Range superiority is alive and kicking.

I believe it is in, however with the amount of **** going on in combat, over the top spell FX and all the semi-obtuse UI stuff they have going on in combat, it can be hard to notice.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

The stuff-to-feedback ratio is a bit wonky, :)

That's what I was talking about above. Even if it IS in, there's not much to indicate that it is, other than "I paused right after Interrupting someone, and I happened to no longer be engaged by them." 8\

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I"m really worried about the AI...

How often does an enemy use an anti engagement move to go after your caster(s)?

Lol

This is the problem. It has been for 99% of single player games. My hope was that this game was going to be different and introduce some decent AI. It does not seem to be the case. 

POE the story and scenery will be amazing. The combat will be meh.

From what I've seen so far, only caster and ranged mobs have AI that makes them re-acquire targets on the fly while melee AI usually won't unless they somehow lose their current engagement and therefore are free to re-acquire,which can be a pain sometimes, as they turn from your tanks onto your melee DPSers because of it. I usually back off my DPSers, wait for re-acquire on tank, then go back in but it can be tricky sometimes.

That said, the three massive (well on PotD at least) spectres/shades fights in the Soul ruins (whatever that name was, like Noodle Rhamen or something) gives a small indication of how crazy **** would be with enemies re-acquiring targets constantly. These punks really put me in panic mode sometimes though they don't do much damage thankfully.

For me, It fits there because there are ghosts, can teleport (which probably is why they do that, not because of clever AI) and it creates a really unique combat situation but man it's stressful because you can't stabilize the battlefield at all.

• Like 1

From what I've seen so far, only caster and ranged mobs have AI that makes them re-acquire targets on the fly while melee AI usually won't unless they somehow lose their current engagement and therefore are free to re-acquire,which can be a pain sometimes, as they turn from your tanks onto your melee DPSers because of it. I usually back off my DPSers, wait for re-acquire on tank, then go back in but it can be tricky sometimes.

That said, the three massive (well on PotD at least) spectres/shades fights in the Soul ruins (whatever that name was, like Noodle Rhamen or something) gives a small indication of how crazy **** would be with enemies re-acquiring targets constantly. These punks really put me in panic mode sometimes though they don't do much damage thankfully.

For me, It fits there because there are ghosts, can teleport (which probably is why they do that, not because of clever AI) and it creates a really unique combat situation but man it's stressful because you can't stabilize the battlefield at all.

My understanding what that the base AI would switch up targets on certain conditions, forcing you to react to some extent. And engagment was going to be a tool to help manage the battlefield to keep it from going too crazy. With exceptions like enemy barbarians using wild sprint etc. adding layers of complexity. 

But the AI hasn't turned out to be dynamic like this so engagement ends up just being something that prevents movement. And when you do run into mobs that teleport you can't really do anything because everyone is stuck in engagement. 

And when you do run into mobs that teleport you can't really do anything because everyone is stuck in engagement. 

That actually seems kinda interesting to me. I enjoy a good challenge like that.

And from a simulation standpoint, Engagement does make sense to me; Having your blades locked with an enemy is not the best time to back away and turn around unless you got a terrible itch for something sharp to go through your back...

But the AI hasn't turned out to be dynamic like this so engagement ends up just being something that prevents movement. And when you do run into mobs that teleport you can't really do anything because everyone is stuck in engagement.

True about the AI but hopefully that's something that can be improved upon later on, for add-ons and whatnot.

And very, very few mobs are multiple possible engagements, mostly pure tank specs mobs and they don't hurt much. Even on PotD, I disengage characters when I need to though usually I try to CC them beforehand. As someone mentioned, it's very easy to see who is engaging what usually though sometimes you're not sure why :)

Against the ghosts, it's cool as I said because it's limited to these fights and therefore makes it very challenging and unique as it completely throws your polished party tactics and formations out the window. A full dungeon with nothing but these guys however would be exhausting. Though to be honest, on non PotD difficulties, people probably won't even notice it.