Is this game worth it? Backers impression needed

One cannot possibly know whether the game will match your personal tastes or not Archaven, I would personally wait for unbiased, non game journalist reviews, and bide your time. The game will only grow more stable after first contact with the audience, because there will of course be bugs to squash as this is a big complex RPG, patches and the expansion may also add more content, optimised features and such.

Wait and see seems to be the best advice I could offer.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'd have to know more about what games you prefer in order to recommend it to you, but if you've played and liked any of the isometric games that use the Infinity Engine (Baldur's Gate I&II, Icewind Dale I&II, Planescape: Torment), or even other isometric RPGs like Fallout & Fallout 2, Arcanum, if you've liked the recent Divinity: Original Sin or Wasteland 2, you will certainly spend your money right if you spend it on PoE.

Edited by Gairnulf

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

I'm looking to get the Royal Edition after watching the PAX East 2015 presentation. It looks great on what i saw. But i like some feedbacks from the backers themselves if this game live up to its expectations? In terms of art, visuals and contents, are they consistent across locales? Where some locations looks very polished and some locations look very dated, etc. Just wondering if it's safe to pre-order it or just wait for reviews when the game's out? Ya know there's many bad games that relies on hype and marketing to sell games.

if you haven't purchased yet, then wait.  

*shrug*

the folks on these boards is less than objective.  as a group, we is already emotionally and monetarily invested in poe. don't trust us-- not a single one o' us.

it never hurts to wait.  the longer you wait, the better.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm looking to get the Royal Edition after watching the PAX East 2015 presentation. It looks great on what i saw. But i like some feedbacks from the backers themselves if this game live up to its expectations? In terms of art, visuals and contents, are they consistent across locales? Where some locations looks very polished and some locations look very dated, etc. Just wondering if it's safe to pre-order it or just wait for reviews when the game's out? Ya know there's many bad games that relies on hype and marketing to sell games.

Backers are terrible people to ask.  They're already invested in the game being good... regardless of whether it actually is or not. Wait til it comes out and listen to people who don't have an oar in the water, and, more importantly, watch some of the gameplay yourself.

If you'd asked about backing the game, I might have said, "sure.  Why not?  If you like obsidian games and want to take a chance on them, you should."  Since you didn't back at the time, I have a different suggestion.  Get the game when you've got a reasonable amount of confidence that you'll enjoy it.  If you have a great time playing it, consider backing the next Obsidian project.  At least, that's my 'split the baby' suggestion.

Sadly, although I anticipate greatly enjoying the game, I can't endorse something I haven't played yet.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Is this game worth it ... depends ... if mature subject matter and frightening, tragic events make you sleep with the lights on, like me, then it probably is. 

Cruel Salvation: tens of thousands of children, an entire generation, were born without souls. Animancers devised a way to bind the spirit essence of animals into these Hollowborn (can you see where this is going) ... successfully. For a time. "When the first of the Saved children grew to puberty, the curse of Waidwen's Legacy once more reared its head. An orlan girl came of age, and over a span of several weeks transformed into a ravenous monster. Her mouth split open to accommodate fangs that pushed through her gums, her skin took a ghastly pallor, and she skulked about with feral hunger. The family attempted to hide the abomination, until she butchered them all in their beds and escaped into the wilderness."

Lights. On. 

Cant EDIT:  put in spoiler tags.

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Is this game worth it ... depends ... if mature subject matter and frightening, tragic events make you sleep with the lights on, like me, then it probably is. 

Cruel Salvation: tens of thousands of children, an entire generation, were born without souls. Animancers devised a way to bind the spirit essence of animals into these Hollowborn (can you see where this is going) ... successfully. For a time. "When the first of the Saved children grew to puberty, the curse of Waidwen's Legacy once more reared its head. An orlan girl came of age, and over a span of several weeks transformed into a ravenous monster. Her mouth split open to accommodate fangs that pushed through her gums, her skin took a ghastly pallor, and she skulked about with feral hunger. The family attempted to hide the abomination, until she butchered them all in their beds and escaped into the wilderness."

Lights. On.

where's this on? i scoured the wiki for information, and didn't find things like this. maybe i don't try well enough

Cant EDIT: put in spoiler tags.

There's more, check this.

