Please introduce auto slow-mode option

I guess a lot of players will combat in slow-mode, so an auto slow mode option (similar to autopause ) would be really appreciated, expecially for when combat starts.

Edited by Mazisky
  • Like 13

1) Set autopause on combat start
2) give orders

3) Turn on slow mode.
4) Profit.

This is quite useful because to give initial orders a pause is basically needed. Otherwise you lose a lot of precious time.

Edited by Veevoir
  • Like 2

2) give orders

3) Turn on slow mode.

4) Profit.

This is quite useful because to give initial orders a pause is basically needed. Otherwise you lose a lot of precious time.

this ofc works. but its all about the number of clicks.

in a 60-70 hour game and 200+ engagements, its just nice to have the combat begin the way you want it to.

• Like 1

2) give orders

3) Turn on slow mode.

4) Profit.

Why they gave us autopause when we could just press spacebar when needed?

The answer is the key

• Like 1

^Auto-pause creates a psuedo-turn-based mode. You remove the "stress" of pausing entirely by using auto-pause. I've tried using the auto-pause in Pillars of Eternity but it just ain't working for me. I'm so used with manual pausing that when "Auto-Pause: Combat Begins" happens, I actually un-pause :p but! I do want to attempt to try and play it with auto-pausing because it does appeal to me.

It also makes combat more predictable and you can learn to time your abilities/attacks in a whole different way.

@OP: Auto-Slow Motion sounds interesting, kind of like "Combat Begins: Slow Motion" checkbox in options?

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

You push a button aaaannnndddd eevvveerrryyyytthhhiinnnggg ggeettsss ssslloowwweerrr,,,,    Iiiitttt''''ss  kkkiiiinnnddd  ooooffff  sssseeelllfff----eeexxxppplllaaannnaaattttoooorrrryyy....

Anyway, in one of the gameplay videos Josh talks about a slow-combat option that they already have.  1/3rd speed, was it?  They just haven't really showed it being used, as far as I know.

Edited by Chaos Theory

A lot of people feel the combat too fast paced (despite pausing) and will use the slow mode for any combat.

So an auto-slow mode for when combat starts will be useful to many folks

Edited by Mazisky

Just watched some videos and the combat was really fast paced, so on hard difficulty I see no way around slow mode in addition to pausing each quarter of a second or so...

So I'd also really appreciate if I didn't have to do it manually each time a combat starts.

Good suggestion! We already did it. :)

I'm impressed. During a workday, you just came and grabbed a good idea and implemented it straight into the system. Bravo, Obsidian. Bravo.  :yes:

Auto- slow mode should also become very useful whenever you're dashing around with fast speed mode (while clearing the last corners of fog of war for example) and run straight into some nasty enemies. Will definitely use this mode.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Rhuac
  • Like 1

"The end comes soon. We hear drums, drums in the deep. They are coming."

Auto- slow mode should also become very useful whenever you're dashing around with fast speed mode (while clearing the last corners of fog of war for example) and run straight into some nasty enemies. Will definitely use this mode.  thumbsup.gif

It did already drop you to Normal speed upon entering combat when exploring in Fast Mode, though. (And back to Fast when combat is over.)

Still, nice to see.

the reason autopause is there, is because it allows you to keep track of the situation when specific events occur. the slow mode is just that: "a mode" that you can toggle on or off and you only need to do it once... there is no reason to turn it on and off every few seconds

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for ressurrecting this topic, but I can't find for the life of me where this option is supposed to be. :(

I move around almost always in slow mode, but as soon as combat starts, my characters are running all over the place and I have always to re-enable slow mode manually. Any hint where that option is located?

Edited by Lythe Vodaine

FdSm3p1.png

Ok, I found the option, but it isn't working. It says something in the tooltip about setting the speed automatically to slow if a certain amount of enemies is involved in combat, but no matter what party I have and what foes I face, slow modes is never automatically activated, option set or not.

Why is it bound to the number of enemies anyways? Why not just make it a binary toggle to either automatically set speed to slow for every combat, or not?

FdSm3p1.png

What?!?!  This option exists?!  I've been thinking how much I'd like something like this, never knew it was in the game already?!

Yeah I hit slow key when combat starts and it's perfect for me, also pause when needed.  But I'm sick of always turning it on and off (it auto goes off if I hit it AFTER combat starts, but sometimes I've already hit it before sneak attack, etc, and so I have to manually turn it off after combat ends.)  Anyways, yeah if there's an option to slow during combat only, I wanna see it.