Suggestion: Increase Interrupt & Concentration bonus

I find that perception and resolve are a bit... lacking (especially resolve). I suggest increasing the bonus to interrupt that Perception grants by 1%, and increasing the bonus to concentration that Resolve grants by 1% as well.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

They are integer bonuses now.

Personally I would prefer +1 Accuracy and +3-6 Interrupt, and +2 Deflection and +3-6 Concentration as I do not believe that Interrupt and Concentration are things worth investing in on their own, as they do nothing but deal with the interrupt system.

Interrupts require two random rolls to occur (attack roll then interrupt roll), and is very reliant on accuracy to have an effect.

Fast weapons have a short interrupt length now as well, so stacking interrupt on fast characters doesn't really do much.

• Like 1

+1 accuracy will make everyone to go max perception

Wrong.

Accuracy is not like it used to be. The reason why it was so powerful in v364 onwards is because damage calculation was multiplicative and you were given +2 per point. This means that every crit multiplied *all* damage and the more damage multipliers you had, the more powerful the bonus damage from crits was. Thus it was essential to have - simply better than anything else really.

Now, damage calculation is additive, and the best that accuracy can do is give you a bit more of a chance to get a +0.5 to your damage multipliers. Grazes are also less bad because now instead of being *0.5 to all damage, it's only -0.5 from your multipliers, so if you already have a damage multiplier of 1.97, it now only becomes 1.47, which is better than normal damage with no multipliers anyway, rather than being always worse.

At +1 Accuracy per point, I honestly cannot say that I would always max Perception - because the bonuses from Might and Intellect are going to come in handy more often. I think it would create a very, very interesting choice between Might, Dexterity, Perception and Intellect for offensive characters.

It would also give casters an actual reason to take the attribute (currently there is none).

Regardless of what Obsidian do, I am going to mod it into the IE mod to try it out to see if I'm right.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

They are integer bonuses now.

Well then just +1. They need a slight buff for sure.

Not saying they may not need your suggestions, but I am sure that they need at least a minor buff.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

Yeah well, I am not sure that +3 is enough either, even if you had Accuracy back in. They won't change them before release because of:

How much of this could we expect to see happen in patches? (regarding system/mechanics tuning or fixing)  

A lot, I think. As much as I'd love to keep iterating on various ideas pre-launch, there's a point in development where we're in a difficult tug of war between iteration and bug fixing. It's hard to justify another round of iteration on ideas when you have a big list of broken stuff to fix. Whether it's what Attributes give bonuses to what stats, how certain things are calculated and displayed, how an interface works, or general balance/tuning, there's a lot we can do in patches -- and more safely than we can do just before launch.

So regarding any changes to this stuff, it will happen post-release with a large pool of feedback I suppose.

Edited by Sensuki

We may need to wait until after launch, but PoE will need this. Maybe I'll add it as a "better balance mod" along with a bonus to a few under powered talents like superior deflection and one handed style.

Edited by Namutree

I will be modding Perception and Resolve in the IE mod post-release, and probably other talents and abilities as well.

Your mod will likely be cool, but it will also be too different from the vanilla experience for my taste. It's the kind of mod that I would probably enjoy, but only after I've already beaten the game at least once.

Edited by Namutree

Your mod will likely be cool, but it will also be too different from the vanilla experience for my taste. It's the kind of mod that I would probably enjoy, but only after I've already beaten the game at least once.

Like we've said many times before - any gameplay changes will be optional. There's like 3-4 minor UI fixes that are not optional, and that's it.

Edited by Sensuki

Like we've said many times before - any gameplay changes will be optional. There's like 3-4 minor UI fixes that are not optional, and that's it.

I mean the gameplay side of your mod. I'll be using the UI features of your mod for sure. Don't worry about that.

Is this where I again copy-paste my own suggestion?

Yes.

This was originally intended for v435, but the Attributes have not changed between v435 and v480, so it's still relevant:

Just for reference, this was the Attribute Bonuses in v392:

Attributes in v392:

MGT: +3% Damage & Healing, +2 Fortitude.
CON: +2% Endurance & Health, +2 Fortitude.
DEX: +3% Action Spd, +2 Reflex.
PER: +2 Accuracy, +5% Range, +2 Reflex.
INT: +6% AoE, +2 Deflection, +2 Will.
RES: +3% Concentration, +5% Duration, +2 Will.
This had some clear issues, the foremost one being that Perception was incredibly valuable, due to the +2 Accuracy per point. Accuracy was, however, broken, due to the game's damage calculations at the time. This has since been fixed.

