What will be your first player character?

Please tell me you have heard of the actual Torment successor: Torment Tides of Numenara?

PoE is the Baldur's Gate successor.

Have you heard about Sword Coast Legends? 3rd cRPG of this year which looks promising  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZmyUfDP1no

I'm still more hyped about PoE and Tides of Numenera though

Edited by DarkWanderer
  • Like 1

Please tell me you have heard of the actual Torment successor: Torment Tides of Numenara?

Have you heard about Sword Coast Legends? 3rd cRPG of this year which looks promising  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZmyUfDP1no

I'm still more hyped about PoE and Tides of Numenera though

Yes I have, but I'm skeptical on it after reading a bit about the game and the devs. I'll have to wait and see.

I'd say the MUCH more promising cRPG you forgot to mention was Serpent in the Staglands by Whalenought Studious. 

Also, I think it's safe to say that TTON will be delayed till next year like PoE was. 

Edited by TrueMenace
  • Like 3

Calibrating...

Yea I've heard about Staglands - but i'm wondering if its not too hardcore for me - i  like having quest log and have some kind of map. Too detailed maps with markers, which takes you by the hand and lead you to your objective bothers me even more - but not knowing where i am at all sound a bit to extreme for me. Well i guess i'll have to check it out and then decide if its going to be finished or thrown away and forgotten xP

Yup - i have same fears about TToN - they havent shown us much footage from it and im afraid that it'll be delayed quite a lot.

Edited by DarkWanderer

Yea I've heard of Staglands - but i'm wondering if its not too hardcore for me - i  like having quest log and have some kind of map. Too detailed maps with markers, which takes you by the hand and lead you to your objective bothers me even more - but not knowing where i am at all sound a bit to extreme for me. Well i guess i'll have to check it out and then decide if its going to be finished or thrown away and forgotten xP

Yup - i have same fears about TToN - they havent shown us much footage from it and im afraid that it'll be delayed quite a lot.

Stagalands is definitely not hand-holding whatsoever, but I don't think the devs intended that to be frustrating for the player. It's part of the experience for the player to explore and discover and experiment, much like Demon/Dark Souls/Bloodborne (FromSoft games) where there is no hand-holding. 

• Like 1

Calibrating...

Egads. Sorry about the white text in my previous post. I copy/pasted that directly from Google Docs since I started writing it at work last night. I didn't realize it would copy/paste the color of the background, too.

I ran into Torment: Tides of Numenara yesterday when I discovered this game, too. I only found their Kickstarter page and didn't see any info on there under updates as to it's release so I bookmarked it and moved on and found this game. The reason I even found these two games is because I was thinking of buying BG:EE on Steam or GoG. I played the original two back in the early 2000's after PS:T, but never got past more than probably 10 or 15 hours of gameplay for whatever reason.

I've been really wanting to sink my teeth into an in-depth story and character-driven RPG and realized BG was probably going to be my best bet. And since I never got my personal badge of honor for having completed at least one run-through with BG, I went looking for it. I had no idea companies were working on these kind of projects. I'm over-thrilled!

Name Merewen Herwing

Race: Meadow Folk

Culture: Aedyr Empire

Class: Chanter

Background: Aristocrat

The 11th child of Thayne Raedgar of Irenclif in the Aedyr Empire, she was mostly raised by her older brother Eadgar. She immediately showed intellectual promise, consuming adult books and loudly announcing what she had learned to whomever would listen. Eadgar was a wizard and animancy researcher under the guidance of their Aunt Lefwen and brought the girl into their small family coven of animancy scholars along with Eadgar and Merewen's sister Ethelind. Merewen thrives under their guidance and, over time, recognizes her own talent and dreams of becoming a great advisor and courtier of the Emperor bringing glory to her family and herself.   Her brother promises to help her once he becomes Thayne.

Outgoing by nature and a skilled singer and entertainer she cultivated her social skills to help navigate the dangerous world of power politics in the Empire. Along the way she attracted many admirers including the young priest of Eothas named Eothric, son of a minor noble named Rothsig. Merewen was his first love and they had a brief love affair as teenagers but his insecurity and their immaturity led to it ending badly. After a couple years they reconnected and became fast friends having similar intellectual interests and a love for witty banter and parties. Eothric had a bit of a spiritual awakening and crisis about a year before the game begins and left for Readceras to find the truth about the supposed 'death' of his God, St. Waidwen, and the Saint's War. She misses him terribly and Eothric, for his part, never really got over her. But they both have things to do.

