They wouldn't allow reviewers to show the game in streams on the 23rd if they were afraid of metacritic scores. Any general issues will be well displayed live so everyone can see them starting Monday.

I was personally very worried about allowing streaming before launch, but only because I didn't want the story to get spoiled for folks. The team has taken a lot of steps to reduce the number of spoilers that get out.

But, times are a changin' and streaming before launch is where it's at now.

We do have an embargo on streaming anything past getting your stronghold so that should preserve a good amount of the story.

• Like 5

@badler

Not a problem if you can't answer, but I'm curious how many review codes were sent out.

I am not sure. Paradox is handling all of that stuff. I gave them 1,000 Steam keys to the reviewer build, though. I doubt they will hand out that many (or anywhere close), but you never know. I can ask David tomorrow.

• Like 2

I'm really happy to know you were looking out for us about story spoilers. All the time I've spent here reading stuff and following the development, I still have *NO* real idea about the story--and that makes me *SO* happy.

Good story, good characters, and an immersive setting are really the things I'm in it for. To this day when I think of BG II, I don't think of gameplay mechanics or quests or anything; I think of wandering through Irencus's dungeon learning fragments about this terrifying mystery man, I think about Minsc's clear but amusing insanity, I think about Bodhi's sheer creepiness or about the damage Irenicus did to Imoen's mind or the dream sequences where Irenicus challenges your conceptions of right and wrong. These are the kinds of things that stuck with me, and they are the kind of thing I'm glad haven't been spoiled in PoE.

• Like 7

They wouldn't allow reviewers to show the game in streams on the 23rd if they were afraid of metacritic scores. Any general issues will be well displayed live so everyone can see them starting Monday.

I was personally very worried about allowing streaming before launch, but only because I didn't want the story to get spoiled for folks. The team has taken a lot of steps to reduce the number of spoilers that get out.

We do have an embargo on streaming anything past getting your stronghold so that should preserve a good amount of the story.

any idea on how far that is? like mid game or whatever. 

@morhilane, what monday? is that where you can start showing the game?

@badler

Not a problem if you can't answer, but I'm curious how many review codes were sent out.

I am not sure. Paradox is handling all of that stuff. I gave them 1,000 Steam keys to the reviewer build, though. I doubt they will hand out that many (or anywhere close), but you never know. I can ask David tomorrow.

That made me want to scrooge mcduck in a big vat of PE keys

• Like 2

I feel the same way. You have done an absolutely amazing job in keeping the spoilers from us. I have been following the game development intensely, and know next to nothing about the story. That is quite extraordinary.

So now I just have to hold on for 3 days and not watch any streams. It will be hard, but I am really looking forward to the 26th.

Gonna be a pain to avoid watching streams and such (and hopefully people won't spoil everything in forum thread titles as tend to happen sometimes). Just a bit longer...

I think the safest thing will be to avoid the forums as well. I will try to at least, also because it will be plastered with links to streams.

• Like 1

Man, I must say that I'm a bit disappointed that the streams are allowed all the way up to the Stronghold, which according to Obsidian (that's you) is anywhere from 1/3 to 2/4 of the entire game, and that it's allowed so many days before the game is even released. I would have expected "the prologue" or something, but not that much.

It's going to be hard as all hell to dodge all of that, for anyone taking an interest in PoE but that may not want to be spoiled. And I think that accounts for most of the fans.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Man, I must say that I'm a big disappointed that the streams are allowed all the way up to the Stronghold, which according to Obsidian (that's you) is anywhere from 1/3 to 2/4 of the entire game, and that it's allowed so many days before the game is even released.

It's going to be hard as all hell to dodge all of that, for anyone taking an interest in PoE but that may not want to be spoiled. And I think that accounts for most of the fans.

It's only 3 days till release from the day streaming is allowed. One would hope someone who avoids spoilers would be capable of avoiding all Pillars of Eternity related websites. 

One thing I'm pretty sure. I'm not going to bother with any of the "reviewers" and play the game when I get it myself to draw my own first impressions.

Most likely I'll even abandon this site on sunday altogether.

Edited by Emerwyn

any idea on how far that is? like mid game or whatever. 

@morhilane, what monday? is that where you can start showing the game?

Not me personally because i'm not a reviewer, the reviewers have a street date (March 23rd) when they can start showing the first part of the game on streams. It's going to be full of early spoilers and I know (because it always happen) that a few of them are going to show things they are not supposed to show.

I can sympathize with the devs on trying to limit spoilers before release, it's really hard once things get out of your hands to avoid (and game reviewers seems to do more in sensationalism than professionalism).

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

In general it is going to be hard to avoid spoilers - but not really for me. The only thing I will be interested in is the general sentiment (and perhaps the review score), and that can be sumed up in a nice spoiler-free blurb.

I paid for my tier years ago, and through the process I have gotten my moneys worth. Let us hope the game is also worth playing.

It is interesting how streaming is changing the face of reviews however.

Man, I must say that I'm a big disappointed that the streams are allowed all the way up to the Stronghold, which according to Obsidian (that's you) is anywhere from 1/3 to 2/4 of the entire game, and that it's allowed so many days before the game is even released.

It's only 3 days till release from the day streaming is allowed. One would hope someone who avoids spoilers would be capable of avoiding all Pillars of Eternity related websites. 

Eh. I sincerely doubt that. That's three full days where you can't even set foot anywhere related to PoE. For anyone frequenting this forum daily.. yeah, that's not necessarily that easy.

t50aJUd.jpg

So there's is a release date embargo? Wasn't there just a huge crapstorm in the gaming community recently about enforced release date embargoes?

Well I guess Kotaku won't be doing an early access review of it.

The truly consumer-friendly option would be to simply not base reviews on pre-release code. If more sites followed that policy, embargoes would be irrelevant. Of course, most won't do it because they want day 1 site traffic.

The only place you'll find the "gold" version is on physical media. All digital versions will very quickly be patched. It's a fair enough to say that "release code" doesn't mean much in an age when day 1 patches are the norm, but that doesn't change the point that reviewers should be basing their evaluation on the consumer experience. For the most part, they simply don't because their priority is site traffic not providing helpful information to people who buy games,

I don't blame Obsidian/Paradox for ginning up a "review code" patch and going the embargo route. They kinda have to. That's how the game is played. It's up to consumers to recognize the economics of game reviewing isn't at all consumer-friendly, and adjust their habits accordingly.

Edited by Flow

"It's exactly what they set out to make. :)"

From the comments of the reviewer (I think?) at MMORPG.com

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1029/feature/9510/Pillars-of-Eternity-Exclusive-Class-Preview-Part-1.html

Yup, Bill Murphy is a reviewer at MMORPG.

edit: and looks like other MMORPG staff are having fun with the game too going by Grakulen's comment in the same thread.

Edited by morhilane

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

More tweets from the deputy editor of IGN Finland. No specific 'good or bad' comments, but I think you can infer good things from what he says.

Joonas Pikkarainen @Pjorkkis

I really can't talk about #PillarsofEternity yet, but let's just say that my first session lasted 11 hours. So, yeah...

1 retweet1 favourite
 Retweet1
 Favourite1
More

I used to have free time like you, but then I got #PillarsOfEternity on PC.

• Like 3

More similar sentiments from Jason Schreier on GAF:

You know how back in the day you'd be playing Baldur's Gate or Planescape and then suddenly you'd look up and it'd be midnight? Well, uh, yeah.  

and from Ian Cheong from Gameranx:

I'm not going to spoil anything, but Pillars of Eternity reminds me so much of Fallout. In a very, very good way.

Edited by DannyBarks
  • Like 2