These are the current v435 Attribute Bonuses:

Attributes in v435:

MGT: +3% Damage & Healing, +2 Fortitude.
CON: +3% Endurance & Health, +2 Fortitude.
DEX: +3% Action Spd, +2 Reflex.
PER: +6 Interrupt, +1 Deflection, +2 Reflex.
INT: +6% AoE, +5% Duration, +1 Will.
RES: +6% Concentration, +1 Deflection, +2 Will.
Interestingly, one developer (or was it QA?) said that this was the most balanced yet, even though Interrupt calculations are currently broken and Dexterity works in reverse, and it's got some big issues I'd like to raise (that has mostly been raised elsewhere, but I thought I'd make a single post to discuss it, even though I'm somewhat hampered due to the ongoing lack of an edit function, so if I end up double-posting like mad, bear with me).

These are obviously arguably quite subjective, at least in part, the subject being me. C'est la vie.

• Resolve is greatly undervalued in comparison to most other attributes, this is particularly grating with the Paladin in mind, who you'd think would do well with Resolve, conceptually and roleplaying-wise. It is a clear "pump or dump"-stat, where the only ones that will have reason to pump it are those that are going for a tanking role and nothing else.
  • Intellect is overvalued for casters. It has consolidated two primary modifiers for most caster builds, whether Wizard or Priest, which is AoE and Duration. Hilariously enough, Intellect is now also a prime attribute for the Barbarian, which is as conceptually unsound and roleplayingly odd as Paladins doing bad with Resolve.
  • Accuracy was completely removed, even though the cause for doing so may not be relevant any longer.
  • Likewise, the +Range modifier was removed; whilst only applicable to ranged combatants and therefore arguably presenting a overvaluing/undervaluing issue depending on build and class, isn't that an issue inherent to the attribute system, and indeed, largely the point of it?
  • Intellect now only gives +1 Will, instead of 2; this was likely to prevent the overvaluing of Intellect after endowing it with the consolidation of caster modifiers, but honestly it does nothing to curtail it. This is likely the reason Fortitude, Reflex and Will modifiers are now also listed, as previously they were not, when they did not differ from eachother, it was +2 across the board (afaik).

I'd like to suggest the following:

Suggested Modifiers:

MGT: +3% Damage & Healing, +3 Interrupt +2 Fortitude.
CON: +3% Endurance & Health, +3% Concentration, +2 Fortitude.
DEX: +3% Action Speed, +2 Deflection +2 Reflex.
PER: +1 Accuracy, +3 Interrupt, +3% Range +2 Reflex.
INT: +6% Duration, +2 Deflection, +2 Will.
RES: +6% AoE, +6% Concentration, +2 Will.
  • There would be a greater synergy between some of the Attributes, for focused builds, such as a interrupter (Interrupt) that hits hard (MGT) and precise (PER) with every blow, the intelligent (INT) and nimble (DEX) warrior playing on his defensive strengths (Deflection), or a focused (RES) and athletic (CON) man that pushes through no matter how hard he's hit (Concentration).
  • Intellect would now be an option for the intelligent, defensive warrior.
  • Intellect would no longer be the one-stop-shop for casters.
  • Resolve reaffirms it's position as the Attribute that represents a character's power (or wish) to influence the world or not be influenced by it.
  • Constitution is no longer largely meaningless, and slightly less of a dump stat. A small but significant boost, but mostly conceptually.
  • Perception may appear overvalued again, but do note that the bonus to interrupt has been cut in half. It is slightly more valuable to ranged combatants than to melee combatants, which is entirely intended.
  • I had more points, I swear, but I seem to be exhibiting a bit of an aneurysm at the moment, I would edit in more, but I can't, so just live with it.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on how the Attributes should look and what modifiers they should have.

t50aJUd.jpg

My suggestion will be:

MGT: +3% Damage & Healing, +3 Interrupt +2 Fortitude.
CON: +3% Endurance & Health, +3% Concentration, +2 Fortitude.

DEX: +3% Action Speed,  +3% Range, +2 Reflex.

PER: +1 Accuracy, +3 Interrupt, +2 Reflex.

INT:  +6% Duration & AoE, +3% Range, +2 Will.

RES: +1 Deflection, +3% Concentration, +2 Will.

Therefore each attribute will have a main benefit and two minus benefits, make them more balanced.

Edited by dunehunter