Resting at an Inn needs better tradeoffs.

Bazy

1. 30 copper: No bonus

2. 120 copper: 2 Dex

3. 150 copper: 1 Might, 1 Con

4. 200 copper: 2 Might, 2 Con, 2 Intellect

These values are wonky. 99.9% of the time people are going to choose #4. 200 copper is nothing and it's by far the best. And compared to 2/3 it's 50 copper for 3x times the benefit???

It would be much better off it 2/3/4 all gave the same number of attributes bonuses but different variations. Right now there is no decision/tradeoff to make. 

This is something that can be done before launch. 

Edited by Bazy
  • Like 3

Don't assume that beta prices reflect release version prices.

• Like 2

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Game comes out in a week. 

The prices are not the problem. Realistically whatever price you pay to sleep at the inn will be de minimis. It's the attributes that matter.  

• Like 1

Unless, you know, it costs a ton in the release version. In which case, it won't be very de minimis.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Do you legitimately believe they'll alter the resting prices in a low priority side content area a week before release when they've said they're basically not doing much more tuning because they need to focus on fixing bugs ?

• Like 2

To me, it's not such a big deal... And I explain why :

In BG etc, resting in super top rooms was not usefull (or I missed something, as I had a cleric to heal me). Here, you have an incentive to go rest in an Inn... before a big fight/other.

Furthermore, this same bonus will be applied when you rest at home. And it won't be the case when you camp. So, you have the bonus only for the first encounters in the dungeon, and not for the boss ... They aren"t a problem, even if they cost nothing. (Please forgive my bad english)

To me, it's not such a big deal... And I explain why :

In BG etc, resting in super top rooms was not usefull (or I missed something, as I had a cleric to heal me). Here, you have an incentive to go rest in an Inn... before a big fight/other.

Furthermore, this same bonus will be applied when you rest at home. And it won't be the case when you camp. So, you have the bonus only for the first encounters in the dungeon, and not for the boss ... They aren"t a problem, even if they cost nothing. (Please forgive my bad english)

It's a problem because it's a feature that's in the game with potential to make the game more interesting. And it doesn't. And it's a very easy fix. 

• Like 1

My suggestion would be to start at 30c, quadruple for any effect, and then sextuple that for the big monty if you're willing to pay up.

This leaves us with:

2. 120 copper: +2 Dex /or/ +1 Mgt, +1 Con.
  3. 720 copper: +2 Mgt, +2 Con, +2 Int.

Yes, I think it's completely reasonable if you want three times the bonus of something to pay six times the price.

• It is entirely reasonable to assume that this will be like this in the release version, at this place in time. We shouldn't expect any changes whatsoever that isn't dealing specifically with bug fixes or functionally broken content.
  • Why even mention this? Why even bring it up? It is completely meaningless to the discussion, whether it is or is not like this in the release version, the relevant feedback is necessary in order there to be any chance of change whatsoever.

A lot of people do this as, as if because of some need to defend Obsidian based on nonsense arguments pertaining to the unknown. The discussion is still relevant, because we have no idea if it's going to be this way or not. By this logic, every single piece of feedback throughout the entire beta is useless, because "it may change before release anyway".

t50aJUd.jpg

My suggestion would be to start at 30c, quadruple for any effect, and then sextuple that for the big monty if you're willing to pay up.

This leaves us with:

Yes, I think it's completely reasonable if you want three times the bonus of something to pay six times the price.

That's an option. But I would rather see similar prices with different attribute choices. Or a mix of the two. 

The problems I see with that are that I can't imagine some random inn in the middle of nowhere would have super expensive rooms. Also with this game we are going to end up with a ton of money. Even 720 copper after awhile will be a joke. And you are back to square one. 

In the end I just want there to be a decision to make besides "do I have enough money?" 

Edited by Bazy

This leaves us with:

That's an option. But I would rather see similar prices with different attribute choices. Or a mix of the two. 

The problems I see with that are that I can't imagine some random inn in the middle of nowhere would have super expensive rooms. Also with this game we are going to end up with a ton of money. Even 720 copper after awhile will be a joke. And you are back to square one. 

In the end I just want there to be a decision to make besides "do I have enough money?" 

This was in my mind too : you will have an incentive to visit city, Inn, and, your castle. It's not the cost but rather the strategic value. Furthermore, in the early game, the cost seems to not be something we can laught at... Later on, we will be lords and lords can afford the big rooms, can't they ?