Everything looks cool, but where is bard?

Hi!!!

Game looks great, it's really like Icewind Dale on visual steroids (portraits are still better in ID) but where the hell is bard class?

I dont like this chanter class, bard and his songs = that was great combination and fun too.

What i love about ID are sub-classes. Are there any sub-classes in  PoE? 

Sorry that you don't like the chanter. It is one of my favorite classes. I feel that they are the closest analog to bards in terms of roleplaying. They are also pretty good at supporting the party around them with their chants.

There are no sub-classes in Pillars and no plans for any at this time.

• Like 7

Hi!!!

Game looks great, it's really like Icewind Dale on visual steroids (portraits are still better in ID) but where the hell is bard class?

I dont like this chanter class, bard and his songs = that was great combination and fun too.

The Chanter is the "Bard" class. If you don't mind me asking, why don't you like the Chanter? I can't really think of anything the IE Bard did that isn't fulfilled by the Chanter, except pickpocketing, but there's no pickpocketing in PoE.

There are no subclasses? What about the Priests of the different Gods and the Paladins of the different orders? There seem to be some subclasses.

Those aren't really subclasses. They don't alter any of the key characteristics of the class(es). It's primarily roleplay with some impact on what Class Talents you can pick. Priests don't even get deity-specific spells and there's no order-specific abilities for Paladins. Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 4

t50aJUd.jpg

If what you love about Icewind Dale is sub-classes, portraits and bards, that differs from chanters in PoE, then tough luck buddy. I would recommend you to play it anyways, you might be pleasantly surprised. :)

Whereas the IE bard was fairly useless (especially in combat), the PoE chanter is one of the better classes, hands down.

• Like 3

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Whereas the IE bard was fairly useless (especially in combat), the PoE chanter is one of the better classes, hands down.

Yeah, the Chanter has been one of the mainstays when it comes to being good and fun to play, and I never understood why people liked bards - other than roleplaying - in the IE games anyway. They're either terrible or boring. :|

• Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

There are no subclasses? What about the Priests of the different Gods and the Paladins of the different orders? There seem to be some subclasses.

that's what i was thinking about. Mages = necros, conjurers....rangers=beastmasters,archers..thieves=assassins,rogues and so on 

Well from what i saw on youtube, these chants are pretty hard to use during combat. In ID  i clicked on song and it lasted whole combat, while now it's really hard to use some of the spells. Are there any passive auras from chants that last long?

Don't get me wrong, i really like what i see, at last some hc rpg game ;) 

Chants are passive auras that last whole fight, although mechanic behind them is bit more complex than what bards songs were, as you can create your own chants by making chains of phrases that give different effects for your aura, and each pharse has timer that adds up chanters chant counter, chanter has, addition to chants, invocations which they can cast with power that they gained from their chanting (aka chant counter, different invocations cost different amount from chant counter starting from 3). Invocations work in similar role as bards' per rest spells that they had in IE games (and in D&D at general).

Edited by Elerond

From where I'm at, the Chanter has the (A)D&D bard beat, hands-down. 

That said, IMO that's not a very high bar to clear. I love the concept but the (A)D&D execution never really felt right to me. The best D&D bard IMO was in NWN2, and that was way different from the standard D&D3 one.

Edited by PrimeJunta

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

That said, IMO that's not a very high bar to clear. I love the concept but the (A)D&D execution never really felt right to me. The best D&D bard IMO was in NWN2, and that was way different from the standard D&D3 one.

NWN2 bards, oh my, did they rock...

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

You can probably use IWD protraits in PoE and if you then just pretend the chanter is called 'bard', you 'll almost be there. Anyone knows how we can pretend there are subclasses in this game?

The New 5e bards are actually  good, full fledged casters with cool roll-manipulation mechanics and even a melee path.

• Like 1

Hi!!!

Are you talking about Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition? Because I don't recall there being any subclasses or kits in the original Icewind Dale (as, IIRC, it came out before BG2 which was the first to have kits).  I think ID:EE though ports over the kits from BG2 into ID.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The New 5e bards are actually  good, full fledged casters with cool roll-manipulation mechanics and even a melee path.

5e bards are arguably the strongest class in the game. Whether or not they qualify as well-designed is a matter of perspective..

• Like 2
jcod0.png

How can you be hating on the Chanter? They get to summon Skeletons, Phantoms, Blights, Trolls, and friggen DRAKES!

"Did I just hear you correctly Menace, you said...Drakes"?

Yes...

Imagine...6 x Chanter Party.

6 Drakes

or

12 Trolls.

Your move bro. 

Edited by TrueMenace

Calibrating...

Chanters in pillars are more like Norse skalds, doesn't get much better than that. Very nice from a role playing point of view, and they are also pretty fun to play in combat.

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Like everyone has already said, chanters are like bards... mixed with Dovakin.

Get the "Waves Crashed" invocation and tell me that isn't Unrelenting Force.

They are capable of survivng in an off-tank fashion in melee (which is valuable for building up to invocations), and when at range they have an excellent chant that boosts ranged attack speed significantly. They are the most flexible class no matter how you build them, and their summons are always useful. The phantom, for example, deals cold damage and stuns on hit. There is no weapon with that ability, no character you create will be able to stun on every hit.

Unfortunately, since Thrice She Was Wronged was nerfed, their damage dealing capabilities are laughable. At this point, their summons contribute more damage than any of their offensive invocations, and they do have several buffs and debuffs within their invocation pool, but due to limited applicability they will still be best served as a summoner class.

How can you be hating on the Chanter? They get to summon Skeletons, Phantoms, Blights, Trolls, and friggen DRAKES!

Yes...

Imagine...6 x Chanter Party.

6 Drakes

or

12 Trolls.

Your move bro. 

Do-not-feed-the-troll-03.jpg

Feed the Drakes instead!

drake-2.png

• Like 1

Truly UNCHARTED territory.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man