Anyone streaming their initial playthroughs? Or recording for Youtube

I was thinking about doing Youtube videos since I'll be home for 2 days at release.

My question is for Youtube videos what do you guys use to record the game action? I used FRAPS but it makes a 6GB movie file after just a few minutes. Is that normal and you change the format after or are there better programs to record gaming?

For any streamers, feel free to link the Stream if you like. I wouldn't mind watching other styles of gameplay.

Fraps creates about 60 to 300 GB of Data for about one hour of gameplay which depends on how much the graphics change each frame. So a FPS will take significantly more space than an isometric game.

There is no option to change the codec of fraps and personally I am using a dedicated 1 TB HDD just to hold these files until they are converted in a youtube friendly format.

The alternative to that is OBS, which is a pretty popular program among streamers, which converts the data right when recording it, making the size far, far smaller. Of course this comes with some computing costs. Personally I am using Fraps because I got a very old PC (Phenom II X3), and FRAPS works with almost everything.

BTW: While fraps costs like 20$ or so, OBS is also free to use.

But I got a different question: In the PAX Stream it was mentioned that we are free to do streams and youtube videos. But is there anything written about that which we can refer to?

Edited by Kordanor

I assumed once the game is released they cannot stop anyone from doing it. I didn't realize they would have a say on what can be shown and what cannot post Beta.

So videos that are lets say 12GB can be made into a format that works on Youtube? What format do you normally change it to?

Thanks!

They always can. Some companies like Daedalic require you to ask them for permission for any single game. Most big ones like UBIsoft  just allow most stuff. With Nintendo on the other hand...well, you can find a nice list over here: http://letsplaylist.wikia.com/wiki/%22Let%27s_Play%22-friendly_developers_Wiki

The easiest way would be to throw it into windows movie maker. It brings it down to a couple of GB/ hour.

I am using VirtualDub and the codec x264 vfw/ h264

I was thinking about doing Youtube videos since I'll be home for 2 days at release.

My question is for Youtube videos what do you guys use to record the game action? I used FRAPS but it makes a 6GB movie file after just a few minutes. Is that normal and you change the format after or are there better programs to record gaming?

For any streamers, feel free to link the Stream if you like. I wouldn't mind watching other styles of gameplay.

Nah I plan to lock myself in my own little cave, with loads of snacks and no distractions, and embark on what is hopefully going to be an, EPIC adventure!  :dancing:

• Like 1