Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Multiplayer in expansion?

multiplayer expansion addon

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Vlaid

Vlaid

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

It makes me sad when people can't even imagine how multiplayer would work in a game like this when they used to be pioneers of what multiplayer play was.

You need only look to games like Neverwinter Nights to see how singleplayer RPGs like these can shine when you add in player control via toolsets, self run servers with in game DMs and admins. You can essentially create an entire custom world with your own rulesets (such as enforced roleplay, death rules even perma death from pvp if you so choose).

I wish more people still remembered the roleplay servers (the top quality ones of which some are still running) of Neverwinter Nights Persistent World story servers. That is still what I am hoping to see out of the resurgence of these kind of top down party RPGs.

• Bryy and Einherjer like this

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9162 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

The only time I tried MP in this type of game was Icewind Dale, I think. Someone I knew online ... it went something like this:

::We ran around a bit

::First combat encounter, friend paused the game (which paused everything for me too). Repeatedly, like he was in single-player. :lol:

I figured that habit was going to be hard to break so we didn't repeat the attempt. Heh.

But yeah ... the era of mass persistent MMO's or at least limited size grouping games like Diablo or FPS are what most people think of when "multiplayer" is mentioned, now. Which is why I think there's often such a negative response. But there was a time when multiplayer was a bit different in concept.

Voss

Voss

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 760 posts
But still bad. I'd hate to see real resources burnt on jamming in multiplayer
  • Kiya likes this

Bryy

Bryy

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 2748 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I love how people always assume devs are ****ing idiots when something they don't want is brought up, but treat them like unfailable Gods when they something they want is brought up.

Aramed

Aramed

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Multiplayer in NWN2 was ok, but me and my friend got kinda bored. Co-op just doesn't mix right with the story telling and adventure. It was kinda fun, but I liked it better single player.

Zazzaro

Zazzaro

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Is this something modders can work on instead? I was excited that Divinity OS had multiplayer and was trying to get a friend to get the game so we could co-op but after starting the game and playing through it I am so glad that didn't happen. Syncing up our schedules to play a 70+ hour RPG would have been a nightmare and pissed me off something fierce when I would of had a few hours to play only to be shut down because my partner couldn't. More options and ways to play a game are never bad though, so again is this something that modders can maybe figure out and implement?

Edited by Zazzaro, 23 March 2015 - 08:19 PM.

Voss

Voss

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 760 posts

I love how people always assume devs are ****ing idiots when something they don't want is brought up, but treat them like unfailable Gods when they something they want is brought up.

Unfair.  I think they're idiots all the time.  I'm terribly disturbed if I've ever conveyed the idea that Sawyer and Company are unfallible gods.  Especially since I've outright stated my disappointment in most Obsidian games, and feel big chunks of this game are terrible design fails that even a starting game designer wouldn't have botched with a little research into the basics of game design, especially when cribbing from established franchises.

But I don't see the relevance...  I'm talking about resources, not dev idiocy (except their idiocy in setting resources on fire, I guess).  I know D:OS would have been a much better game if they hadn't burned a ****ton of cash putting MP in. 

Edited by Voss, 23 March 2015 - 08:45 PM.

Rostere

Rostere

Illuminatus of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1084 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

IMO Obsidian should add MP in an expansion.

I have never enjoyed the IE games in multiplayer, but since they had MP it would be fair to consider it for PoE as well. I think MP can be added fairly easily "on top" without breaking the experience for others in any way.

Bryy

Bryy

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 2748 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

How do you "know"?

That was the game they set out to make.

Voss

Voss

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 760 posts

How do you "know"?

That was the game they set out to make.

Yes?  Yes it was.  Having a goal does not mean the goal is worthwhile.  More time and effort into the skill system and a greater variety of effects could hardly have been worse than the bizarre masturbatory aid that their system turned into.

Edited by Voss, 23 March 2015 - 08:50 PM.

splintex

splintex

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I know there are a bunch of threads on here about multiplayer, and it's not the type of game that they were writing etc, etc.

Can I start (or continue in this case)  to say that I'm glad they've made this game they way they have, I'm glad I could help make this game by crowd funding support on kickstarter, and I'm really pleased with what I've played on the beta.

Going on from the wonderful single player experience I've had so far, some of my fondest memories of the old IE games were playing through them with the same character party with a friend. 3 Characters each, made the micromanagement of battles so much better, and we gre attached to these characters, all the way through BG1 BG2 and their expansions.  I can say without a shadow of a doubt that playing through those games as a team with the same characters was the most fun I've had in a co-operative gaming scenario across any genre.

If we can't see a way forward with co-op from Obsidian, so be it, I'm not here to berate anyone, it was never what I funded (even if I secretly hoped) but if there is anyway this can be implemented via mods then so be it.  

That's my 10c worth, I'm sure there are people who would love to see this come out as an expansion, and who knows, maybe outside of the kick-starter this is going to be the success I hope it is, and re-ignites peoples love of the genre and introduces new and younger people to this style of game.

Also, well done Obsidian, thanks for this game, thank you to tthe people who work there who have been involved so heavily in some of my fondest memories from gaming history, and if someone has a little bit of time somewhere, try and crowd fund a multiplayer expansion. I'm sure you'd get enough money for 1 persons salary for a year or so :)

Bryy

Bryy

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 2748 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Not liking it doesn't give you some magical insight into what they "should have done" or what would have made the game better.

Havelok

Havelok

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm perfectly fine with them never implementing multiplayer. I personally can't become immersed in an RPG while playing with a friend. They always ruin the narrative or get impatient.

This is coming from a long time GM of tabletop rp games.  I understand the value of group play, but it just doesn't work in videogames if you want to be invested in the story. 

.Leif.

.Leif.

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I love what Obsidian has made in the past, I loved playing the backer-beta, I trust their judgement. I think perhaps down the line if they get some money from Paradox or if they have another record-breaking kickstarter MP might get added in but until the Eternity series is establshed as a real bread-winner for the stuido putting in MP could be a real gamble. I think if there was a hypothetical PoE 2 or 3 we could perhaps start expecting MP but until then I think we should just keep wishing we could play this with friends.

Heijoushin

Heijoushin

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1323 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Please no, please no multiplayer *sobs*. I know some people like it and I have no problem with that, but these days there are loads of games going in that direction (with lots of great series going MMORPG) so how about we keep PoE pure and single-player?

• .Leif., Idara and sundevil619 like this

splintex

splintex

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Please no, please no multiplayer *sobs*. I know some people like it and I have no problem with that, but these days there are loads of games going in that direction (with lots of great series going MMORPG) so how about we keep PoE pure and single-player?

Just curious, do you feel that it would change the game somehow?  All I would like to see is the ability for someone else to take control of party members, have the choice of which is the lead character to initiate dialogue, and that is it, I don't want some awful PvP/MMORPG homunculous, I feel that is what people immediately think when someone mentions multiplayer.

I just want to be able to share the story with someone. No bells, no whistles, just offload some of the character management to an extra pair of hands.

• Einherjer and Harkerone like this

Rostere

Rostere

• Members
  • 1084 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah. If you ever played MP in the IE games, you'd know it was just "tacked on" - it didn't change they game in any way, except that other players could control some characters. Doesn't sound hard to implement to me.

• .Leif. likes this

Yellow Rabbit

Yellow Rabbit

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 206 posts

No way. Expansion is, you know, an expansion. Additional content for the game. Writing network code and hooking it to the engine* doesn't really fit under expansion thing and going to cost a lot of programming and debugging time among other things. Maybe in a sequel. Maybe. Wouldn't hold breath, though.

*I'm assuming devs threw all Unity's default networking out as PoE was intended to be strictly SP.

Rostere

Rostere

• Members
  • 1084 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

No way. Expansion is, you know, an expansion. Additional content for the game. Writing network code and hooking it to the engine* doesn't really fit under expansion thing and going to cost a lot of programming and debugging time among other things. Maybe in a sequel. Maybe. Wouldn't hold breath, though.

*I'm assuming devs threw all Unity's default networking out as PoE was intended to be strictly SP.

I don't want MP myself, I just want Obsidian to do whatever they need to cash in to make other stuff that I like. Since MP does not force a compromise with the stuff I like, I am for MP.

Emerwyn

Emerwyn

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 154 posts

I understand that PoE is single player, and I'm quite fine with it because at least the first playthrough I'd have done it as single player to play my way and take my time with everything I feel like, but I don't get what's so hard to grasp for some people in this thread about the possibility of PoE being multiplayer just to have fun with some buddies.

It doesn't require too much brainstorming to figure out how multiplayer could be successfully implemented and the appeal it could have.

Example 1: Each of my friends plays one character, and the combat doesn't need to be paused, it all plays in real time. That makes aiming spells dangerous and exciting, yes. I could see myself having quite a few laughs over it with my buddies after one of them blows another up.

Example 2: The game implements a menu where each player can assume control of certain number of characters simply by sliding them under their player name (for example, if 2 people are playing, each can control 3 characters) and that's the characters they can control in any combat situation, or give orders to while the game is paused.

For conversations and everything else they can talk it over ts or mumble or whatever, and take decisions together, decide what's best for the party, or do rock paper scissors with every decision in the game, I don't know. The point is, we're in 2015. I don't know any single gamer that doesn't use some kind of voice communication on daily basis to play with their friends. You don't need to be so obtuse and narrow about some concepts that have been around for over 10 years.

Edited by Emerwyn, 23 March 2015 - 10:50 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: multiplayer, expansion, addon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users