If the game is gold....

And even if it's Gold, pretty sure they're still working on a Day 0 patch - wouldn't want to miss out on that.

As for the extra year - eh, iffy. Early 2014 was for the original (~1.1 Million) Kickstarter budget, not the 4M they got. It was delayed, yes, but I'd say at most six months.

Edited by Ark Evensong

And even if it's Gold, pretty sure they're still working on a Day 0 patch - wouldn't want to miss out on that.

As for the extra year - eh, iffy. Early 2014 was for the original (~1.1 Million) Kickstarter budget, not the 4M they got. It was delayed, yes, but I'd say at most six months.

Now, we all understand that a Kickstarter project is something that has never come in on time, but the reasons for those delays aside, they originally listed a date, although speculative, which they have passed by a year, in my understanding.

Honestly, they should give us an early copy. However, it is understandable why they don't. The logistics of it must be a nightmare and giving people a choice between gog and steam and keeping those who just preordered the game on steam vs those who backed it seperate, from my understanding simply isn't possible.

That said, I think it's quite inexcusable to delay backer rewards one second after they can deliver it to us. Surely, gratitude would merit having access to the game we helped fund a little in advance to everyone else, wouldn't it?

Alas, it doesn't matter much. Policy at this point, I assume, is rather set in stone.

No trust me you didn't want the game early. I've been following the beta since they released it and it was a pile of poo until recently it's coming around. So it looks like thing's should kinda be ok by the first patch or two. I'm fine as long as it's not as bad as skyrim at launch. That was the worst experience I've ever had at launch, yet they still gave that game goty?! I think this will be much better.

Now, we all understand that a Kickstarter project is something that has never come in on time, but the reasons for those delays aside, they originally listed a date, although speculative, which they have passed by a year, in my understanding.

Honestly, they should give us an early copy. However, it is understandable why they don't. The logistics of it must be a nightmare and giving people a choice between gog and steam and keeping those who just preordered the game on steam vs those who backed it seperate, from my understanding simply isn't possible.

That said, I think it's quite inexcusable to delay backer rewards one second after they can deliver it to us. Surely, gratitude would merit having access to the game we helped fund a little in advance to everyone else, wouldn't it?

Alas, it doesn't matter much. Policy at this point, I assume, is rather set in stone.

Just because we are Gold Master doesn't mean we are finished working on the game. For reference, we are locking down our day one patch very shortly.

As to the Kickstarter date, it is impossible to change it once the Kickstarter is active. Once Obsidian gained more money (and stretch goals) it naturally ballooned the schedule out. If we were to deliver it on the original date in the Kickstarter it would have only had five classes, no mega dungeon, fewer companions, etc..

• Like 11

Just because we are Gold Master doesn't mean we are finished working on the game. For reference, we are locking down our day one patch very shortly.

As to the Kickstarter date, it is impossible to change it once the Kickstarter is active. Once Obsidian gained more money (and stretch goals) it naturally ballooned the schedule out. If we were to deliver it on the original date in the Kickstarter it would have only had five classes, no mega dungeon, fewer companions, etc..

I didn't mean to imply that you lot could realistically set a day and hit it. I'm firmly in the camp of late and done than rushed and unready. However, I still maintain it's overtime -- whether or not the original quote was realistic. Am I angry about this? Nope. Do I want you to repeat my opinion? Not at all. I think it's a valid position none-the-less.

And yes, that's a good point about the day one patch. But at this point, I'd settle for a slightly more buggy game now and get the patch when it drops, rather than wait longer than I had to. I mean, the features are all there, the assets are all final and I presume the game isn't riddled with CTDs. For me? That's enough. I never did NOT assume that there wasn't going to be post-launch patches. So as a player, I don't really see the difference between playing a game at a post-gold, pre-day one patch and post-launch, pre-early patch.

However, as a professional, I can understand a degree of pride in making sure the work is as good as it can be before release. I guess it's not a big deal. A week from now, it's all going to be the same to me.

I completely understand wanting the game to be released as soon as possible, but trust me when I say that the extra cleanup and polish goes a long way. It can take a game from good to great in my opinion.

• Like 11

No trust me you didn't want the game early. I've been following the beta since they released it and it was a pile of poo until recently it's coming around. So it looks like thing's should kinda be ok by the first patch or two. I'm fine as long as it's not as bad as skyrim at launch. That was the worst experience I've ever had at launch, yet they still gave that game goty?! I think this will be much better.

Fixed that for you. :ermm:

• Like 2

What killed Wasteland 2 for me and kept it from being a great game was the unending gamebreaking bugs that forced me to reload the game constantly losing hours of progress. It became so very frustrating that in the end it felt like a crawl to just hit the end and finishing the game gave me more feeling of relief than accomplishment. "Phew, finally I can uninstall this and forget about it forever". And I was rather lucky, a friend of mine couldn't get past a certain area of the game involving a remote robot since the quest bugged and there was no way forward at all.

