What will be your first player character?

0fea907f4d3adcc8d5d11e016cb8b0c5.jpg

Name: Maurice Medicci

Race :Vallian Human from Old Vallia, recent expatriate to the Vallian Republics

Class: Paladin

Background: Vallian Noble who hails from a long line of shipping magnates and traders

Shouldn't that be Lorenzo? :)

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I'm really looking forward to playing an Orlan cipher quite a lot. A stiletto and a hatchet...a polite, kind, courteous, vicious little snake...:-D

Cipher: GIVE ME YOUR KNEECAPS!

Victim: But.. I.. what?

Cipher: I SAID GIVE ME YOUR KNEECAPS!

Victim: But whyyyy? D:

Cipher: THAT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!

Victim: HOW?! Q_Q

Cipher: This is taking too long.

Cipher: *starts hacking into the legs of the enemy*

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 4

t50aJUd.jpg

I usually go with rogue for the first time but I'll be the barbarian(human) this time. Will definitely play with monk in a subsequent playthrough and while I hate magic and have never played with magical classes in an RPG, cipher seems appealing also.

• Like 1

I think i'm going to go with a Monk whom is completely unaware that he is a Monk. Formerly a head cracker in a backalley Aedyrean drinking hole, a hugely muscled and obese individual, a giant taller than even an OohMama, covered in scars with a set of broken teeth and one missing eye. He stinks and shuns bathing, is an alcoholic and proud of it, and is sullen and brooding when it comes to conversation, the first time you'll know that he has taken umbrage is when his fist cracks into your nose. He disdains shirts, opting for a pair of striped trews, a brightly coloured sash about his huge waist and and a sturdy belt over this. He sometimes wears a pair of iron gauntlets, for when times get testy, and a scarf over his scarred bald pate. 

I'm thinking his exile to the Reach is because of his breaking the neck of a young Aedyrean noble, or some other influential individual such as a priest or thief. He looks for the simple things in life, gold, food, ale, drugs, comfort and willing women. He is largely immoral, and will laugh at pleas to his better side, he has none and merely follows a loose code that he made himself. Of old I would have said he is Chaotic Neutral, fiercely individual and unbothered by societies rules, but in no way evil or twisted, just unconcerned with nuances.

I'm unsure of a name, though I might have him not bearing anything but a nickname, being born of a dockside whore (his dear Mam) and an unknown client lineage will not be something he knows of. Perhaps something like Mr Hand might be appropriate, or Grippa for his past career as a thumper and tosser.

• Like 4

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Hi everyone

I've been following this kickstarter game for a while now, but I never really had the chance to play the beta. My question would be: what class should I pick for my first playthrough? Which of the classes would be fun or unique?

I'm having some trouble deciding.

All opinions are welcome, thanks. :yes:

Choose what you think will be the most fun. :)

I find it is always a good idea to figure out what function you want your main Character to have in combat. Do you want someone who does a ton of damage? Do you want some kind of tank, maybe someone who is also able to give as hard as he takes? Do you want a spellcaster/ crowd controller? Do you want a summoner? A healer? A buffer? A ranged or melee character? I think deciding what you want your character to do, helps alot in deciding your build. And most people seem to have one or two preferred styles that they enjoy. 

For unique classes, I would say the Monk, Cipher and Chanter (Tank, DPS and summoner/buffer respectively) all play in interesting and original ways, from what I have seen.

To me, the Cipher seems an obvious pick for the first playthrough, since that class's soul magic is closely linked to the game's central lore of soul-energy.

In terms of mechanics, I'm very interested in the Chanter, so that'll probably be my second character.

DID YOU KNOW: *Missing String*

gonna need more input.  do you prefer high maintenance or low maintenance characters?  is a few classes that is excellent, but they require a great deal of micromanagement.  do you have preferences about melee combat?  perhaps you like to see your character in full-plate and swinging an anime style weapon o' impossible size?  is three extreme broad groupings o' classes that the obsidians to reveal them to us.  front-line/tanks is barbarians, monks and fighters.  mob-rulers/cc characters were revealed to be wizards and druids.... they can do big damage, but they do it to groups more than single targets. heavy-hitters were the designation obsidian used for weapon-based characters who could, well, hit a single target hard. leader/support characters include the chanter (remote similar to a d&d bard, but not much alike) priests and paladins.  ciphers, a caster class, got their own announcement, but they is having a differing role depending on who you ask on this board.  they are excellent at doing damage to single targets and groups, but they are less flexible than wizards.  they are kinda a sorcerer/psionicist amalgam, to use d&d vernacular. 

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66380-update-81-the-front-line-fighters-and-barbarians/

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63765-update-52-monk/

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/65829-update-74-the-mob-rulers-wizards-and-druids-and-our-partnership-with-paradox/

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/65025-update-71-the-heavy-hitters-rogues-and-rangers/

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66195-update-78-the-leaders-of-the-band-chanters-and-priests/

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64452-update-65-ciphers/

however, please note that all o' the tanky classes can do very reliable damage to enemies, as long as you build 'em the right way.  paladins, can tank even though they are a support character, though the likely cannot tank as well as the three "front-line" classes. rangers don't currently work very well as the ranged-weapons-with-pet class they is s'posed to be, but there are some melee build s that work okie dokie if you look hard enough for them.  also, be advised that some changes were made to many classes during the beta, so info in the links can be a little dated.

