Is this game worth it? Backers impression needed

Yes.

(Note that Sharp_one isn't actually a backer and hasn't played the BB. I.e. he doesn't know anything you don't know.)

It tells a lot about the project when fanboys defend it with blatant lies like that.

I saw some first drafts of game magazines reviews and I think they will quickly verify the "quality" of PoE.

as lephys says, it was just said that you never played the game, which is correct i presume?

as everyone us entitled to their opinion it would be better to explain what your issues with the game are and to be honest about you never playing the game.

I mean i didnt play it and it can be that i will be burned but so far, from what i have seen this wont be the case

Wow. Bunch of lazy one-word answers on this thread lol

I'm looking to get the Royal Edition after watching the PAX East 2015 presentation. It looks great on what i saw. But i like some feedbacks from the backers themselves if this game live up to its expectations?

It says a lot already about this game that it has just about lived up to most of its expectations - considering what those expectations actually are. The infinity engine games were cited on day one. Those are humongous expectations. Those were the greatest games ever made IMO. So in that context, a game that 'lives up to expectations' is something you should probably purchase at any cost.

In terms of art, visuals

This is where PoE exceeds the expectations. It looks better than any of the IE games. A lot better. Period. And this isn't fanboyism. I've not seen or heard of a single person, on any forum, who has looked at the IE games, then looked at PoE and came to any conclusion other than: PoE looks more beautiful. Of course, a "hater" will respond to such undeniable fact by simply brushing it aside. You'll hear things like "So what.", "Who cares about visuals.", "I prefer modern 3d." etc.

and contents, are they consistent across locales? Where some locations looks very polished and some locations look very dated, etc.

This is the only unknown at the moment. We've experienced the beta, and it's not enough to answer the question, since it only contains 3 locales. But for what its worth, consistency is there in those 3.

Just wondering if it's safe to pre-order it or just wait for reviews when the game's out? Ya know there's many bad games that relies on hype and marketing to sell games.

Only you would know your financial situation and what constitutes safe. For me, the only reservations I have is with the game's combat, which is less than great (It's just OK), But if I wasn't already a backer, the game's "OK combat" wouldn't be enough to keep me from confidently pre-ordering the game. Everything else we've seen and experienced is quite good, which is more than we can say for 90% of the RPGs coming out today. Edited by Stun

It tells a lot about the project when fanboys defend it with blatant lies like that.

Methinks you're a bit quick with the accusations. Not that it surprises me.

If what I said was incorrect, it was an honest mistake. Have you played the BB? You don't have a badge and I haven't seen you post anything that would indicate that you do, nor did you do so in this thread.

If you were referring to the "doesn't know anything you don't" part, and you do in fact possess some secret inside info, how could I possibly even know about that?

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Wow. Bunch of lazy one-word answers on this thread lol

Yes.

• Like 2

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

From what was presented and current price I have to say no way.

After dozens of patches and dropping the price to at least 1/2 of current one maybe it will be.

I bought the game and im over-hyped, can't wait for the release.

However, this guy has all the rights to give opinions like everyone else

This is where PoE exceeds the expectations. It looks better than any of the IE games. A lot better. Period. And this isn't fanboyism. I've not seen or heard of a single person, on any forum, who has looked at the IE games, then looked at PoE and came to any conclusion other than: PoE looks more beautiful.

And the lies continue:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70418-is-it-me-or-baldurs-gate-look-better-than-poe/

I hate to be a nitpicker (ok that IS a lie. I love being a nitpicker) but the guy you linked us to is commenting on the stream of the game, not the game. And he even points this distinction out, citing that first tech demo he saw, which he thought was beautiful, and then saying that the latest stream looked ugly and bland by comparison. Edited by Stun

The last time I saw the game, I thought it had impressive graphics, but not jump out of my seat graphics. I loved the music and I enjoyed the combat. However, I have *seen* screenies and concept art that's stunning.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

In terms of art, visuals

This is where PoE exceeds the expectations. It looks better than any of the IE games. A lot better. Period. And this isn't fanboyism. I've not seen or heard of a single person, on any forum, who has looked at the IE games, then looked at PoE and came to any conclusion other than: PoE looks more beautiful.

