End-game Critical path too easy?

You are worrying too much before even playing the damn thing. The game could be too easy or too difficult or none and it is useless to speculate about it before knowing for sure.

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

BG2 did the side quests right.

they were not just filler to prolong the game, but were an integral part of the game's story. you needed a lot of money for the main quest, so you had to do side quests to get them and you had to buy gear along the way, so you had to do even more to gather the funds you needed.

Not true.

You can easily get the money without doing any side quests.

Steal from a lot of people, Kill that gang of jerks in the sewer under the temple, loot all the fools who attack you in athkatla while transitioning between areas, and recruit people; take their stuff and sell it. Once done you will have enough gold to move on to chapter 3.

Indeed. It is really easy to get the gold you need with minimal effort. It is also a mistake, since you'll have to deal with the underdark at around level 10 or 11, and have few weapons capable of dealing with foes down there, but you can easily get 15k from the coronet, the slavers, and the sewers below them.

The boss should be hard for all levels. Just less hard for higher levels. Personally I think some side content should be required. 

All content that is required to complete game is by definition part of critical path and not side content, although there can be optional critical paths by offering lots of optional content which player need to do only part to finish the game.

Semantics. 

"optional critical paths by offering lots of optional content which player need to do only part to finish the game." This sounds like side content to me. 

My party of awesomely geared badasses are super badass and crush the BBEG! Immersion ruined!

Yeah, I don't understand the premise behind the immersion claim.

My immersion wasn't broken in PS:T when I managed to defeat TTO by just talking to him. Nor was my immersion broken in Witcher 2, when I learned that Letho wasn't even a BBEG in the first place.

• Like 1

BG2 did the side quests right.

they were not just filler to prolong the game, but were an integral part of the game's story. you needed a lot of money for the main quest, so you had to do side quests to get them and you had to buy gear along the way, so you had to do even more to gather the funds you needed.

Not true.

You can easily get the money without doing any side quests.

Steal from a lot of people, Kill that gang of jerks in the sewer under the temple, loot all the fools who attack you in athkatla while transitioning between areas, and recruit people; take their stuff and sell it. Once done you will have enough gold to move on to chapter 3.

there may be many ways to get the money, but the premise is what counts. you do not do the quests just because they are there, they serve a function within the story (doing them or not is a different matter)

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

The boss should be hard for all levels. Just less hard for higher levels. Personally I think some side content should be required. 

All content that is required to complete game is by definition part of critical path and not side content, although there can be optional critical paths by offering lots of optional content which player need to do only part to finish the game.

Semantics. 

"optional critical paths by offering lots of optional content which player need to do only part to finish the game." This sounds like side content to me. 

No, all the content that player needs to do before they can finish game belong in critical path, even when player has multiple options where to choose what they do.

Critical path can also have fully compulsory content that player has to do before they can continue story and it is also be possible that there are several instances of compulsory content which player can choose in which order they do them. Some games use balance where player can go through game only by doing this story blocking contents, some games don't have story blocking content at all, and some games use system where you need to do certain amount of optional content to get past story blocking part.

Side content is all the content which player don't need to do to finish the game. If you make it so that player needs to do side content then that side content just changes that optional content which player has to do before they can get past that story blocking part, meaning that they are now part of critical path.

IMO most encounters should be significantly easier if you have a well leveled and well geared party. I believe this is the primary purpose of power gaming. That amazing pleasure we all feel while blasting a mob to bits and using crafty, cheesy high level tactics to chunk bosses as well.

This is why I was disappointed when I heard we will not be able to export our endgame character and start a new game with him/her. Completionist playthroughs should bare some kind of reward, one of the many reasons we do them right? My take on the situation at least. Of course, there's always the slider if you come to an encounter that is too hard or too easy. I for one can't wait for my party to be godlike.

Enjoy the game all :D

the final boss (if there even is one) will be lv10 if you are llv9 or less, lv11 if you are lv10, lv12 if you are lv11 and lv13 if you are lv12. a simple solution to a simple problem

This would make the final boss way too easy.

Do you remember BG1? How would you rank Serevok in terms of difficulty? Because he was 16th level. In other words, he was twice a level capped party's level. Plus he had allies, plus his gear was cheese (his armor was +5 full plate and gave him 90% magic resistance)

Yet BG1's final encounter was 'just right' challenge-wise IMO. Besides, there's nothing wrong with giving crit-path minimalists what they deserve in the end: A Hard time.

He really has 90% Magic resistance? Are you saying that when I trapped him in a Otiluke's Resilient Sphere to deal with the trash first I was super lucky?

No, Otiluke's Resilient sphere was not affected by magic resist to my knowledge, since it could be cast on everything. It was neither an offensive or debuff, therefor not affected by said resist and saves...

