unless you have a dedicated game room, or your own space that's not shared it's a chore to be able to sit down and play a game like this and enjoy it.

o_O

what is this I don't even

Meaning it's not like you can just play for hrs interrupted on a pc. Unless your 14 living in your room with only enough space to walk to the door. Most folks old enough to remember these games have kid's and a life now. The computer is a shared household commodity. It's not like your cell phone you can take anywhere with you. Because it's a 60 hr+ game, finding time to sit down to play it without interruptions will be a chore.

Can i have a review build too? 

I've a Sega Genesis and a 386 sx 24 Mhz, i'm pretty sure i will be fine, i just have to run memmaker.exe

please

Thats a 16 Bit system, the game only work on 32 bits or 64 Bit systems.

Yes i know, my english sux.

Can i have a review build too? 

I've a Sega Genesis and a 386 sx 24 Mhz, i'm pretty sure i will be fine, i just have to run memmaker.exe

please

Thats a 16 Bit system, the game only work on 32 bits or 64 Bit systems.

So it'll totally work if he hooks up 3-4 Sega Genesises (Genesi?) together, right? 

:p

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man