And the lies continue:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70418-is-it-me-or-baldurs-gate-look-better-than-poe/

While I think that Stun's post is full of hyperbole, gauging whether or not something looks better than another is a rather subjective thing.  However, I think that the generally accepted opinion of the game is that it looks great and is fairly stunning.

If we can't at least agree on that, then I don't think we'll meet anywhere in the middle.

And the lies continue:

I hate to be a nitpicker (ok that IS a lie. I love being a nitpicker) but the guy you linked us to is commenting on the stream of the game, not the game. And he even points this distinction out, citing that first tech demo he saw, which he thought was beautiful, and then saying that the latest stream looked ugly and bland by comparison.

we will happily nitpick your nitpick. arguably, the link were to a thread. is the first post o' a thread, so given the genesis post criticism and your admitted nitpick, we think it is fair look at the thread entire given your own generalization:   "I've not seen or heard of a single person, on any forum."  is not difficult to read a few o' the posts in that thread and find a few folks that is critical o' poe art or who is specific finding individual ie games to have had superior art than the beta.  

now, to perhaps give stun an out, your ignorance is not necessarily a lie.  stun did not post in the aforementioned thread, so is possible that this is the first time he has seen... so no lie. is also possible that stun hasn't seen, or at least don't recall, the dozen or so threads over the past nineish (?) months since the beta were released wherein similar observations were made. ignorance don't make a person a liar.

even so, am thinking it is clear that stun's generalization were erroneous.  most criticisms o' poe art we has seen is unwarranted, but that don't change the fact that many folks has expressed concerns about poe art when held up to the ie games standards.  even Gromnir has noted that given the admitted limited locations we has seen in the beta, we preferred many o' the hand-painted maps/tiles from iwd compared to anything we saw in the beta.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yes I am and yes I played. I would think that participating in discussions and having an opinion on the beta would tell that much.

I was just curious. I was confused by the "blatant." You have no forum badges, and I don't exactly track all your posting activity (nor do most people, I'm sure), so it wasn't exactly blatant. However, the lies are indeed lies. I'm still not sure how they constitute fanboy-ism, rather than simple incorrectness.

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

You can't lie without intent. You can, however, be wrong. This is a condition to which I have accustomed myself.

Anyhow, the point should be the game and folks' views on that, not on each other. We can't sing Kumbaya around a campfire if we're calling each other liars and whatnot.

It seems clear that there is no universal agreement on anything about this game. ...Or any game. Any part of a game. If we had a universal agreement moment, I would know then and there I'd entered Twilight Zone territory. ...But, yeah, try to bash the game and not each other. On the other hand, you can praise both the game and each other in equal measure.

• Like 3

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm looking to get the Royal Edition after watching the PAX East 2015 presentation. It looks great on what i saw. But i like some feedbacks from the backers themselves if this game live up to its expectations? In terms of art, visuals and contents, are they consistent across locales? Where some locations looks very polished and some locations look very dated, etc. Just wondering if it's safe to pre-order it or just wait for reviews when the game's out? Ya know there's many bad games that relies on hype and marketing to sell games.

Technically I backed the product before I came back to Obsidian. So, yeah! I may be biased.

• Like 9

I'm looking to get the Royal Edition after watching the PAX East 2015 presentation. It looks great on what i saw. But i like some feedbacks from the backers themselves if this game live up to its expectations? In terms of art, visuals and contents, are they consistent across locales? Where some locations looks very polished and some locations look very dated, etc. Just wondering if it's safe to pre-order it or just wait for reviews when the game's out? Ya know there's many bad games that relies on hype and marketing to sell games.

Technically I backed the product before I came back to Obsidian. So, yeah! I may be biased.

But only maybe.

t50aJUd.jpg