trigger dependant passive abilities need a clear activation vfx.

There are a whole lot of them, but I'll take the fire godlike's battle-forged as an example.

As you can see on the screenshot it's active, but there is no buff icon, vfx or any other indicator that it's active neither on the character's portrait nor on the model nor anywhere else except for the combat log and burning enemies. Imo, such abilities should be displayed in a more explicit manner, especially the moment of activation or deactivation.

bforged.jpg

Green dots as the activation marker.

P.S. Crits asked me to tell the devs they'd like to be followed by screenshakes.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Screenshakes are the shaky cam of games.

Next you'll ask for blood to splash on the screen when I get hit.

Lol, next gen I'll ask for a blood splash on my face when I gut someone.

if seriously screenshakes worked fine in BG2.

Edited by mrmonocle

No, they did not. They were annoying as ****. Also, it doesn't matter whether your crit. If you do, you do and could't act upon it anyway. Also, your passive is always-on. What good does it do to see it's always on? The vfx would be a nice touch (maybe), but a useless information that would clutter the ui. It's not like you had to immediately act upon it.

Yay, my badge :3

Also, your passive is always-on.

No! Battle-forged activates once you are 50% endurance down. Also there are a lot of other abilities like this (class or item based).

• Like 1

You're right. It activates on a certain Endurance level. But it WILL activate, no matter what. What good does it do to acknowledge the fact visually? As I said, PoE is not a game where you actually have to react on such passives in a time-critical manner. As far as I know passives don't activate certain abilities you could then use or otherwise they wouldn't be passives. I understand the sentiment for vfx, but at the same time I would find it cluttering in a fight were enough magic effects are flying around anyway.

Edited by wickermoon

Yay, my badge :3

You're right. It activates on a certain Endurance level. But it WILL activate, no matter what. What good does it do to acknowledge the fact visually? As I said, PoE is not a game where you actually have to react on such passives in a time-critical manner. As far as I know passives don't activate certain abilities you could then use or otherwise they wouldn't be passives. I understand the sentiment for vfx, but at the same time I would find it cluttering in a fight were enough magic effects are flying around anyway.

It's providing information to the player. I shouldn't have to assume that the ability has been activated, it should be made clear. As far as clutter is concerned, that's for the PoE team to figure out.