Is there a PoE review watch thread somewhere? Now that the game is in the wild, I'm curious to read the first impressions and reviews of the game.

A game like this has been a long time coming. This is a particular itch that I've wanted needed to scratch for a very long time. Last year's Divinity: Original Sin helped, but didn't quite get me there.

Thanks to Obsidian for helping me with my obsession!

we can maybe just use this thread as a review watch thread?

Sounds good. Quick survey on Google looks like there is not anything up yet. Not even a 'hey I got my review copy today, I will let you know what I think soon'

Is there an embargo date?

Pretty sure BAdler said the review copies are delivered and reviewers are free to publish their reviews now.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Sounds good. Quick survey on Google looks like there is not anything up yet. Not even a 'hey I got my review copy today, I will let you know what I think soon'

A couple reviewers on twitter boasted getting a game key.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/577969924850737152

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/578247624190504960

https://twitter.com/botherer/status/577890617528823808

(Also, check out the comments at the last link. They are hilarious.)

Is there an embargo date?

Pretty sure BAdler said the review copies are delivered and reviewers are free to publish their reviews now.

Nope, embargo is till march 23.

Source?

Some guy mentioned it on the codex. So yeah, it's a little fishy.

But other soruces say that embargo is till the release, and I don't really like the idea :)

A couple reviewers on twitter boasted getting a game key.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/577969924850737152

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/578247624190504960

https://twitter.com/botherer/status/577890617528823808

(Also, check out the comments at the last link. They are hilarious.)

Augh, they supplied a review copy to Rock, Paper, Shotgun? Pre-order cancelled!

Just kidding. RPS is the bottom of the barrel barely above handing out review copies to NAMBLA, but I don't actually have a pre-order.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

RPS is pretty good if you like obscure/experimental games. They often recommend interesting indies and the comment sections with puns are pretty fun too.

And it's really silly to call out any particular reviewing websites... none of them are "quality". Mostly I read them for entertainment and that they usually provide.

• Like 3

In the last link of Sonntam a guy asked about the embargo just 5 minutes ago:

Q: "Embargoed or can we nag you for impressions?"

A: "Embargoed."

Q: "What's the embargo date?"

A: "Monday for some stuff."

So i think the first reviews will go online next week Mo/Tue?

Edited by Niggey

Makes sense. PoE is enormous and you don't want reviewers rushing through 1/3 of it in a day then posting their review to be first for desperate page views. An embargo around the 23rd gives every reviewer a fair chance to get through and post about it at the same time as everyone else.

• Like 1

Going by Neogaf. Full review is embargoed until the 26th, but they can start to stream (part of) the game on the 23th.

The twentithirth?

• Like 3

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

So there's is a release date embargo? Wasn't there just a huge crapstorm in the gaming community recently about enforced release date embargoes?

Well I guess Kotaku won't be doing an early access review of it.

So there's is a release date embargo? Wasn't there just a huge crapstorm in the gaming community recently about enforced release date embargoes?

The truly consumer-friendly option would be to simply not base reviews on pre-release code. If more sites followed that policy, embargoes would be irrelevant. Of course, most won't do it because they want day 1 site traffic.

• Like 1

The truly consumer-friendly option would be to simply not base reviews on pre-release code. If more sites followed that policy, embargoes would be irrelevant. Of course, most won't do it because they want day 1 site traffic.

Well this isn't technically pre-release code, I assume that the keys given to reviewers is the "gold" version. 

Generally, the main reason publishers want to delay reviews until the release date in order to protect pre-orders against a low metacritic score. I don't really like release date embargoes, in general. I think they're generally bad for the consumer.

• Like 1

Well this isn't technically pre-release code, I assume that the keys given to reviewers is the "gold" version. 

Generally, the main reason publishers want to delay reviews until the release date in order to protect pre-orders against a low metacritic score. I don't really like release date embargoes, in general. I think they're generally bad for the consumer.

They wouldn't allow reviewers to show the game in streams on the 23rd if they were afraid of metacritic scores. Any general issues will be well displayed live so everyone can see them starting Monday.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.