We need a bunch of non-backers buying this

Not so much that I have to have romances, it's their reasons for not having it that make me hesitate.  If they don't want to be bothered with having to be creative and write a romance, what chance is there that they put much effort into the NPC's at all.  That kind of pulled the game way back for me.  The NPC's are one of my favorite parts of BG and similar games.

Man this 'no romances' nonsense is just off the hook. These people have written some of the best PCs in history are you freaking kidding me? Man Chris Avellone makes a few self-deprecating jokes and rumor mill just goes insane. Obsidian cares obsessively and deeply about their PCs.

Edited by Valmy
  • Like 2

I don't know about the game being bug-free. I'm afriad it will repeat the mistakes of SW:TOR - at the release every single bit of end-game content was bugged because public tests never allowed people to get into these stages of a game. PoE does something similar - allowing people to access only tiny bit of a game more to test the gameplay and generic mechanics than testing... you know... the game itself. It obviously got a huge disadvantages, such as that we don't have any sagnificant spoilers, but it also can cause tons of problems with bugs in the storyline and quests.

SW:TOR was a MMO so we are talking orders of magnitude greater amounts of content and variables. I don't think much can be directly mapped between the two genres.

FYI: Bugs in SW:TOR were mostly related to quests / dungeons / scripted events - all of which are heavily used in PoE. And it's MMORPG, so quite relevant genre. ;)

As for the marketing stuff well they are getting stuff out there to all the game bloggers...er...I mean press and various internet gaming personalities. Paradox is not going to be able to do things like take out TV ads and that sort of thing so that will have to do.

I was thinking more about interviews in large gaming-related websites / banners / gameplay videos / some new pre-release trailer / etc. Spening money on TV ads for PoE would be, IMHO, waste of money.

This is true. I enjoyed the HELL out of ME. ME2, I enjoyed much less. ME3 I hated. A lot. It's not because I'm some kind of elitist; it's because the game became much more linear and limited, and at the same time the "cinematic" quality became much more pronounced. It became less and less of a game and more and more of an interactive movie, and this was intentional, and I didn't like it.

... then again, everyone knew that before buying the game. If you don't like cinematics, just stay away from such games. Tbh, I don't understand all the hate here for modern triple-A standards. The cinematics of ME3 were awesome and the choices presented in those were equally awesome aswell (if we exclude the terrible ending). In fact, at several points of the game, I was like "whoa... I just can't decide on that now." and shut the game down to get time to think it through. I never had that feeling in any CRPG I remember yet. Even the glorified Fallout 1 and 2 or Planescape: Torment didn't have such a moment for me.

And if you really feel that an RPG game is all about mechanics and not writing, story or decisionmaking, then I have nothing to say to you.

No, an RPG is about choice, interactivity, consequences, writing, story, characters, non-linear gameplay, and a set of mechanics. All of these things are necessary to make an RPG; miss out on one of them and you end up with a game that has RPG attributes. ME3 is a little more of an RPG than, say, Bioshock--but not by a whole lot. It is significantly less of an RPG than System Shock or System Shock 2, to provide other examples. What ME2 really is is a third-person shooter with significant RPG elements.

By that definition:

- Baldurs Gate (no consequences, no choices)

- Baldurs Gate 2 (linear gameplay, no real choices)

- Icewind Dale (no memorable characters, linear gameplay)

- Icewind Dale 2 (see above)

- Planescape Torment (semi-linear, game mechanics are not on par with other IE-games)

wouldn't have qualified as RPGs either. And yet you are here, waiting to play a game that was made with exactly those games in mind.

The definition of "RPG" is almost as widespread as the definition of "FPS" or "Action Adventure" nowadays. Technically, Minecraft is "FPS"...

Edited by Zwiebelchen

This is true. I enjoyed the HELL out of ME. ME2, I enjoyed much less. ME3 I hated. A lot. It's not because I'm some kind of elitist; it's because the game became much more linear and limited, and at the same time the "cinematic" quality became much more pronounced. It became less and less of a game and more and more of an interactive movie, and this was intentional, and I didn't like it.

