Hey, folks. There had been some conversation and questions about whether the backers were going to be able to download the Hero, Champion, or Royal tiers on Steam and GOG. We are currently setting things up in a way that backers will be able to get special versions of those tiers.

Since not every tier maps exactly to one of those special editions, it might be a little off. Don't worry, though. If the special edition your tier is mapped to does not come with one of your rewards you can still download it on the Backer Portal as normal. You will always be able to download all of your rewards on the Backer Portal.

Just repeating myself so it is clear, if you have backed a reward you will be able to download it from the Backer Portal once we release the reward.

Here is the current breakdown of tiers and what SKU they map to on Steam/GOG:

Product Name - Pledge - SKU Mapping

Show of Support - $5.00 - N/A

Early Backer: Just the Game - $20.00 - Hero Edition

Digital: Just the Game! - $25.00 - Hero Edition

Slacker Backer - $29.00 - Hero Edition

Digital Pack: Soundtrack, Collector Book, Behind the Scenes - $35.00 - Hero Edition

Digital Fun Pack - $50.00 - Champion Edition

Retail Pack - $65.00 - Champion Edition

Digital Pack + Strategy Guide + Extra Download - $80.00 - Royal Edition

Retail Pack with T-Shirt - $100.00 - Royal Edition

Digital Collector's Edition - $110.00 - Royal Edition

Retail Collector's Edition - $140.00 - Royal Edition

Digital Collector's Edition w/Wasteland 2 + Expansion - $165.00 - Royal Edition

Signed Retail Collector's Edition - $250.00 - Royal Edition

AMD Loot Bag (US ONLY) - $350.00 - Royal Edition

Complete Kickstarter Obsidian Pack - $500.00 - Royal Edition

Custom Troll Portrait from Chris Avellone! - $750.00 - Royal Edition

Complete Kickstarter Pack + NPC Design - $1,000.00 - Royal Edition

Complete Kickstarter Pack + Epic Item Design - $1,000.00 - Royal Edition

Complete Kickstarter Pack + Custom Portrait - $3,000.00 - Royal Edition

Complete Kickstarter Pack + Adventure Company Design - $5,000.00 - Royal Edition

Complete Kickstarter Pack + Inn/Tavern Design - $5,000.00 - Royal Edition

Ultimate Kickstarter Watcher Pledge Pack - $10,000.00 - Royal Edition

• Like 27

Very useful. I had to cross reference with paradox to find out what I was getting before this list. 

Also can you put a link for the gog/steam/paradox sale page for lazy folks that don't wanna google (not me though). 

Edited by ryukenden

@badler

does this mean my 250$ backed edition is now a royal edition?

bah, I'll come by tomorrow and ask you in person.

• Like 2

The study of history is a powerful antidote to contemporary arrogance. It is humbling to discover how many of our glib assumptions, which seem to us novel and plausible, have been tested before, not once but many times and in innumerable guises; and discovered to be, at great human cost, wholly false.

--Paul Johnson

Do add-ons count in this equation? For example, what if you backed the Digital Fun Pack and picked the strategy guide as an add-on? That combination would include everything included in the Royal Edition. Would that still be mapped to the Champions Edition or would it be mapped "correctly" to the Royal Edition?

Edited by Lasweetlife
  • Like 2

@badler

does this mean my 250$ backed edition is now a royal edition?

bah, I'll come by tomorrow and ask you in person.

Yeah, but it is more for ease of use than anything else. This will allow people to download the backer rewards from Steam or GOG if they want to. Although, all of the promised rewards can still be downloaded from the Backer Portal too.

Do add-ons count in this equation? For example, what if you backed the Digital Fun Pack and picked the strategy guide as an add-on? That combination would include everything included in the Royal Edition. Would that still be mapped to the Champions Edition or would it be mapped "correctly" to the Royal Edition?

It does not take add-ons into account. There is no easy way for us to map those keys. If you have add-ons you will have to download them from the Backer Portal.

@BAdler   Just curious do the different editions have different in game start menu (i.e. a little sub title under the main title indicating the edition) / loading screens at the start with titles of "Royal Edition" or even "Collectors Edition" for the actual collectors SKU (physical install) or are they all the same?  Along the same lines did you do anything special for the desktop icon for Collectors, or is it also the same?

Edited by Azureblaze

@BAdler   Just curious do the different editions have different in game start menu (i.e. a little sub title under the main title indicating the edition) / loading screens at the start with titles of "Royal Edition" or even "Collectors Edition" for the actual collectors SKU (physical install) or are they all the same?  Along the same lines did you do anything special for the desktop icon for Collectors, or is it also the same?

