Everything looks cool, but where is bard?

How can you be hating on the Chanter? They get to summon Skeletons, Phantoms, Blights, Trolls, and friggen DRAKES!

"Did I just hear you correctly Menace, you said...Drakes"?

Truly UNCHARTED territory.

Nathan and I share surnames but not given names. I don't even mind having a rapper named after me, either ... I understand he's Canadian and an intellectual. 

As to where bard is, Bard the Bowman, Man of Laketown, Slayer of Smaug, available March 24. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Anyone knows why they recomend constitution?

For Chanter?

That's probably because they will be mostly used in melee or mid-range. Their chants doesn't cover the entire battlefield, if you want to use the debuff phrases on enemies you need to be in melee.

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Yeah, "tank chanters" are popularish because of the way armour mechanics work in this game. Chanters inherently lack endurance and health, though, so maybe the recommendation is to patch that up?

Then again, the way constitution works, they don't actually gain a huge amount from boosting it like a monk or a barbarian does, but... eh. Six-a-one, half-a-dozen-of-the-other, y'know?

Edited by Tamerlane
jcod0.png

By subclasses, do you mean dual/multiclassing or kit classes? In regards to the dual/multis, I think one of the strengths of Pillars' system is that they aren't really necessary. Want to make a wizard that can wear armor and use axes? Boom, you can, instant fighter/mage. One of the main reasons for me to take the multi classes was to get around arbitrary item restrictions, which were probably there for balance purposes. I like how certain choices can be less ideal in Pillars, by slowing action times, lowering defenses, etc. but aren't simply not allowed, like a wizard not knowing how to hold or use an axe.

I never saw what bardish was about DnD games bards, apart that they got some musical instruments. They were just spellcasters as the rest spellcasters. Chanters look much more like bards with their chants and their music staves... Brilliant.

That's the only thing I can think of too, yeah, chanters doesn't appear to be the musical instruments guy (at least not represented mechanically), so if one really wants to play a keytar, I guess you're SOL.

t50aJUd.jpg

The best Bard was the AD&D bard: the original prestige class.

One of the weirdest and most non-sensical things every dreamed up by D&D. They are Bards not an elite ninja squad.  Actually an elite ninja squad would be intimidated by the requirements.

I mean by the time you became a 1st level bard you were already the greatest hero in the land.

Edited by Valmy

By sub-classes i didnt mean multi class but as someone said here "priests of different gods"; mage = necro, illusionist etc.Bard was jack of all trades, one sub-class was more melee (jester?) while vanilla bard seemed to be more casting char.

So this chanter will have more summoning power than mage?

By sub-classes i didnt mean multi class but as someone said here "priests of different gods"; mage = necro, illusionist etc.Bard was jack of all trades, one sub-class was more melee (jester?) while vanilla bard seemed to be more casting char.

So this chanter will have more summoning power than mage?

I gotcha.  I'd check out the wiki here if you want to learn more about the abilities of each of the different classes.  http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Pillars_of_Eternity_Wiki

You could view the different abilities and talents you can take for each class as essentially creating the sub classes you describe.  However, instead of being rigid right at the start, you can choose to specialize as you level up.  I think this helps you become more informed as to what abilities will be fun for you.  

For example, if you played BG1EE you could choose a Paladin subclass called the Cavalier, which had bonuses to hitting dragons and demons as well as some other tweaks, but couldn't use missile weapons.  This sounds pretty awesome, but a new player wouldn't know that there are no dragons and demons until the second game, and missile weapons are more important when low level.  By choosing your specializations as you level, you get more flexibility and some feedback as to what you'll want.  Also no arbitrary limitations for the sake of bonuses.

• Like 1

The chanter in POE reminds me a bit of the Bard in Vanguard (now dead MMO) - could create your own songs(buff,debuff,utility or all 3 together!) and they were good at combat..was a really fun class, memories.

Edited by Azureblaze
  • Like 1