Hy Folks

I know that multiplayer was discussed and discarded for the main game, BUT is there a possibility that it's gone get implemented later on? as a DLC or in a expansion?

It's just, that like in the Pen and Paper games, its more fun to play in a group of actual Players. We (3 friends and I) loved doing our BG2 runs as a group over the tcp ip session, sitting in the same room, drinking, smoking and having a fun Role-playing Weekend.

I think this would give the game an enorm boost community-wise

ps: thanks for responding ;)

greez :D

• Like 1

Man could you still swing that 14 years later? Anyway nothing about the expansions has been said thus far and the team is super busy right now since the game is about to be released. You might want to hold onto this question for a month or so and try again.

yeeh why not some spaceships, let our souls drift in the vast space of the universe :p

but uhm it wouldn't be thaaat hard to implement a solution that still lets you play the game as it is (story wise with main PC) but give the others the possibility to press pause and assign commands to "their" characters... and jae, maybe commbat would need to be a bit slower (or per default in multiplayer mode, if combat starts, slowmotion's active)

don't get me wrong, it's absolutely clear that this is not gona happen for the basegame ;) (if I remember right, josh said somthing about to timeconsuming and no real idea how to implement)

My question is because each friend i told about PoE, the first question was: Yehaaa, when are we gone do some new adventure-weekends... and the moment i told them that PoE didn't gone have multiplayer they 1. couldn't understand the reasons and 2. lost complete interest in the Game as playing alone at home lost interest in our teen ages... and now as a group of "adults" (*joke allert*), if we play computergames, it's more of a social thing.

Like i said, it would give a huge boost to a Pen & Paper feel...

but pleeeeeease: never make a MMORPG out of it, but a nice multiplayer for a home network :dancing:

Edited by gnoemli
  • Like 1

Well, NWN has a network architecture that allows you to build you own micro MMOs, there are some pretty active servers for that. While I would only want to play official campaigns in single player, it really depends on the quality of the workshops or modding kits released that would boost demand for multiplayer at that level.

Though I've dipped my toes into NWN2 multi player, I am a single RPGer at heart.

While I can understand this would be a very cool feature for people who know a bunch of other people they can* play this with, the vast majority will not want/be able to play this with others. Adding a whole new dimension to the game that is not going to be used a lot by the majority of its players just isn't very cost effective, me thinks... (and it probably is a pretty expensive one to get right).

* so these people need to be able to play regurarly, at the same time as yourself, need to be cool/nice people/ need to want the play the game the same way as you do... you wouldn't be able to play this game with randoms as in an MMO

Edited by Rhaeg

I cant' even imagine how multiplayer would work in a game like this. 

It worked in Baldur's Gate. Divinity: Original Sin is multiplayer. So while it is possible, it's just not the route Obsidian went down.

• Like 1

When a game is designed from the satrt to be single and single player only, I do believe is very difficult to implement multi player in the expansion. Especially when the expansion's gonna be extra content to the core game and not a continuation of the story.

Maybe in a sequel in about 3-4 years? Who knows?

• Like 1

Why would you want to play such a game with a group if you could just play a "real" Pnp campaign instead? I don't really understand.

Video games of that kind were originally made for people who lacked the friends to play real PnP campaigns or who just wanted to play something of this kind alone.

35167v4.jpg

because we are lazy bones ;) and nobody wants to be the game master

i Don't think they were just made for solitary people... you got tons of things i this kind of game you simply don't have in a PnP... like the amazing drawings, all the plottwists (which would need a reeealy good gamemaster) hours and hours of compaign, all the Items you find, the side quests, the well writen NPCs...

well simply put: it's a feature i miss... and yea, lot's of people think it's obsolete, but i know for sure i'm not the only one missing this possibility

Video games of that kind were originally made for people who lacked the friends to play real PnP campaigns or who just wanted to play something of this kind alone.

Um... this is a horrible, stereotypical, and downright inaccurate, rude, and ignorant answer.

You do realize Obsidian is currently making TWO MMOs?

• Like 1

Why would you want to play such a game with a group if you could just play a "real" Pnp campaign instead? I don't really understand.

Speak for yourself.

I know plenty of people who play pnp rpgs with friends and video games alone at home. No. Videogames are made for people who want to play videogames, solo or multi. Videogames and tabletop games are 2 completely different things.

• Like 1

It makes me sad when people can't even imagine how multiplayer would work in a game like this when they used to be pioneers of what multiplayer play was.

You need only look to games like Neverwinter Nights to see how singleplayer RPGs like these can shine when you add in player control via toolsets, self run servers with in game DMs and admins. You can essentially create an entire custom world with your own rulesets (such as enforced roleplay, death rules even perma death from pvp if you so choose).

I wish more people still remembered the roleplay servers (the top quality ones of which some are still running) of Neverwinter Nights Persistent World story servers. That is still what I am hoping to see out of the resurgence of these kind of top down party RPGs.

• Like 2

The only time I tried MP in this type of game was Icewind Dale, I think. Someone I knew online ... it went something like this:

::We ran around a bit

::First combat encounter, friend paused the game (which paused everything for me too). Repeatedly, like he was in single-player. :lol:

I figured that habit was going to be hard to break so we didn't repeat the attempt. Heh.

But yeah ... the era of mass persistent MMO's or at least limited size grouping games like Diablo or FPS are what most people think of when "multiplayer" is mentioned, now. Which is why I think there's often such a negative response. But there was a time when multiplayer was a bit different in concept.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

But still bad. I'd hate to see real resources burnt on jamming in multiplayer

I love how people always assume devs are ****ing idiots when something they don't want is brought up, but treat them like unfailable Gods when they something they want is brought up.