Difference in hard drive usage between Steam and GOG

I looked at Pillars of Eternity system requirements at both Steam and Gog and discovered that the required free space on a hard drive differs by 6 GB (20 GB on Steam vs 14 GB on GOG). I wanted to ask why there is this difference - if anything, I would expect the GOG version to need more space (since you need to store both the installer and the actual game, unlike Steam which downloads the game's files directly).

I wanted to ask if anyone knows where the extra 6 GB went?

I believe it's just that the GOG one is more up to date.

Before Obsidian was entirely sure about the system requirements one approximation was put up and many sites picked that up as official.

The 20GB come from that, now it's actually closer to said 14GB.

IIRC, so if I remembered it wrong someone correct me.

• Like 1

For one, installer size is never counted in these requirements, so GOG and Steam announced sizes should be roughly equal.

I’d guess one of the two sites just made a mistake in the requirements.

I’d be wildly surprised to see the Steam version bundling ~6GB of exclusive stuff.

-----

EDIT: Quadrone hypothesis sounds legit.

Edited by vv221

Another thing to keep in mind with Steam is you have to install all the Steam software just to install the game.  And in more then a few cases you have to be actively logged onto Steam or a game won't even run.  Some of the many things I dislike about Steam.

Edited by Suhiir

Don't care how big it is. This game is going onto the solid state drive. 

Enjoy your loading times.

Q_Q

I LOVE my solid state drive, one of the best investments I ever made.

Edited by Suhiir
  • Like 1

I'm 800% jelly on anyone with a SSD.

Don't care how big it is. This game is going onto the solid state drive. 

Enjoy your loading times.

Q_Q

I LOVE my solid state drive, one of the best investments I ever made.

Yeah, one of the few items on my computer that was actually worth paying a ridiculous price to upgrade for.

Edited by Bryy
  • Like 1

Is that 14 GB on my hard drive at the end of the installation, or 14GB that my pitiful and horribly capped internet connection has to download?

The first is A OK, the second... well it might not matter too much because I'll spend the rest of my month playing PoE with the modem turned off I guess.

Is that 14 GB on my hard drive at the end of the installation, or 14GB that my pitiful and horribly capped internet connection has to download?

The first is A OK, the second... well it might not matter too much because I'll spend the rest of my month playing PoE with the modem turned off I guess.

I would expect that the listed 14 GB is the installation size, but I would not bet on the download size to be a lot smaller. It's hard to tell.

t50aJUd.jpg

I'm 800% jelly on anyone with a SSD.

One of my laptops has a 1TB 5,400 drive and the other has one 160GB SSD and one 120GB SSD, one for Windows and the other for Linux, and it's amazing how much it helps (I don't think I'd ever go back to a regular drive for boot).

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot