What will be your first player character?

Hello everyone I'm new to the forums. Like all of you I'm really excited for the upcoming release of Pillars of Eternity. Lately I've been thinking about what kind of character I would like to roll for my first play through. For me this is more of an RP question rather than min/max.

I wanted to make this post to 1: See all of the cool character ideas the community has and 2: Possibly get feedback on the character I plan on creating so that I could maybe flesh him out a little bit more. 

My character:

Name: Undecided

Race: Death Godlike

Class: Priest (worshiper of Eothas)

Background: Slave

This character was sold into slavery shortly after being born. I imagine that a discussion took place where initially the character might have been put to death like many other Death Godlike individuals, but instead it was decided to sell him. Through his difficult upbringing and persecution this character has had a lot of direct experience with personal suffering and tribulations. I think that the character became attracted to Eothas due to the tenants of honesty, benevolence, and  redemption. Maybe some part of the character feels somehow deserving of the treatment he has received (although this definitely wouldn't be something overt more on a subconscious level) due to being a Death Godlike. 

I'm not exactly sure how this character escaped slavery and joined the priesthood (maybe this will be shaped by dialog options in game). 

Currently the character is struggling with the events in and that lead to the Saint's War. He's faced a lot of prejudice in his life and certain aspects of St. Waidwen  don't sit well with him (how he essentially led an inquisition and crusade), which he does not see as conforming to the ideals of benevolence and redemption. 

I hope that this character will have a lot of interesting opportunities for RP in the game. He'll have to stick with honest and benevolent options when being faced with distrust for both being a Death Godlike and a priest of Eothas. I'm also excited to see if we'll get to dive deeper into what happened during the Saint's War and who St. Waidwen really was. 

Anyways here's the character I plan on rolling. Any thoughts on it would be appreciated (especially if I got some aspect of the lore wrong). 

What kind of character are you planing on playing?

Edit: Spacing between paragraphs 

Edited by Trius

My character at start of first play though:

Name: Maximus or Grimm.

Race: Human (ethnic group: Thyrtan.)

Class: Paladin but also thinking a Fighter.

Background: Mercenary, Laborer or Explorer.

[if Paladin ; The Shieldbearers of St. Elcga or Kind Wayfarers Order.]

For main skills I'm thinking: Athletics, Mechanics, Lore and Survival. (in that order)

Normally Benevolent/Honest/Rational/Clever in dialogue, goodie-toe-shoes type.

I like many out there am excited to see if we'll get to dive deeper into what

happened during the whole Saint's War and see who St. Waidwen really is. 

I have no real made up backstory for him planned out yet, but I sort of see him being the Mercenary Warrior type and him putting his skills to use for good, but

really only if there is good money to be made in the end since he wants to be paid, or maybe not since sometimes it's him just doing it since he can help people.

When it comes to combat Grimm mainly uses a sword and also a war bow or crossbow, but he is open to new ideas like using this new thing called a blunderbuss.

Edited by wolfrider100
  • Like 1

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

No biggie.  There was a first party thread somewhere also, but this one seems focused on different things.  My guy will be a scholar from the White that Wends just for RP purposes.  Kind of like an academe who does a lot of field work.  Probably an elf or a human, I suppose.  I see him as an Indiana Jones sort of character.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

My character:

Name: Grimm

Race: Human (Thyrtan)

Class: Fighter.

Background: Mercenary.

Woah! Name, Race, Class. What a strange coincedence, my very first character in a D&D setting was named Grimm Draconi, and also Human Fighter :p

@OP: Here, it's made by an Obsidian Developer (Brian Macintosh), a random name generator to help out :) (I use it for all my Backer Beta characters that I create)

http://brianmacintosh.com/random/?id=name/eternity

EDIT: Should respond to the thread topic too:

My character.

Name: Byorgh (name before Brian posted the generator, and I liked it so it sticks)

Race: Hearth Orlan

Class: Barbarian

Background: It'll be a last minute decision, but leaning towards Scholar, Scientist or Philosopher (or similar, non-combaty background). All I know is that, I'm going to pick the Benevolant/Honest/Rational approach in dialogue, because making a goodie-toe-shoes Barbarian saint sounds fun and somewhat against the Barbarian archetype o:) a deviant of the Barbarian ways~

Culture: Iximatl Plains (for Philosopher/Scholer) or Living Lands (for Scientist)

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Culture_and_background (requirements)

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 3

Wasn't there a poll on this somewhere?

I did a search beforehand and didn't find anything. I apologize if the post is redundant. The focus of this post is for how you plan on RPing your character. 

Oh, I was just seeing if anyone remembered where that thread was. I'm sure people's preferences have changed since then.

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards Chanter right now, by the way.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

I'm having a big dilemma between a Fire Godlike Chanter and an elf Cypher.

Hard choice

I would go Chanter - much more versatile (can fight during chants, can spellcast, can summon). Besides you will have opportunity to play both classes on your first playthrough anyway (KanaRua, GrievingMother).

• Like 1

Might as well:

Name: Eldoth (Eldoth Halcyon, but CRPG:s rarely do well with first name/surname, so I'll probably just name him Eldoth).
Race: Deathlike (elven build).