I much rather wait even 3 or 6 months more if need be than having the same happen to Pillars of Eternity, as it'd just destroy the game and turn it into a forgettable game just like Wasteland 2 was for me. I want to play the game only when the game is perfectly bug-free, and the only way to have that is waiting to release day. Hopefully.

Edited by Emerwyn
  • Like 1

That was the worst experience I've ever had at launch, yet they still gave that game goty?!

I bought VtM:B in stores and tried to play it at launch. Did the same thing with Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor.

One of these games had a total showstopper bug at launch; it was literally impossible to go past a certain point if you hit this bug. The other one had an uninstall bug that would wipe your entire Windows partition.

Skyrim really wasn't that bad.

• Like 1

That was the worst experience I've ever had at launch, yet they still gave that game goty?!

I bought VtM:B in stores and tried to play it at launch. Did the same thing with Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor.

One of these games had a total showstopper bug at launch; it was literally impossible to go past a certain point if you hit this bug. The other one had an uninstall bug that would wipe your entire Windows partition.

Anecdotes are fun. I bought VTMB at launch and finished it in two days no problem. Skyrim was a way bigger mess but I dont fault Bethesda too much. It's going to happen when youve got a sandbox that big. The important thing is being able to get through the crit path with minimal issues for the majority of players. We will have to wait and see the reviews to know how well POE fares.

On topic: Yes I agree with the over entitled OP whom I hate for making me use the word entitled. Obsidian owes us the game asap for not perfectly estimating the release date years ago like every other developer easily does.

Edited by Shdy314

Anecdotes are fun. I bought VTMB at launch and finished it in two days no problem. Skyrim was a way bigger mess but I dont fault Bethesda too much. It's going to happen when youve got a sandbox that big. The important thing is being able to get through the crit path with minimal issues for the majority of players. We will have to wait and see the reviews to know how well POE fares.

On topic: Yes I agree with the over entitled OP whom I hate for making me use the word entitled. Obsidian owes us the game asap for not perfectly estimating the release date years ago like every other developer easily does.

I'm glad your experience went so well with VtM:B, considering the known almost-without-fail showstopper bug with the boat in the cave that will force you to crash to desk top every single time unless you patch or use the command console. You want frustration? You want a bad launch? Try a game that is literally broken--does not work, does not function, literally is impossible to succeed in--at launch. That's what VtM:B was for most purchasers.

Skyrim had some problems, but if that's literally the worst launch experience you've ever had then man, you are a lucky son of a bitch because at least the game was playable.

• Like 1

I'm glad your experience went so well with VtM:B, considering the known almost-without-fail showstopper bug with the boat in the cave that will force you to crash to desk top every single time unless you patch or use the command console. You want frustration? You want a bad launch? Try a game that is literally broken--does not work, does not function, literally is impossible to succeed in--at launch. That's what VtM:B was for most purchasers.

Skyrim had some problems, but if that's literally the worst launch experience you've ever had then man, you are a lucky son of a bitch because at least the game was playable.

God, I remember that bug. I felt cheated when I got to that point in the game. Like I couldn't believe a company would ship a game with a bug that made their game impossible to finish. Oh, good old teenager innocence...I think I'll wait some weeks / months before hiting PoE...

A similar thing happened with Wasteland 2. The first part of the game I was thinking "This is awesome", "Goty"....then I arrived to the bug-fest that was Holywood...and I had to stop playing. It's been...I don't know how many months...and still I don't feel like going back and finishing the game...

Edited by namelessthree

I'm accually more intrested about digitial books and all...still waiting for that to release

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Yeah, I can understand not releasing the game early, but I do wonder about all the extras. We could be perusing Tim's cookbook or that novella or the almanac while waiting. Or watching that documentary, which looks very interesting based on the released tease.

I mean, I'm (mostly) fine with waiting, but I'm not sure of why there'd need to be a delay for those unless it's a case of 'then the people with a physical box have to wait longer for their versions of those', which, based on previous kickstarters, they'll have to do anyway - I didn't get my Wasteland 2 physical box until long after I'd completed a run of the game from my digital copy.

I'm fine with having to wait for the game to release. I would really like some lore to read though in preparation of creating a character. I've found some snippets here and there from the guidebooks, reading all of the lore once the books released would take a while and it would be nice to be able to start playing the game at release date. 

(I'm also getting a bit bored with gnomoria and have no other games lined up ;))

Yeah, I can understand not releasing the game early, but I do wonder about all the extras. We could be perusing Tim's cookbook or that novella or the almanac while waiting. Or watching that documentary, which looks very interesting based on the released tease.

I mean, I'm (mostly) fine with waiting, but I'm not sure of why there'd need to be a delay for those unless it's a case of 'then the people with a physical box have to wait longer for their versions of those', which, based on previous kickstarters, they'll have to do anyway - I didn't get my Wasteland 2 physical box until long after I'd completed a run of the game from my digital copy.

Pretty sure the documentary will actually be the last PoE backer reward they release. They want to include the final days too and after that it still needs to edited to be presentable.