... then again, everyone knew that before buying the game. If you don't like cinematics, just stay away from such games. Tbh, I don't understand all the hate here for modern triple-A standards. The cinematics of ME3 were awesome and the choices presented in those were equally awesome aswell (if we exclude the terrible ending). In fact, at several points of the game, I was like "whoa... I just can't decide on that now." and shut the game down to get time to think it through. I never had that feeling in any CRPG I remember yet. Even the glorified Fallout 1 and 2 or Planescape: Torment didn't have such a moment for me.

And if you really feel that an RPG game is all about mechanics and not writing, story or decisionmaking, then I have nothing to say to you.

No, an RPG is about choice, interactivity, consequences, writing, story, characters, non-linear gameplay, and a set of mechanics. All of these things are necessary to make an RPG; miss out on one of them and you end up with a game that has RPG attributes. ME3 is a little more of an RPG than, say, Bioshock--but not by a whole lot. It is significantly less of an RPG than System Shock or System Shock 2, to provide other examples. What ME2 really is is a third-person shooter with significant RPG elements.

By that definition:

- Baldurs Gate (no consequences, no choices)

- Baldurs Gate 2 (linear gameplay, no real choices)

- Icewind Dale (no memorable characters, linear gameplay)

- Icewind Dale 2 (see above)

- Planescape Torment (semi-linear, game mechanics are not on par with other IE-games)

wouldn't have qualified as RPGs either. And yet you are here, waiting to play a game that was made with exactly those games in mind.

The definition of "RPG" is almost as widespread as the definition of "FPS" nowadays. Technically, Minecraft is "FPS"...

IWD are hack-and-slash, specifically; they are literally only the mechanics of an RPG with nothing else, as they are pretty much homages to the old days of RPG's when that was literally the entire definition.

BG 1 and 2 do in fact have real choices with real consequences, up to and including choices that directly result in character deaths and major gameplay changes, although this is more prevalent in BG 2. BG 2 is only semi-linear, at that; while the chapters happen in order, how you complete those chapters (and most especially chapters 1 and 2) are entirely open to you. Planescape: Torment is more of a visual novel than it is almost anything else; this is actually admitted by the developers, although I'm sure you'll argue all day long.

Have you actually played any of these games?

Edited by Katarack21

IWD are hack-and-slash, specifically; they are literally only the mechanics of an RPG with nothing else, as they are pretty much homages to the old days of RPG's when that was literally the entire definition.

Interesting point of view considering that every respectable website and magazine I seen qualifies IWD as an RPG, not H&S. But still it's only your personal point of view. And IMHO there's really no point discoussing about personal preferences like that. It's just a waste of time. Equally well I can consider mentioned Minecraft to be an FPS and argue about it for a few days. Totally pointless effort.

Edited by Sky_walker

Interesting point of view considering that every respectable website and magazine I seen qualifies IWD as an RPG, not H&S. But still it's only your personal point of view.

H&S *are* RPG's; Hack&Slash is a specific subset of RPG, actually the *oldest* form of RPG. The term itself actually comes out of Dragon magazine.

BG 1 and 2 do in fact have real choices with real consequences, up to and including choices that directly result in character deaths and major gameplay changes, although this is more prevalent in BG 2. BG 2 is only semi-linear, at that; while the chapters happen in order, how you complete those chapters (and most especially chapters 1 and 2) are entirely open to you. Planescape: Torment is more of a visual novel than it is almost anything else; this is actually admitted by the developers, although I'm sure you'll argue all day long.

Wow, no need to get personal...

I'm just giving examples of how games that are widely considered as RPGs wouldn't even match your definition of RPG. If you don't regard these games as RPGs, then fine, but I just fail to see how you would be disappointed about ME not being an RPG if you wouldn't even consider those other games RPGs.

I think you get my point. Did you really expect ME:3 to be more RPG than, let's say, Planescape?

In BG1 and BG2, choices were mostly minor and didn't have any real impact on the game other than perma-deaths and a reputation score.

And even in BG2 you can't have a say in anything relating to the game's critical path. You can not convince Yoshimo to not betray you. You can not refuse to help Suldanessalar even though Irenicus has a damn good point. You can not really team up with Bodhi other them temporarily. You can not decide to not care about Imoen. Heck, you can't even be properly evil, even if the game has a reputation score suggesting it.