In 2704 AI, an animancer working from the remote community north of Bael Marsh enlisted the help of a dozen local farmhands. He was attempting to bridge souls together for the purposes of long-range communication. Using the magnetic energy of what he dubbed a "spirit band," he instructed the circle of volunteers to back away from each other across an open field in order to test the limitations of the technology.

Early results were promising, as several of the volunteers were able to hear each other whisper across a mile-long diameter. An older woman among them complained of pressure building behind her eyes. Eventually the others felt it too. Before anyone thought to stop moving, the invisible tether binding them together snapped.

The volunteers dropped where they stood, dead but for their bodies that lived out of habit. Everyone for a hundred miles heard the bloodcurdling shriek of a dozen souls shattering at once. 

Completely dead, or undead?! Oh, god!

Cant EDIT:  put in spoiler tags.

All Stop. On Screen.

I think the spoilers that my ISO friend put in aren't all that big of a deal, but this is a non-spoiler forum.  I'll ask the mod squad about this, but please put spoiler tags on anything you get out of the lore guide.  Many thanks.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

where's this on? i scoured the wiki for information, and didn't find things like this. maybe i don't try well enough

It's from a new book, the Pillars of Eternity Guidebook Volume I. The monster is a Wicht. There is some effed up events gone down in the game world.

Yes, sorry, all quotes are historical events, not in-game spoilers.  

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

Lights. On. 

Meh.  Soul Manipulation stories always make me roll my eyes and snicker, and feral is just what I naturally expect as the default state of anything under 16.

Edited by Voss

Lights. On.

...feral is just what I naturally expect as the default state of anything under 16.

Okay, you jaded bastard, that actually made me laugh out loud. I actually think the soul concept could be great. It's kind of like when someone tells you an idea for a story. It might sound good, but you still gotta make it happen.

Obsidian Plays

Lights. On. 

Meh.  Soul Manipulation stories always make me roll my eyes and snicker, and feral is just what I naturally expect as the default state of anything under 16.

context and delivery make all the difference.

phillip pullman actual did a marvelous job with soul manipulation, though we will observe he wrote children's books.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I feel blessed to have an editor. First time ever. #yolo #PillarsofEternity  :shifty:

Seriously, though, I am plenty disturbed about that wicht monster. Pretty sure the description is in the wiki, but none of the horror. 

*Yes, here it is, see, none of the terror. Well, a little bit. 

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64300-update-62-production-01-state-of-the-project/

Edited by ManifestedISO
  • Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

When you asked this question on a pillars of eternity message board..What did u expect us to say no..Mind blowing some times hehe..Than again we are honest people right, the answer is yes if you look at angry joe an others...They give it a good call an say its worth it..The beta last update looks fantastic, thats just the beta

Lights. On. 

OK, that scene always just makes me laugh out loud.

For this, I'm more concerned it is going to follow the trail blazed by BG2 and Irenicus, with ridiculous nonsense inexplicably involving large jars and no coherence with the setting or solving the problem at hand. 

[The D&D solution to Irenicus' problem was quite simple: cast polymorph on himself.  Eventually he'd blow the saving throw and permanently become an elf again. Or... yanno, cast wish]

Edited by Voss

Lights. On. 

OK, that scene always just makes me laugh out loud.

For this, I'm more concerned it is going to follow the trail blazed by BG2 and Irenicus, with ridiculous nonsense inexplicably involving large jars and no coherence with the setting or solving the problem at hand. 

[The D&D solution to Irenicus' problem was quite simple: cast polymorph on himself.  Eventually he'd blow the saving throw and permanently become an elf again. Or... yanno, cast wish]

one suspects that overcoming a god's penance is a wee bit more complicated.

HA! Good Fun!

Да!

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

I  never played the Beta but I am constantly picking at the Beta bugs section (Which apparently has less spoilers than this section of the forum) and I must say that it seems like the last version of the Beta isn't polished enough.

Some bugs still don't look forgivable and I hope that they will be fixed on the final version (killed NPC resurrected after save and load?? really??).

It might not be such a common phenomena and bother only a small part of the systems out there but I would advise you to wait for a short while until after the release to make sure that the big issues are patched and fixed and then buy it.

Edited by barakav

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!