How well does it run on 4 GB RAM anyway? It is stated as a minimum requirement, but is it a "barely works even if PC and VGA are good" minimum, or a "it will be fine as long as your PC and VGA can handle it" minimum? (I'm talking about the Windows version. 64 bit.)

I've been running the beta on Windows 64 bit with just 4 GB RAM. It runs just fine.

EDIT: And that's with a 2.60 Ghz i5-3230M and a GT 740M so I'm not exactly running it on a top of the line computer...

Edited by MasterPrudent
  • Like 2

Can I clarify that was during the very first backer beta, and I haven't tried any of the later iterations on 32-bit, so it may well run fine now.

My biggest worries are actually about the loading time. They were already horrible in the PAX presentations. And I doubt that they used an old PC with HDD there.

But I only got a Phenom II X3, GFX 260 and an old HDD. Loading times could be a world of pain...

You know, now might be a good time for Obsidian to give the backer beta to all backers. Massively increase the pool of different system configurations being tested.

Wasteland 2 did the same thing.

Exactly.

Yes i know, my english sux.

I really can't imagine any possible reality, where Obsidian knowingly shipped a review release that crashes in 30% of all area transitions as a general thing. Nor can I imagine that they shipped it without knowing if that's a normal issue. 

Knowingly? Sure, they wouldn't. But it could easily be common enough to be a big issue (say 1 in 20 "wild" computers) and not spotted, given the fairly tiny testing pool. Bigger companies than Obsidian have shipped games that crashed on a higher percentage of systems than that.

The real issue will be how fast they can fix it, if it's common (and 1 in 20 is definitely "common" for a crash bug).

Even if it's pretty rare machine-wise, if it's that reliable in causing crashes, it should be fairly easy to spot, at least.

I've grabbed all backer versions and played through at least a couple maps in each on highest settings and can't remember a single crash. I do weird stuff too, stuff more likely to cause crashes, like alt-enter to switch from window to full screen and drag the game to different monitors, etc. I doubt this is a widespread problem, and it's highly likely there will be crashes with some system configurations until they can iron them all out with a patch or two.

I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, i7 2700K overclocked to 4.2GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel SSD, Radeon 7970.

Edited by sp3cw4r

How well does it run on 4 GB RAM anyway? It is stated as a minimum requirement, but is it a "barely works even if PC and VGA are good" minimum, or a "it will be fine as long as your PC and VGA can handle it" minimum? (I'm talking about the Windows version. 64 bit.)

I've been running the beta on Windows 64 bit with just 4 GB RAM. It runs just fine.

EDIT: And that's with a 2.60 Ghz i5-3230M and a GT 740M so I'm not exactly running it on a top of the line computer...

Hello, I've also been running the backer beta with 4GB ram,Q9400 2.66Ghz Quad CPU, GTX 750ti; Windows 64bit. Haven't noticed any slowdowns while playing the game. Cheers.

• Like 1

I can only point towards the US Release of Fallout New Vegas. :p

@Sensuki: Thanks! If you have too much time at your hand - could you check how long it actually takes to load one of these regions?

I think the worst Loading Times I experienced in recent games was in MMX where I had to wait like 15-30 secs within a dungeon and 45-60 secs for the open world (+15 secs to just open the save/load window which was kinda broken).

I've personally been remarkably lucky with Obsidian games, not having suffered many egregious issues at all: There were the missing terrorists in the airbase in Saudi in Alpha Protocol, but I knew how to avoid that by not exiting the upper level of one of the bunkers. There was the first Silver Shard unreactivity in NWN2 that was added by the Mask of the Betrayer expansion, though that was extremely irritating. After those every other game has been as stable as a rock, even New Vegas, which had only a few Radscorpions blowing majestically across the Ivanpah strangely enough.

However in a big, complex and reactive RPG I expect bugs, the most perfect code never survives unscathed upon first meeting the customers varied specifications and playstyles, the important thing is the patching and here I expect Obsidian to really step up to support their product.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Got this from NeoGAF, won't quote who the poster is.

I have one of the press accounts. Not really sure how much I'm allowed to say at this point.

The game is really good so far. Feels like Baldur's Gate 3. Lore seems crazy deep.

It is crashing to desktop on probably ~30% of all scene transitions (map loads) for me, though. Save often!

We were seeing crashes on some 32-bit machines, but I think that may be eliminated with recent optimizations.

• Like 5

I'm surprised a reviewer would have a 32-bit system. They'd probably want a 64-bit one for latest games right?

The guy is also the IGN Editor (says on his GAF profile), so maybe it's a Mac or some other problem.

Edited by Sensuki

I'm surprised a reviewer would have a 32-bit system. They'd probably want a 64-bit one for latest games right?

The guy is also the IGN Editor (says on his GAF profile), so maybe it's a Mac or some other problem.

We only provided Windows code for the review. We wanted to have more focused testing on one platform for the reviewers.

@Sensuki

I love your posts man. Seriously you should be on Obsidian's payroll. Thanks a bunch for all the logs and contributions. You've no doubt spent countless hours playing for the purpose of improving the game, probably barely taking any time to enjoy it. 

I hope you get everything you were hoping for at launch :D

Cheers mate, and keep up the great work. 

• Like 4

There is his answer on codex.

Seems like the guy in the OP was playing with the crappiest PC ever, on a 32-bit system,. and running on a Mac via Windows emulation too.

It's like a Ferrari test drive in the middle of a swamp

Edited by Mazisky
  • Like 9

We were seeing crashes on some 32-bit machines, but I think that may be eliminated with recent optimizations.

Gah, I knew it. Here's hoping that I won't need an 64-bit upgrade so soon  :geek:

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...