Class: Bleak Walker Paladin (emphasizing authoritarianism and brutal tactics as a means of quick resolution, rather than just playing a kitty-eating blackguard, if the game will allow it).
Culture & Background: Aedyr Aristocrat.

Primary Attribute will be Resolve, with Secondary and Tertiary Attributes being Perception and Intelligence, in that order. I intend to give myself both Knight and Noble Weapon Foci, for fluff reasons if it's ever relevant. I will be focusing on using a Rapier, dueling-style, and I will likely not wear any armour whatsoever.

Yes, it's going to be absolutely terrible. And absolutely glorious.

No, seriously, it's going to suck all kinds of ass but I'll likely mod some attributes unless Obsidian fixed the attributes before release, but it's still going to be pretty heavily underoptimized, just by virtue of being a paladin duelist without armour that emphasizes attributes that doesn't immediately affect damage output.

Oh, and I'm playing on Hard. I'm not insane enough for Path of the Damned, and Hardcore mode never appealed to me whatsoever. Depending on what happens in-game and how I'll like the actual characters when push comes to shove, I intend to recruit the following:

Edér, Aloth, Durance, Pallegina, and either Hiravias or Grieving Mother; we know so little about Grieving Mother that it's hard to tell, but odds are I'll go for her.

When it comes to personality, it really depends a lot on what options are in the game and how it'll affect me and the effects of the choices, but overall, for Disposition and Personality, I intend to go for Rational, Benevolent, Honest, Clever, Cruel, roughly in that order of importance.

For skills, Stealth, Stealth baby. And, like, a minor in Athletics and Lore.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Name: Balduran (cliche i know) :D

Race: Human or dwarf

Class: Chanter

Background: Scholar/Scientist

Culture: Explore 

A Human/Dwarf with a curious mind, an open heart, and great tales of companionship, loyalty and heroic sacrifice.

Dabble in engineering and science and loves the blunderbuss. Cannot sit still for more then a moment and never backs down from a chance to explore more of this fine world he lives in.

Also have way to many jokes about elves :)

I was going to go with a pale elf barbarian, but now I'm thinking:

Maleifia

Female Wild Orlan

Bleak Walker

Slave

Old Vailia

Build around Bleak Path/Inspiring Triumph, doing high power hits (Flames of Devotion, Envenomed Strike) to take down weakened enemies then using that to debuff enemies and buff allies.

Aumaua barbarian, I'm not tempermentally suited to play a squishy.  I just hope barbs are fun to play.

For Firedorn all the Lads grieve

This Adam woke up next to Eve.

But beneath leaves of Fig,

He found Berries and Twig,

So Himself off a cliff he did heave.

Cecily de Renouille

Human Old Vailian Aristocrat

Paladin of the Darcozzi Paladini

A Sharp tongued character with a fiery temper and a sense of justice. Is quite used to the finer things in life, but doesn't care much for money itself and as such, bribery will immediately and invariably sour her disposition. Believes in aristocracy: believes the nobility are better than the commoners and have rights in excess of the common man. However, also believes this is a contractual relation and the common man have different rights (such as the right to be protected from harm). She's also proud, vain and, when her temper is agitated, violent. In her pride, she would rather give warning and let her enemy prepare than ambush a foe. She prefers a good, challenge of her abilities than an easy win. Despite her temper, she's not blood thirsty. Combat is about testing her strength against others and a bested opponent is just as good as a dead one.

I like to figure out who my character is as a person before I start playing. It lets me figure out how they feel about things right from the beginning.

Edited by Verenti
  • Like 1

Oh nice thread! Hmm I think I'll try a first character like this:

Name: Undecided

Race: Wood Elf

Class: Cipher

Culture: The White that Wends 

Background: Mystic

I'll educate myself a bit more on the lore of the game to see if I can actually make sense of a Wood Elf coming from the White that Wends or else I'll probably try a different back story and choose to be a scientist from The Living Lands. Unless! someone convinced me that the Pale Elf passive doesn't suck at all. :getlost: 

And she is coming to Dyrwood for her own interest and curiosity on the animancy research there, what the folk there think about ciphers and learn about the Glanfathans "brîshalgwin" stuff like that.

I think this game it's going to be very special to me so I'm planning to do something weird here, I'll try to make my PC a bit like me and make her personality mainly deceptive and clever, besides that I would like to make some type of character arc with her, she could start innocent and benevolent but later become crueler or maybe the other way around, I'll see if the story fits with something like that.

For role play reasons I would like to focus my attribute points mainly on INT, RES and PER. Maybe even totally neglect CON to use more points in the other attributes. I just hope I'm not making combat hell for me ehmm besides I kinda want to play on Hard and with Expert Mode on  :mellow: .

I'm not so sure which talents to pick for her, I could grab Quick Switch, Arms Bearer, Savage Attack and equip her with a bunch of fire arms like the blunderbuss? yeah I don't know,  I'll listen to any suggestion  :thumbsup: 

Also she will probably wear Clothes and Robes... or maybe something else that I find way to cool looking to ignore cough*  >_<

(first post yay!)