But i could be wrong :) 

I'm worried. I'm worried about work, women, family, financial deals, and this test I'm about to take for a training course. The last thing I'm worried about is Pillars of Eternity,

That's why i opened this thread on a Pillars of Eternity forum and not on Men's Health one

People use terms like "worried" and "concerned" way too often when it's pertaining to something insignificant in how your real life is effected. That's all I'm pointing out here. I've never been "worried" over anything concerning a video game. Just sayin'. 

the final boss (if there even is one) will be lv10 if you are llv9 or less, lv11 if you are lv10, lv12 if you are lv11 and lv13 if you are lv12. a simple solution to a simple problem

This would make the final boss way too easy.

Do you remember BG1? How would you rank Serevok in terms of difficulty? Because he was 16th level. In other words, he was twice a level capped party's level. Plus he had allies, plus his gear was cheese (his armor was +5 full plate and gave him 90% magic resistance)

Yet BG1's final encounter was 'just right' challenge-wise IMO. Besides, there's nothing wrong with giving crit-path minimalists what they deserve in the end: A Hard time.

He really has 90% Magic resistance? Are you saying that when I trapped him in a Otiluke's Resilient Sphere to deal with the trash first I was super lucky?

No, Otiluke's Resilient sphere was not affected by magic resist to my knowledge, since it could be cast on everything. It was neither an offensive or debuff, therefor not affected by said resist and saves...

But i could be wrong :)

the sphere is considered a buff actualy so resistances and defenses do not apply to it, making it perfect for puting an enemy (usualy the strongest) out of the fight for a period of time while you deal with the rest

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I'm worried. I'm worried about work, women, family, financial deals, and this test I'm about to take for a training course. The last thing I'm worried about is Pillars of Eternity,

That's why i opened this thread on a Pillars of Eternity forum and not on Men's Health one

People use terms like "worried" and "concerned" way too often when it's pertaining to something insignificant in how your real life is effected. That's all I'm pointing out here. I've never been "worried" over anything concerning a video game. Just sayin'. 

People understand how to give weight to terms like "worried" and "concerned" basing on circumstances.

But if you're worried about terms, i can change nex time....sorry, i used "worried" again and there were no family\health\girlfriend involved, my bad.

Edited by Mazisky

It will probably be fine, since I don't think levels "weigh" as much as in a game like Divinity original sin where you could curbstomp the final boss if you were one level above him and if you did all the sidequests you ended up at least two levels above him.

on the other hand in that game you were in for a tough fight if a rat was one level above you and if it was two you could forget about it.

I thought Sarevok was a bit over the top.  Bear in mind the first few times I beat him I was 15, and the most recent was the significantly modded SCS fight.

Then again, I think spell resistance and level scaling are both bull****.  Spell resistance is an arbitrary mechanic that creates an incentive for degenerative behavior, as well as making the battlefield less predictable for no particular reason.  Combined with level-scaling it leads to nightmares like an endgame Deep Roads run in DA:O.

Edited by anameforobsidian

I'm not very concerned about this. I remember some of the games I've most enjoyed are in the Final Fantasy franchise, and in many of them by the time you did every optional challenge, the end bosses were a mere joke. That didn't take anything at all from my fun.

What I would be disappointed about is if there were no max level challenging encounters -at all-, but I'm pretty sure there'll be enough of those in PoE.

Edited by Emerwyn
  • Like 1

I've always hated the convention that the end boss needs to be 'epicer' than the previous boss fights.  I like the opportunity to beat the last boss by non-combat means.  Note, I don't demand or even want a non-combat solution to every problem.  Some problems in a game of this type *should* require combat.  Some actual resolutions might even require a non-combat solution.  ...But I do get tired of the 'street cred' mentality where you trudge along to a 'final battle' only to encounter a twist and realize that there's actually another 'final battle' and then another two or three.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Personally I'm getting tired of the "boss" concept outright. The most memorable combat encounters in the IE games were against groups, or other parties. Those are the most fun. The various bounty-hunter parties in BG1; the holy avenger battle in IWD2; The Hosttower assassins in IWD:HOW. Those were the most tactically challenging fights because they forced you to deal with a party that mirrors your own, skillset-wise.

Modern RPGs have abandoned those types of encounters in favor of the Big Bad Bloated Boss and his forgettable trash-mob minions - A tired cliché encounter design overused by developers who lack creativity

• Like 3

Personally I'm getting tired of the "boss" concept outright. The most memorable combat encounters in the IE games were against groups, or other parties. 

In PnP as well.

Boss fights can work but they gotta have minions, lieutenants etc. Like Irenicus gating in a bunch of fiends. Giant sacks of HP=boredom.

Edited by Shdy314
  • Like 1