We need a bunch of non-backers buying this

Earning $4 million+ in Kickstarter backing is awesome. A fine thing.

Yet Having PoE sell like a latter day Baldur's Gate 2 would mean we might see more games like it, not to mention an even larger and more in-depth sequel. My motives for wanting PoE to be a huge success are essentially selfish: I want more CRPGs that play like CRPGs used to play like and that can only happen if people are convinced such CRPGs can still sell very well. 

Any suggestions for how to make this happen that don't involve fraud, violence or terrorism? Or at the very least very mild forms of those things, with light prison sentences? 

• Like 1

Any suggestions for how to make this happen that don't involve fraud, violence or terrorism? Or at the very least very mild forms of those things, with light prison sentences? 

Sure.  Obsidian can make an excellent and non-buggy game.

It is entirely their ball to drop.

• Like 2

PoE will not sell 1.5 million copies like BG2 did. But if will have just at least 500 k copies sold like Divinity: Original Sin had, it will be a win.

• Like 1

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

im glad i backed this, DOS and TToN (i also got WL2 for free with that last one)

4 games for the price of 2 and the 2 that i played so far have more "game" in them than all AAA of the last 10 years (that were focused on cinematic experience), with the other 2 expected to be as good

i would recomend to everyone i know to buy it as i would with the rest... if i knew anyone who did not already put his money on the ks for all of them

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

PoE will not sell 1.5 million copies like BG2 did. But if will have just at least 500 k copies sold like Divinity: Original Sin had, it will be a win.

Actually, I'd consider that a failure.  D:OS had a fair amount of people talking it up before release, who then mysteriously vanished when it came out, as did the vast majority of the player-base.

Obsidian has a lot more attention than D;OS ever did for having the salty leavings sequels for two of the big 'RPG' franchises left to the market (for a given value of RPG, but both Bio and Beth have a lot of fanatics).  If they can't get more market attention for their own title than a nearly bankrupt Belgian studio, they've screwed the pooch.

Edited by Voss

I bought PoE though GoG and I'm a non backer.   :thumbsup:

Edited by wolfrider100
  • Like 2

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

Sure.  Obsidian can make an excellent and non-buggy game.

It is entirely their ball to drop.

Yeah, but that's boring. I was thinking something that involves setting girl scouts on fire or something.

Is there a way to get from setting girl scouts on fire to more copies of PoE sold? 

Divinity: Original Sin was already a major success last year, and will have a sequel. It was for many people (me included), the best game of 2014 by a long shot. Wasteland 2 did good too, despite how buggy it was, and how dull it felt near the end.

Pillars of Eternity will only add up, as will Torment: Tales of Numenera. Fret not, the genre is back to stay.

Edited by Emerwyn
  • Like 1

Of course we do. But no one has much of an idea of how much reach this game will actually have. 

I for one predict it will have a "Long Tail" sales forecast, rather than a traditional Day 1 Skyrocket. The game will draw many people through word of mouth, though the trouble of word of mouth is that it can be a mite slower than a massive ad campaign. 

Honestly I think it should do as well as Wasteland 2, though I obviously hope it does as well as Divinity: Original Sin. 

Anyway, everyone here can help by participating in Reddit threads and threads in places far removed from Obsidian and RPG codex that are still popular. 

• Like 2

Earning $4 million+ in Kickstarter backing is awesome. A fine thing.

Yet Having PoE sell like a latter day Baldur's Gate 2 would mean we might see more games like it, not to mention an even larger and more in-depth sequel. My motives for wanting PoE to be a huge success are essentially selfish: I want more CRPGs that play like CRPGs used to play like and that can only happen if people are convinced such CRPGs can still sell very well. 

You are not alone, i want the same thing, i want POE sell a lot.

Yes i know, my english sux.

I think its a lock to outsell D:OS.  Will it get to BG2 numbers?  Maybe not, but it might.

When the game comes out, if you like it, then shout it out.  Amazon reviews, Metacritic, social media, etc.  To the OP, that's what you can do to ensure its success in the market.

I pre-ordered my copy on Steam the other day.

I was WAY late to the party, only stumbling upon this game the end of last year. I am SO happy to see a game like this being made again. My nostalgia level is at an all time high. I am also equally excited to see what new features await us in a throw back game like this being given a modern touch.

I would of backed it had I known when it first hit KS. Lord knows I will back the expansion and PoE2!

Of course we do. But no one has much of an idea of how much reach this game will actually have. 

I for one predict it will have a "Long Tail" sales forecast, rather than a traditional Day 1 Skyrocket. The game will draw many people through word of mouth, though the trouble of word of mouth is that it can be a mite slower than a massive ad campaign. 

Honestly I think it should do as well as Wasteland 2, though I obviously hope it does as well as Divinity: Original Sin. 

Anyway, everyone here can help by participating in Reddit threads and threads in places far removed from Obsidian and RPG codex that are still popular. 

I'm a non-backer as I literally just found out about this game on the 16th of this month. I will definitely be buying a copy. And a copy of Torment when it comes out. I'm also telling my gamer and D&D friends about this and posting to Facebook and Twitter.

Once this game comes out, I'll be posting a lot of information about it on Facebook to try and get my other gaming friends interested in it. If I download it on Steam, you betcha I'll be posting a lot of positive information about this game to the community there, too.

I agree with Havelok, I think there will definitely be a "Long Tail" sales forecast for this game once the people that are already in this community buy the game and spread the word about it with screenshots, videos, streams and reviews. Positive player reviews go a long way in getting people interested in buying a game.

• Like 1