About a half a year after Eothric left, Merewen was off doing her research and building connections near the Aedyran Capital. News reached her something was very wrong back home. Racing back to Irenclif she was greeted by her mother who, with a look of agony on her face, informed her that her father was dying and her brother Eadgar and sister Ethelind was to. She arrived at her dying brother's side and, full of emotion, swore to aid his adult son Segar in his claim to the title of Thayne in front of her brother's wife and children. Her father and sister were also soon dead of the same mysterious disease.

Unfortunately for Merewen another of her brothers, Aethelric, also had substantial support for the succession and was supported by Merewen's teacher and Aunt Lefwen. The conflict that followed, forever known a the 'Witch's War' (the two Witches being Lefwen and Merewen) saw Segar's supporters soundly defeated. Segar was executed and Merewen taken prisoner. Even though Aethelric pardoned her after she swore to support him, it marked the end of her ambitions in the Empire.

Merewen went to Readceras seeking her old flame Eothric, hoping to help him in his quest and possibly find new opportunities for her own success. She arrived and found he had already left, going west into the Palatinate of Dyrwood. So she signed up on a caravan headed to the Gilded Vale...

Ever so soulful second character:

Name: Eothric Hrothsing

Race: Meadow Folk

Culture: Aedyr Empire

Class: Priest of Eothas

Background: Clergyman

Pic for Merewen:

princess_lauralye_by_selenada-d6wy14i.jp

Pic for Eothric:

__Ayren___by_XxKalixX.jpg

Note: Story and names and everything else subject to change as I learn stuff :p

Edited by Valmy
  • Like 2

Yea I've heard of Staglands - but i'm wondering if its not too hardcore for me - i  like having quest log and have some kind of map. Too detailed maps with markers, which takes you by the hand and lead you to your objective bothers me even more - but not knowing where i am at all sound a bit to extreme for me. Well i guess i'll have to check it out and then decide if its going to be finished or thrown away and forgotten xP

Stagalands is definitely not hand-holding whatsoever, but I don't think the devs intended that to be frustrating for the player. It's part of the experience for the player to explore and discover and experiment, much like Demon/Dark Souls/Bloodborne (FromSoft games) where there is no hand-holding. 

I certainly hope so (i love all these games) - i think i read somewhere that to move your story forward you'll have to read everything attentively and sometimes you'll have to write down some stuff on piece of paper to not forget about something (like it was with many old games) - there'll be no journal/quest log and sometimes you'll be said to search for item X in place Y and if you forget about that you'll be in trouble (though i guess after some time we'll be able to find our lead back on Uncle Google xP). 

I wasn't reading much about that game though so i can be wrong ;)

whats the news on godlike? Do they suck cuz they cant wear helmets? like why pick a fire goldlike when you can find a helmet that gives 5 dr.

I'm not sure if you can actually get such helmet, but godlikes have better racial abilities to compensate, they look cool, rp purposes and they are perceived differently than other races so for x playthrough you'll want to check them out anyway xP

• Like 1

whats the news on godlike? Do they suck cuz they cant wear helmets? like why pick a fire goldlike when you can find a helmet that gives 5 dr.

none of the races suck so much that you shouldn't pick it for roleplaying reasons.

Egads. Sorry about the white text in my previous post. I copy/pasted that directly from Google Docs since I started writing it at work last night. I didn't realize it would copy/paste the color of the background, too.

I ran into Torment: Tides of Numenara yesterday when I discovered this game, too. I only found their Kickstarter page and didn't see any info on there under updates as to it's release so I bookmarked it and moved on and found this game. The reason I even found these two games is because I was thinking of buying BG:EE on Steam or GoG. I played the original two back in the early 2000's after PS:T, but never got past more than probably 10 or 15 hours of gameplay for whatever reason.

I've been really wanting to sink my teeth into an in-depth story and character-driven RPG and realized BG was probably going to be my best bet. And since I never got my personal badge of honor for having completed at least one run-through with BG, I went looking for it. I had no idea companies were working on these kind of projects. I'm over-thrilled!

That feeling when you discover the game you've been waiting for your entire life...

I wish I could re-live the day the Project Eternity Kickstarter was announced. Glad you discovered this game. We need to spread the word. 

Edited by TrueMenace
  • Like 1

Calibrating...

That feeling when you discover the game you've been waiting for your entire life...

I wish I could re-live the day the Project Eternity Kickstarter was announced. Glad you discovered this game. We need to spread the word. 

I told a friend about this today and he thinks it looks really cool. He said this would be something his wife might really be interested in, too, and she's a hard one to find the right game for. So hopefully, that's at least one other person!

(posted to twitter & facebook, too)  :cat:

I cannot find anything on the game when I Google. Any chance the spelling is off or can you provide a link to information about the game?