The only chapter that is not linear is chapter 2/3 (which is essentially the same chapter). But I regard this chapter more as a bunch of completely story-unrelated sidequests. And it is.

Edited by Zwiebelchen

Interesting point of view considering that every respectable website and magazine I seen qualifies IWD as an RPG, not H&S. But still it's only your personal point of view.

H&S *are* RPG's; Hack&Slash is a specific subset of RPG, actually the *oldest* form of RPG. The term itself actually comes out of Dragon magazine.

You missed the point. Vast majority (if not all) of respectable magazines and websites do not label IWD as H&S.

You missed the point. Vast majority (if not all) of respectable magazines and websites do not label IWD as H&S.

I notice the no-true-Scotsman fallacy there, making it so any site I point out (and there's thousands of them) that label it as hack-and-slash can just be said to not be "respectable".

Edited by Katarack21

Not so much that I have to have romances, it's their reasons for not having it that make me hesitate.  If they don't want to be bothered with having to be creative and write a romance, what chance is there that they put much effort into the NPC's at all.  That kind of pulled the game way back for me.  The NPC's are one of my favorite parts of BG and similar games.

Man this 'no romances' nonsense is just off the hook. These people have written some of the best PCs in history are you freaking kidding me? Man Chris Avellone makes a few self-deprecating jokes and rumor mill just goes insane. Obsidian cares obsessively and deeply about their PCs.

Then I would say the fault is with Chris for what he said, not on others for how they took it.  Chris has done nothing to make anyone think any differently and acts too arrogant to be bothered with it.  Not the kind of person I want to throw money at.

There are non backers buying this than you can imagine. I came in late so I ordered from GMG. Waiting on my key this week. 

Some of those that purchase from other sites such as gmg, gg, steam don't come to these forums at all. So you would be surprised to see others are learning of this game. Word of mouth has been huge.

Then I would say the fault is with Chris for what he said, not on others for how they took it.  Chris has done nothing to make anyone think any differently and acts too arrogant to be bothered with it.  Not the kind of person I want to throw money at.

I'm sorry, but are you, as they say, "cereal"?

If you have played any Obsidian game, ever, you know that they take the utmost care with their companion npcs and oftentimes they are finely crafted. Not usually faceless, thoughtless goons.

If you are really on the edge on whether to buy the game and the fact that there is no romance in it is swaying you towards not buying it, I think you are doing yourself a massive disservice. I assume you are here because you love or like the idea of IE games returning. That you fondly remember classics like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape:Torment or maybe something Fallout or even something like Temple of Elemental Evil or Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader.

I don't see how whether or not Pillars of Eternity will have romances could possibly affect you in any way, as a fan of any of those games. If you are truly here as a fan, which I'm assuming is the case since the game hasn't even released yet, I frankly don't even begin to understand your thoughtprocess. If you are a fan, you know better than to say something as ridiculous as what you did. You know better than that, come on!

I'm just giving examples of how games that are widely considered as RPGs wouldn't even match your definition of RPG. If you don't regard these games as RPGs, then fine, but I just fail to see how you would be disappointed about ME not being an RPG if you wouldn't even consider those other games RPGs.

I think you get my point. Did you really expect ME:3 to be more RPG than, let's say, Planescape?

In BG1 and BG2, choices were mostly minor and didn't have any real impact on the game other than perma-deaths and a reputation score.

And even in BG2 you can't have a say in anything relating to the game's critical path. You can not convince Yoshimo to not betray you. You can not refuse to help Suldanessalar even though Irenicus has a damn good point. You can not really team up with Bodhi other them temporarily. You can not decide to not care about Imoen. Heck, you can't even be properly evil, even if the game has a reputation score suggesting it.

The only chapter that is not linear is chapter 2/3 (which is essentially the same chapter). But I regard this chapter more as a bunch of completely story-unrelated sidequests. And it is.

You can, in fact, not care about Imoen. You can't not go to Spellhold, but you don't have to go there for Imoen. You can tell everybody and their grandma that all you care about is getting Irenicus. You can not care two bits about Imoen, never let her back into your party, tell her these facts, even let her get killed. That's a thing. As I said, the game is semi-linear; I never claimed it's a sandbox. The crit path happens in order, but how you go about it is entirely up to you. ME2 was on rails; the side missions are *literally* a path from the beginning to the end with a couple turns but no deviations and then back to the ship. The original ME that wasn't so; in ME2 it's a direct result of EA limiting the game design from the beginning for console purposes.

I never said I don't regard the games you listed as RPG's. In fact, I've said quite the opposite. Planescape: Torment can be argued to some extent, as it is in many ways a visual novel (800,000 lines of text!) but is also simultaneously truly a ROLE playing game, in that you take on a role and play that role, to such an extent that the combat in PT almost feels tacked on.

Edited by Katarack21

Is this topic still "We need a bunch of non-backers buying this" or suddenly migrated into "Oh my god I love ME3" / "Oh my god I hate ME

Yeah really? Come in to the thread and all you see is chris did this. . I wont do this.. Romance.. ME .. wow.... Breaking bad this...2020.. etc etc etc..

People must be bored haha.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but are you, as they say, "cereal"?

If you have played any Obsidian game, ever, you know that they take the utmost care with their companion npcs and oftentimes they are finely crafted. Not usually faceless, thoughtless goons.

If you are really on the edge on whether to buy the game and the fact that there is no romance in it is swaying you towards not buying it, I think you are doing yourself a massive disservice. I assume you are here because you love or like the idea of IE games returning. That you fondly remember classics like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape:Torment or maybe something Fallout or even something like Temple of Elemental Evil or Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader.

I don't see how whether or not Pillars of Eternity will have romances could possibly affect you in any way, as a fan of any of those games. If you are truly here as a fan, which I'm assuming is the case since the game hasn't even released yet, I frankly don't even begin to understand your thoughtprocess. If you are a fan, you know better than to say something as ridiculous as what you did. You know better than that, come on!

I've played KotOR2 (loved it but felt unfinished) and FONV (loved it but felt cut down to compensate for consoles).  Yeah I liked the characters there, but as those were 1st person 3D games they 'feel' kind of different than this one would.  Staring into Rose's eyes and speaking to her just seems a lot more personal than this games style.  Not sure how it will be to be honest.

But that wasn't my problem.  As I said it was how they responded to questions about romance that turned me off.  It was an attitude that really rubbed me wrong from someone who is supposedly wanting my money.

You can, in fact, not care about Imoen. You can't not go to Spellhold, but you don't have to go there for Imoen. You can tell everybody and their grandma that all you care about is getting Irenicus. You can not care two bits about Imoen, never let her back into your party, tell her these facts, even let her get killed. That's a thing. As I said, the game is semi-linear; I never claimed it's a sandbox. The crit path happens in order, but how you go about it is entirely up to you. ME2 was on rails; the side missions are *literally* a path from the beginning to the end with a couple turns but no deviations and then back to the ship. The original ME that wasn't so; in ME2 it's a direct result of EA limiting the game design from the beginning for console purposes.

I never said I don't regard the games you listed as RPG's. In fact, I've said quite the opposite. Planescape: Torment can be argued to some extent, as it is in many ways a visual novel (800,000 lines of text!) but is also simultaneously truly a ROLE playing game, in that you take on a role and play that role, to such an extent that the combat in PT almost feels tacked on.

So, to sum it up, your comment about "miss only one of those elements and it's not an RPG anymore" is only valid for games you like it to be valid for? Talk about double-standards.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. I'd say 80% of players bought ME:2 and ME:3 for the story and decisions, not the RPG elements. Yes, they were advertised as RPGs, but that was mostly due to Bioware having a "reputation" at that time. In other words, it was a marketing trick. Nobody really considered ME:1 (and thus also ME:2 and ME:3) a "traditional" RPG. It has been and always was a shooter with RPG elements and an interactive (well-written) space-opera.

Even though I consider myself a CRPG fan, I was mostly annoyed by the RPG elements of Mass Effect 1. I wanted to explore the story and characters, not mess around endlessly with the sidequests to raise my character level. I was absolutely pleased to hear that the tedious grinding was gone in ME2. It was just a distraction from the game's main selling point.

Edited by Zwiebelchen
  • Like 2

This is on the front page of Twitch,  a popular general gamer streamer is streaming this right now, so I hope he brings in people that might not normally think about this game!

• Like 1

~Seattle Supersonic of the Obsidian Order~

Chris Hansen is the Savior of Seattle

This is my first post and I thought it'd be an appropriate place to start.

I am loving the renaissance that we're seeing for CRPG's and am thankful that Kickstarter has made that possible. I do hope this game sells well and that non-backers get involved, I'd love to see a wider space open for these types of games, the types that I grew up with. As a non-backer, I've got no problem with the price and I fully plan on paying every last penny as soon as I can afford it. My wife is still in school, but she graduates in May and I anticipate that the buckle will loosen then. This will definitely be my first game purchase when it does. 

So, to sum it up, your comment about "miss only one of those elements and it's not an RPG anymore" is only valid for games you like it to be valid for? Talk about double-standards.

Indeed, talk about "No true Scotsman...", I think we can safely say that Katarack's definition of "What is an RPG" is pretty much specific to Katarack and no-one else. It's certainly not broadly accepted, because RPG is a very wide and all-embracing term in computer games, rather than a very narrow and specific one. Every CRPG I can think of that's actually good at anything sacrifices one area that he highlights in order to succeed in another. What I think is particularly funny, looking at things historically, is this insistence that the ME games are merely "shooters with RPG elements", when pretty much every RPG on the market is some genre of game "with RPG elements" (including the IE series - RTS with RPG elements, Fallout - Turn-based tactical game with RPG elements, then later "shooter with RPG elements", and so on and so forth).

Back on topic, if we want non-backers to buy this, and importantly, to go on and buy the expansion and/or sequels, the main things needed are:

1) For the game to be good fun for people who aren't hardcore Infinity Engine-series fans. Some of them will be people who played the original IE games, and have fond memories of them, but were never "serious" players. Others will never have played them, and just like RPGs in general, whether it's Skyrim or ME or whatever that was their actual entry point.

2) Publicity. Twitch streaming will help, a lot, but word-of-mouth is going to be the killer. If the game is good enough, and accessible enough (which isn't necessarily super-accessible, but accessible enough), then we can happily go around recommending it to every even slight RPG fan we know, which is a hell of a lot more people than backed it or even seem to have heard of it.

I mean, most of my closer friends at least like RPGs - many have played or still play P&P RPGs, for example. Most of them seem to have heard of the new Torment game, but almost none of them seem to be aware of Pillars of Eternity, outright confusing it with Torment, and not knowing anything about it. If the game I get on the 26th is good enough and accessible enough that they'll like it, that's going to change, real soon! If it isn't, though, I will wait until it is - it might be that I have to wait until the party member AI goes in before recommending it to some people, for example. Better that they wait and have a good experience, than get it on release and be pissed off.

• Like 1

lol, all this talk of Icewind Dale not being an RPG. I think your head would explode if you ever looked at the thread on Steam where idiot upon idiot tries to qualify Shadow of Mordor as an RPG. These people were also trying to say Mario Brothers was an RPG because you play the role of an Italian plumber, gotta love people like that.

Edited by Kaldaien

Okay, so what are people actually planning to do to make others buy this game?

Remember to write metacritic reviews. Write Steam reviews. Talk about the game on forums and recommend it to people.

It is only through us that games like this continue to be made, also remember that the sales of this game will decide Obsidian's future prospects of making more games like this. What happens now is at least as important as the Kickstarter campaign.

• Like 3

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

lol, all this talk of Icewind Dale not being an RPG. I think your head would explode if you ever looked at the thread on Steam where idiot upon idiot tries to qualify Shadow of Mordor as an RPG. These people were also trying to say Mario Brothers was an RPG because you play the role of an Italian plumber, gotta love people like that.

IWD was so much fun. I will always have a soft spot for my group of adventurers.

Ah well.