• Like 2

Cecily de Renouille

Human Old Vailian Aristocrat

Paladin of the Darcozzi Paladini

A Sharp tongued character with a fiery temper and a sense of justice. Is quite used to the finer things in life, but doesn't care much for money itself and as such, bribery will immediately and invariably sour her disposition. Believes in aristocracy: believes the nobility are better than the commoners and have rights in excess of the common man. However, also believes this is a contractual relation and the common man have different rights (such as the right to be protected from harm). She's also proud, vain and, when her temper is agitated, violent. In her pride, she would rather give warning and let her enemy prepare than ambush a foe. She prefers a good, challenge of her abilities than an easy win. Despite her temper, she's not blood thirsty. Combat is about testing her strength against others and a bested opponent is just as good as a dead one.

I like to figure out who my character is as a person before I start playing. It lets me figure out how they feel about things right from the beginning.

Nice she could have an interesting relationship with Pallegina.

Edited by Luz

Name: Baleros

Race: Pale Elf

Class:  Priest of Wael

Culture: The White that Wends

Background: Mystic

Baleros will be a trickster priest, favored by the diety Wael.  He longs to solve the mysteries of the world, all the while enjoying causing chaos and hilarity whereever he may.  His dogma will be much like a zen monk (confusion is ok as long as one tries to understand it), with a bit of the fae thrown in. Obviously, I'm going to focus heavily on playing him deceptive, as well as clever.  However, I plan on adding a touch of passion to him whenever possible. 

• Like 2

Don't know the name yet (because I suck at coming up with names), but she's going to be a Nature Godlike Druid from Ixamitl.

As for her background, I'm debating between Aristocrat and Drifter. The idea being that she was born into nobility, but as a nature Godlike the cold stone of the mansions and cultured artificiality of high society became ever more unbearable and so, in the end, she left all that behind and hit the (dirt) road.

Leaning towards Aristocrat, but I still got a week to think it over.

There were some topics about main character and one about gods as I remember. I will be not original then:

Name: Serafin

Race: Moon Godlike

Class: Priest of Eothas (aren't there too much Eothasians now?)  :p

Background: Dissident from Ixamitl

Personality: Passionate, Benevolent/ Chaotic Good (D&D)

My character rebelled against Ixamitl social order very early (castes, hierarchy, power of nobles, tradition, religion), joining 'the underground resistance movement' in mature age. They were known from their scandalous actions of insulting the authorities. Fight for a new order cumulated in attempt to killing some authority figures. It didn't work and my character was imprisoned and sentenced to death. But he survived the execution as a result of a simple luck Moon Godlike tend to bring or 'a divine intervention' as local Eothasians believed. Since then, his life began to change, he wanted redemption and renewal of his sinful life by devoting himself to Shining God. It was perceived by normal people with mixed feelings, but not by his mates from underground, who saw it as unforgiven betrayal. They were trying to slay him in all possible ways because of it. Still, he was able to get priestly vows. But after tragic fire of Eothasian temple he was banished by those, who just wanted justice for all the misfortunes. In the wake of it a fledgling priest began to believe he had only brought ruin on whole town from the beginning and did not deserve to survive in savanna plains that time. But having a bloody luck again, he was found by a strange, shining, miniature space piglet ( :grin: ), which saved him from starvation (no, he didn't eat that cute pig  :p), it led him to the Odema's caravan full of food and friendly people. Then he started to believe he survived all the adversities for some reason and he would find a purpose in his new life had been given to him. 

There were some topics about main character and one about gods as I remember. I will be not original then:

Name: Serafin

Race: Moon Godlike

Class: Priest of Eothas (aren't there too much Eothasians now?)  :p

Background: Dissident from Ixamitl

Personality: Passionate, Benevolent/ Chaotic Good (D&D)

My character rebelled against Ixamitl social order very early (castes, hierarchy, power of nobles, tradition, religion), joining 'the underground resistance movement' in mature age. They were known from their scandalous actions of insulting the authorities. Fight for a new order cumulated in attempt to killing some authority figures. It didn't work and my character was imprisoned and sentenced to death. But he survived the execution as a result of a simple luck Moon Godlike tend to bring or 'a divine intervention' as local Eothasians believed. Since then, his life began to change, he wanted redemption and renewal of his sinful life by devoting himself to Shining God. It was perceived by normal people with mixed feelings, but not by his mates from underground, who saw it as unforgiven betrayal. They were trying to slay him in all possible ways because of it. Still, he was able to get priestly vows. But after tragic fire of Eothasian temple he was banished by those, who just wanted justice for all the misfortunes. In the wake of it a fledgling priest began to believe he had only brought ruin on whole town from the beginning and did not deserve to survive in savanna plains that time. But having a bloody luck again, he was found by a strange, shining, miniature space piglet ( :grin: ), which saved him from starvation (no, he didn't eat that cute pig  :p), it led him to the Odema's caravan full of food and friendly people. Then he started to believe he survived all the adversities for some reason and he would find a purpose in his new life had been given to him. 

What's the space piglet called  :grin: ?