I'll be buying Torment when it comes out. Another kickstarter I missed >.<

I certainly hope so (i love all these games) - i think i read somewhere that to move your story forward you'll have to read everything attentively and sometimes you'll have to write down some stuff on piece of paper to not forget about something (like it was with many old games) - there'll be no journal/quest log and sometimes you'll be said to search for item X in place Y and if you forget about that you'll be in trouble (though i guess after some time we'll be able to find our lead back on Uncle Google xP). 

I wasn't reading much about that game though so i can be wrong ;)

There is a quest log. You also can jot down some notes in a journal in game, if you want. Quest log does not always provide all relevant information (some of it may come from various NPCs around the town).

There is some handholding and you won't be lost altogether, if you come back after a couple months. I personally prefer it that way, but tastes vary.

Hey guys, rather than merge Kordanor's post into this one, which would put him a few posts back, I'm going to quote him here with his contribution to our band of first run characters. Enjoy!

Hey there!

I am currently wondering what my main character should be at release.

Personally I have two things I want to implement in my playstyle:

1. Play with Companions only (so no manually created characters besides the main character if I don't need them to get the maximum out of the stronghold)

2. Be as diplomatic as possible (only the main character can use his attributes and skills in dialogues for those who dont know)

Now if I take a look at the Companions at the game I see that there are no Barbarians, Rogues and Monks. In addition it's probably a good idea to have a character with high Stealth AND high mechanics, so that you can scout while not getting killed by traps and don't have that divided on two characters.

The Rogue has a bonus on both.

So I guess the ideal complimentation of a party might be a rogue player character.

Then again, looking at requirement 2: Be as diplomatic as possible, makes me think if the Rogue Attributes and Skills can be used for diplomacy at all.

Stealth and Mechanics are probably pretty useless in dialogues.

I am not sure what attributes a Rogue will focus on. Probably Might, which doesn't appear to be very diplomatic.

I have also seen Enverxis videos where he made a Blunderbuss character with Int. But I don't understand yet why. Int would be probably good for diplomacy though.

Perception and Dexterity seem to be underpowered in combat from what I understood from various videos so not sure if this should be increased. Perception might be a cool thing for dialogues though.

Resolve seems to be a good diplomacy attribute. But I don't see a rogue taking it.

So I am pretty much unsure at that point whether to take a rogue or a different class which actually profits from the resolve attribute, though I am not a fan of having a caster or supporter characters as my alter ego.

So what about you, what will your main character be at release? And for which reason?

Also of course, if you have any tips for my dilemma I'd welcome them as well. ^^

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

My first character?

Well, the race will be Human.

Too often people think of Humans as boring, but I look around our world, and what we've accomplished, and know that Humans aren't just massively accomplished and varied beyond any scope captured in a video game, I also know that we are, indeed, very interesting. Many non-Human races in games just come off as "Humans" with "Human inspired Cultures" and "Human inspired mannerisms" and "Just generally Human stuff" packed under a skin that's varying degrees of Human-like. Very rarely do i come across something that actually feels different, worth itself. So I always start with a Human at a base, and play them off against the world they're in, the supposed 'boring normal' nature of a Human in fantasy is easily one of the concepts easily proven quite wrong unless a writer has just done everything possible to make them bland and boring, and even that can be played in interesting ways.

The class? I'm torn between three:

The Cipher, the Soul seems such an important part of Pillars of Eternity that a Class that deals with them in the manner presented by the Cipher could result in some very neat situations. The Chanter, because it seems like an interesting twist on that "entertainer" brand of class that pops up in many RPGs. The Wizard, because, well, I love magic users in RPGs, and especially in the style presented with the Wizard here.

In the end I'll have played each, given multiple play throughs, but at the beginning? I might start with the Cipher, in a world where the soul matters so much the Cipher seems an almost obvious choose for my tastes and playstyle.

• Like 1

I cannot forget the follies and vices of others so soon as I ought, nor their offenses against myself.

My feelings are not puffed about with every attempt to move them. My temper would

perhaps be called resentful. My good opinion once lost is lost forever.”

- Pride and Prejudice

I'm having a big dilemma between a Fire Godlike Chanter and an elf Cypher.

Hard choice

I would go Chanter - much more versatile (can fight during chants, can spellcast, can summon). Besides you will have opportunity to play both classes on your first playthrough anyway (KanaRua, GrievingMother).

I'm answering a bit late, that's what I think I'll do. I think a Chanter fit me more both on the gameplay and the roleplay sides :). My main hesitation was because I think KanaRua's a great companion and that I won't take him if I play Chanter.

But well, go to hell Kana, I'm the star here ! ;)