*shrug*

with 11 classes, each one is necessarily distinct and focused. however, particular since the beta started, the classes are flexible enough so that the notion o' the class' role is a bit misleading.  you can customize to a significant degree.  

also, the developers worked hard to avoid the possibility o' overt bad character builds.  attribute choices impact your character less in poe than in many games.  the differences between weapon choices within the three broad categories o' weapons (yes, we know that is confusing) is almost incidental.  choose talents after looking at excel spreadsheets til your eyes bleed, or choose 'cause a talent sounds kewl should not result in a insurmountable obstacle to success in the game.  

is tough to go terrible wrong. for instance, Gromnir is gonna play either a priest o' eothas or berath, or a rogue that dual-wields spears.  regardless, am gonna use attribute allocations that most o' the number crunchers on the board would laugh at.  in the beta, we had great success with all our intended builds, even though they ain't anywhere near optimal.  so, we advise that you don't  sweat the details. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Depends how do you like to play - if you enjoy crushing mans face with the hammer (warrior), putting knife between his ribs (rogue), throw him into oblivion with your spells (wizard), surrounds yourself and your allies with magical farts that will help you defeat your opponent (paladin) or else. Its not one-man-team game, youll have various companions so no matter what class you'll choose for your main character, you wont be screwd and you will be able to command several other classes anyway. So choose class which suits your role-playing preferences or which you usually play (like fighting style).

Based on the developer vids I saw to date I'd say it doesn't much matter insofar as worrying about micromanagement or not.

As that is what you will be doing in serious fights anyway, commanding the entire team to do action x at various times n the fight as you hit pause or using auto pause.

I heard one of the devs comment to a query at a conference that the AI for the party isn't (i'm paraphrasing here) all that great.  I take from that and what I saw in vids so far

that at any difficulty besides easy you will want to direct all your party members actions.

So, I'll pick whatever to start and run with it. 

I always play a wizard, but the chanter class is really kind of a bard+ and the idea of actually playing someone like Homer is really cool. I haven't really had the chance to play much of the chanter I won't touch the beta with the game hitting the shelves soon, but I'm keenly interested to see if it's as powerful as people claim. I plan on playing the Wizard because I always love the class, and a chanter because of the coolness factor.

EDIT: Also, since we have a cool thread for first class/party already, I thought I'd merge your topic into this one, Mirandel.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Pallegina and I will pal around like best godlike paladin pals, curb-stomping swamp-thingys, drinking malt beer, comparing our Flames' of Devotion, buffing each other near graveyards ...

I foresee some... friction... between Pellagina and myself. I'm not sure how well she'll get along with my Deathlike, Bleak Walker Paladin self... :p

t50aJUd.jpg

I will play

Ranger

Death God Like Godlike  Aumaua Parents

Back Ground  Deadfire Archipelago

Hunter

Pet Wolf

RP Left for dead in the woods and raised by wolves.  Now I bring death to those who bring death to the woods.

I could use some help with the build.

If I understand correctly

Perception will increase the range of ranged attacks and accuracy of  attacks correct. So Perception is a must.  Makes use of Ranger Talent to increase rate of fire at cost of accuracy.  

Dexterity to the point where I get max Rate of fire but limited to Armor Restrictions

The combination of DEX and PER will give me max reflex saves so AOE wont wipe out me and the pet

Then Max Might dump resolve and INT

Cons maybe - 1 or 2

Is it feasible or viable to max dexterity and where no armor.   MAX rate of Fire =Max damage

My thought is perception put other range classes in my range while I am out of theirs do max single target damage

I foresee some... friction... between Pellagina and myself. I'm not sure how well she'll get along with my Deathlike, Bleak Walker Paladin self... :p

I don't think we actually know much about what her paladin order believes in. She might be totally down with causal cruelty.

I don't think we actually know much about what her paladin order believes in. She might be totally down with causal cruelty.

My cruelty will not be casual, in fact I'm pretty disappointed in the Celebrated/Condemned behaviours (if they're still the same) of Bleak Walkers, Aggressive/Cruel as Celebrated, Diplomatic/Benevolent as Condemned. They seem to have sorta made them into blackguards after all, which is the one thing I was hoping they wouldn't do, based on what we've been told about them before.

I was expecting Rational/Aggressive or Rational/Cruel as Celebrated, and Passionate/Benevolent or Diplomatic/Passionate as Condemned. Very matter-of-fact, do-what-must-be-done, as-efficient-as-possible kind of thing. Not just raarrgh, nice bad, eat kitten, yum.

As for Pellagina, I'm expecting her to be a goody-two-shoes with a hardon for the Vailian Republics. Her order is supposed to be based entirely around the protection of the Vailian Republics and whatnot.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg