Got this from NeoGAF, won't quote who the poster is.

I have one of the press accounts. Not really sure how much I'm allowed to say at this point.

The game is really good so far. Feels like Baldur's Gate 3. Lore seems crazy deep.

It is crashing to desktop on probably ~30% of all scene transitions (map loads) for me, though. Save often!

Got this from NeoGAF, won't quote who the poster is.

I have one of the press accounts. Not really sure how much I'm allowed to say at this point.

The game is really good so far. Feels like Baldur's Gate 3. Lore seems crazy deep.

It is crashing to desktop on probably ~30% of all scene transitions (map loads) for me, though. Save often!

Hmmm. It all goes on the scale, of course, but I, too, am now slightly more concerned than I was. Did they say they were sending a patch to the reviewers, like, super-soon though? I'm hoping that the review copies were an older build that was less stable than the release version.

Edited by Katarack21

Another silly thing is that for some reason they coded auto-saves to happen AFTER you enter an area, rather than before you enter an area @_@ Bester and I warned them about that in v435 ....

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70832-435-autosave-isnt-doing-what-its-supposed-to/

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

If it is true, it's a very noticeable bug so it's really strange they didn't know about it.

You can never catch all the bugs, but I doubt that 30% crashes managed to pass through the net of beta testing. Its probably specific issue to that guys hardware/software/etc and or he is exaggerating a bit.
  • Like 2

Another silly thing is that for some reason they coded auto-saves to happen AFTER you enter an area, rather than before you enter an area @_@ Bester and I warned them about that in v435 ....

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70832-435-autosave-isnt-doing-what-its-supposed-to/

I am no expert, but my guess is that windows startup example might fit here i.e. people want their OS to load fast, so you first load the core component to show something on screen and then you load the rest in the background.

The Mac client has been pretty crashy all through the BB. Perhaps he's running into similar issues. I've had no trouble with the Windows one since, like, forever.

Valid point, we don't know on what OS that person encountered those issues. Edited by Tort

Strange that the other guy with a press release answered the thread saying he got no problems with crashes. 

Not at all. Different hardware, software (drivers), or operating systems, probably. One or the other. Personal Computers, after all :p I wouldn't be surprised if there'll be more CTD reports and similar when the game is released. Unique problems that only happen on certain graphic cards, or someone has some obscure settings or accidental settings that causes trouble.

Or even if there's some options in the game menu combined with something else that causes weird things to happen that we haven't discovered and so on.

Edited by Osvir

I had a crap-ton of problems in that regard when I was playing the BB on a 32-bit OS. Switched to 64-bit and gone.

I'm not suggesting that specifically is the guy's issue, but certainly a 30% crash rate sounds like something on his particular hardware rather than a general release.

I'm not worried. I grew up playing Black Isle games without patches, and the crash rate was inevitably high. Likely still will be after the first two patches. Throwback to the IE games, etc.

You know, now might be a good time for Obsidian to give the backer beta to all backers. Massively increase the pool of different system configurations being tested.

Wasteland 2 did the same thing.

Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 7

I had a crap-ton of problems in that regard when I was playing the BB on a 32-bit OS. Switched to 64-bit and gone.

Great, now I am the one who is worried, 'cause I got a 32-bit Win7...

You know, now might be a good time for Obsidian to give the backer beta to all backers. Massively increase the pool of different system configurations being tested.

Wasteland 2 did the same thing.

Seriously, having an urge to check how PoE runs on my machine.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Well when changes are made there's always a chance of regression.

It's possible they implemented something that stuffs up on transitions. Could be related to a class, ability or item - dunno.

Could be a Mac or Linux crash, could be RAM related.

My computer is bloody crashalicious and it's ancient by now, but I've had exactly zero crashes in the betas I've tried (the last three).

It's entirely possible that it's an isolated problem with his rig and the game. Now, I'm not saying that it is, because I've had often been met with "Hurr my game works fine so it must be you" when I've gone to Support Boards and there's apparently people that played Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines without running into a single bug.

I'm just saying that one guy saying that it crashes a lot on what essentially is a pre-release copy (why even do those things in this day and age, where development is on all the way up to release day, goddamn...) does not a pattern make.

So cool your jets. I would be incredibly surprised if anyone that could run the beta just fine would suddenly have major issues with crashing, and I haven't heard anything about it being a major issue in the recent betas.

Well when changes are made there's always a chance of regression.

It's possible they implemented something that stuffs up on transitions. Could be related to a class, ability or item - dunno.

Could be a Mac or Linux crash, could be RAM related.

To sum up that post; "It could be anything". :lol:

But yeah, if we're taking bets, I'd say something that has something to do with optimization.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 4

t50aJUd.jpg

How well does it run on 4 GB RAM anyway? It is stated as a minimum requirement, but is it a "barely works even if PC and VGA are good" minimum, or a "it will be fine as long as your PC and VGA can handle it" minimum? (I'm talking about the Windows version. 64 bit.)

Edited by Gorbag

Nothing gold can stay.

I really can't imagine any possible reality, where Obsidian knowingly shipped a review release that crashes in 30% of all area transitions as a general thing. Nor can I imagine that they shipped it without knowing if that's a normal issue. 

Edited by TheisEjsing