Nope. The editions (hero, champion, royal) were created for those folks that weren't backers. They emulate some of the tiers, but at an increased price compared to a backer tier. Nothing special about the game itself... other than the extras that come with it.

Originally, backers were not going to get these special editions because they were going to download their rewards from the Backer Portal. A few backers really wanted to get associated special editions on Steam and GOG, though. We decided to make special editions for backers because, internally, enough people thought it would be a cool thing to do. I was against it at first (because it has the possibility to confuse backers), but I think this will work out well.

It does not take add-ons into account. There is no easy way for us to map those keys. If you have add-ons you will have to download them from the Backer Portal.

I was just wondering the same thing.  I backed for the regular boxed eddition + expansion and just spent time comparing the GOG editions to what is included in the retail pack.  I noticed the only difference between the retail pack and the royal edition was the strategy guide and was wondering what would happen if I bought the strategy guide addon.  I could have saved myself a lot of time had I checked the forum first.  I wish there was a way to map them, but oh well.

During the Kickstarter I was back and forth on whether to go for a collectors edition box, but I couldn't make up my mind before the Kickstarter ended.  I later regretted not going for the collectors edition, so I sent an email when the backer portal went up asking if I could upgrade my pledge and this was the response:

We're working on adding the ability to upgrade Tiers or purchase additional addons to existing Orders in the near future.  We'll be sending out a Backer Update when that functionality gets added.

I never got an update.  I saw the ability to purchas addons, but I never saw the ability to upgrade pledges.  Did I just miss it and if so is it too late to upgrade?

Do we know what the special Kickstarter-only in-game items are yet?

We have not talked about them, no. Just that it is an item and a pet.

http://buy.pillarsofeternity.com/

The item and the pet's names are in this link. Spoilers, I guess?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I am a little confused. In my backer portal I have:

Digital Download Plus $45. Is it the same as listed: Digital Fun Pack - $50.00 - Champion Edition or is it:

Digital Pack: Soundtrack, Collector Book, Behind the Scenes - $35.00 - Hero Edition ?

I also have boxed retail Polish edition. Is it like:

Retail Pack - $65.00 - Champion Edition?

No, those are the pre-order items which Kickstarter backers *also* get; the Kickstarter-only things are different. I've been trying to wheedle information about them for months. :p

Edited by Katarack21

No, those are the pre-order items which Kickstarter backers *also* get; the Kickstarter-only things are different. I've been trying to wheedle information about them for months. :p

It's an endless bag of holding! 

One has always considered oneself to be of the noblest lineage, and now it is confirmed that one is royalty, huzzah.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Ok, so as a post-kickstarter backer who backed on the website a year ago, at the "digital download" level for $35, where do I fall? "Hero" edition? Or am I going to be limited to downloading from the portal, not steam? 

As stated above:

Digital Pack: Soundtrack, Collector Book, Behind the Scenes - $35.00 - Hero Edition

Ok, so as a post-kickstarter backer who backed on the website a year ago, at the "digital download" level for $35, where do I fall? "Hero" edition? Or am I going to be limited to downloading from the portal, not steam?

As stated above:

Digital Pack: Soundtrack, Collector Book, Behind the Scenes - $35.00 - Hero Edition

Not sure that "pack" and "download" are the same thing, which is why I asked. All I'm listed as getting in the backer portal is "digital download of the game", not the other stuff.

As stated above:

Not sure that "pack" and "download" are the same thing, which is why I asked. All I'm listed as getting in the backer portal is "digital download of the game", not the other stuff.

Hmmmm.... Not sure then if the portal says you're only getting the game. Was that after the prices initially went up then?

I wish I could go back and see the backing levels (post-kickstarter) but it appears I can only look at my own. Not sure if they're archived somewhere?

Edited by monosco

I will post those mappings when I get back into the office this morning.

This is really nice to know, but here's a basic question for you:

If you're a KS backer, like me, and a Steam user, does it still work like this?

1) You put them Steam keys out on Monday or Tuesday next week on your backer portal, with the right Steam tier for it - Royal or whatever applies.

2) I copy it into Add game over at Steam, and then I will get the option to preload later.

3) At the same time, you give us backers, a few digital booklets on your backer site, with one exception: the strategy guide.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I will post those mappings when I get back into the office this morning.

Thanks! Just want to confirm I'll get a steam code, piggy, etc. Thanks!