Yet another balanced weapons suggestion - critting expands base damage range

tdphys

Due to the way modifiers and DR work, heavy weapons are mathematically far-and-away better than light.

This is because modifiers multiply base damage ( after they've all been added together);  ie  you get more out of the same modifier when using a weapon with higher base damage.

Now, I had previously attempted to suggest balancing this using better crit modifiers for light weapons, but since everything is additive, and there's often a lot of damage modifiers, that suggestion was unwieldy.

So instead,  I'd like to suggest that instead of just representing critical hits as a modifier,  instead simply calculate it as a per-weapon change in base damage range.

For example (not in game values): 

great-sword -  Base Damage 8-15;  Crit  (+5) gives range 13-20 when critting.

dagger - Base Damage 4-10;  Crit (+10) gives range 14-20 when critting.

Weapons could be balanced between

heavy: high base damage, but low crit buff,  

vs

light: low-base damage, but high crit buff.

Thematically,  heavy, inaccurate weapons do serious damage overall, but it's hard to poke someones eye out with a mace,

whereas a dagger or rapier, low damage overall, until you hit something vital.

All the other modifiers could be applied as regularly.  Not only that,  I think this representation is *easily* understood.

Accordingly,  I'd also like to second Sensuki's call for a return to +1 accuracy on perception.  If critical hits were an avenue to exploit light weapon damage,  it would expand the design space and role playing capabilities of character creation to allow a stat to buff that kind of game play.

dnd next ripoff, there a crit is maxDamageForThisWeapon+roll.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Thematically,  heavy, inaccurate weapons do serious damage overall, but it's hard to poke someones eye out with a mace,

I think this is a bit off. Precision can be achieved with large weapons. Pike is a good example, you could poke someone's eye out with a Pike.

They just need to do some tuning for each individual weapon IMO, if they want to make them all interesting and fairly well balanced at the same time. I'd like to see special active attacks and unique capabilities/bonuses for some weapons.

I wouldn't aim too much for realism though, considering we're using weapons that IRL were designed to fight people and not crazy fantasy monstrous things. Personally, I would never want to be in a situation where I'm attacking an ogre or a dragon with a dagger.

Edited by Odd Hermit

adding the dagger max damage was pure coincidence...   obviously not what's happening in the maces context.  The point is that heavy weapons should receive less critical damage then light ones.

Edited by tdphys

I think this is a bit off. Precision can be achieved with large weapons. Pike is a good example, you could poke someone's eye out with a Pike.

They just need to do some tuning for each individual weapon IMO, if they want to make them all interesting and fairly well balanced at the same time. I'd like to see special active attacks and unique capabilities/bonuses for some weapons.

I wouldn't aim too much for realism though, considering we're using weapons that IRL were designed to fight people and not crazy fantasy monstrous things. Personally, I would never want to be in a situation where I'm attacking an ogre or a dragon with a dagger.

I'm okay with Pikes being a heavy high precision/crit weapon with low attack speed

The whole problem is that base damage is *the* primary way a weapon is defined, and makes tuning one dimensional, outside of perhaps feats/talents that are specifically targeted at the weapon.   There is accuracy bonus for light weapons, but this currently pales in damage amplification to the base damage size, due to the way modifiers are calculated.

I'm not a realism nut,  I prefer to have a varied tactical design space for my characters over realism (big fan of 6 meaningful stats).  I don't prefer a one-dimensional optimal strategy.  I throw the "thematic" tag out there hoping that it catches with those who do care though :)

Edited by tdphys

In the playtest?

In the released version of 5E you just roll twice as many dice as you'd normally roll.

Which can be great if you roll well, but it can also suck since you can theoretically crit for a lot less than a normal hit (although it's not likely).

It would be better if they had differentiated the weapons functionally instead of statistically.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]