If a PoE2 Kickstarter was announced..

At the moment I wouldn't pledge.

After getting around to play, remains to be seen.

Assuming I like PoE, I'd be vaguely disappointed the second one also needs kickstarting,

but would pledge. something, not to the same level as PoE1, but enough to get the game at least.

Following the development of this game and reading all the updates has been really fascinating for me. I feel like I have already gotten my moneys worth for that alone, and with that in mind, I would totally back another Pillars of Eternity.

Right, it was a lot of  fun waiting and reading all 90+ updates and news. But to be honest, this could also happen while just have to pledge 5$ to be in. :-)

Depends on how this game is. I didn't back this game *just* because of Obsidian; I backed it because it looked like a game I wanted to play. I love Obsidian, but not every single game of theirs is fantastic; Alpha Protocol is so-so at best. I still have terrible memories of my first time trying to play the unpatched KOTOR 2 (which I know was not entirely their fault, but I didn't even learn the details of that for years). In addition, when the PoE KS was going I happened to have *just* come into a c

ouple thousand dollars; I well might not be able to afford to contribute to a KS today.

Alpha Protocol was pure gold at its core. It's imho Obsidian's best game so far...

Good to know. I was wishing to have and play Alpha Protocol all the time. Now its in my shelves for so long and I never played it (yet).

Regarding a new KS for an PoE sequel (it has to be PoE2), as Fergus said once he maybe would finance a add on (the size of "The Swordcoast") by himself.

So first I will have to see how good PoE will be while playing it the first time.

If it's good (and from todays point of view I have no doubt) I would back it again.

My pledge was 140$ for the CE boxed version plus playing cards and sound track on CD (I guess 30$ for both) plus 20 $ for shipping. Which is a lot of money just for shipping (but ok, I think we had this discussion already enough :-) ).

So this time it was 190 $ which is a lot of money.

Plus I ordered the both books via Amazon, I guess rd. about 50 $ for both.

Next time I would pledge the same amount like 200 $ maximum.

Brian Fargo will do The Bards Tale IV with his InXile and Bards Tale is a very special game for me so, if this KS happens and I am convinced I will pledge a larger amount (maybe 300 $) for The Bards Tale IV.

Would I pledge? Yeah, sure.

Would I pledge the same amount again?

Well, even if the first game turns out to be everything I hoped and dreamed of, there's a bit of a problem for me and my fellow countrymen/women, and that's that the Australian dollar (which was a little above 1:1 parity when the original Eternity kickstarter came out) has swan-dived in value against the US dollar since then. The US$288 I pledged back then (shipping costs added to pledge, plus a minor add-on), which cost me a little less than that amount in my local currency, would now cost me $377 Australian dollars if I pledged today, and it will probably be even worse by the time a kickstarter came out if the local economists are to be believed. My dollar doesn't buy as much from overseas as it did a year ago, so even if I have equal enthusiasm, I don't have equal buying power to what I once had.

Edited by Avantre

I would probably back any Kickstarter they do but the amount I would put in would depend on what was being pitched. I would like to see them do a non-IE inspired game because it sets certain expectations and it seems (obvious) that people have some wildly differing opinions on what makes those games special/fun/whatever.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

I would support them!   There doing what there passionate about and that is a very good thing!

It's nice to see these Rpg's coming back to popularity.  

I would wait a bit though for announcement of the Kickstarter though.  Wait till you have your expansion half way finished.

Also I would set up something like Torment Tides of Numenera.  I still give them money.

I would pledge for a tier that gets me a signed collector's boxed set.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Kickstarters don't fare as well these days. I wouldn't expect a PoE 2 Kickstarter to get nearly as much funding as PoE did.

That a fact? It seemed like PoE was one of the biggest kickstarters ever at the time but now it is only the 10th largest.

If the game is a success they might be able to do it again. Hopefully they will not need to.

I'd give a qualified yes. It would depend on the design of the second title.If it was more of the same, I can see myself kicking in another $20 or what ever. Depending on my financial situation at the time and the value of the rewards vs money given.

...And you would have the choice of pledging, would you? (using the impressions and feelings you've gathered from the BB).

Assuming a larger game compared to PoE, but keeping the same-ish engine, same-ish rules, new story etc etc (like a proper sequel).

If you are a PoE backer, would you pledge more or less compared to what you gave for PoE? I'm interested in the general opinion of the forum dwellers in a topic like this, after the BB experience.

I'd persoanlly double my PoE pledge (70 -> 140ish).

I'd have to evaluate the first one first.

And BTW: since we are not talking about charity I will never pay a game more than the market price. I think that buying a game knowing just its concept and nothing more is already enough. 

Kickstarters don't fare as well these days. I wouldn't expect a PoE 2 Kickstarter to get nearly as much funding as PoE did.

Maybe, but maybe they wouldn't need as much since they already have the system and tools built, as well as profits from sales of PE/expansion.  Anyways, regardless of how I feel about their kickstarter, I expect they could easily make over a million.  If PE releases well, they could do even better than that.

That a fact? It seemed like PoE was one of the biggest kickstarters ever at the time but now it is only the 10th largest.

If the game is a success they might be able to do it again. Hopefully they will not need to.

Well, considering that Torment's still the highest computer game pledge earner after 2 years (3rd in the kickstarter game category overall, with the other 2 in games that earned more being a card game and a console) and I had to go down to something like the 24th game in the 'most funded games' list before I found a video game kickstarter from 2014 or sooner, they may have a point. That's not to say a second kickstarter might not still do well, even if it doesn't do as well - the second Shadowrun kickstarter still got 1.2 million which is still great, even if it's not matching the original's 1.8 million.

The Ultima Underworld successor didn't do as well recently, though, even if it did get funded so who knows? Our next chance to see what a kickstarter game can really make will probably be Bard's Tale.

Edited by Avantre

Well, considering that Torment's still the highest computer game pledge earner after 2 years (3rd in the kickstarter game category overall, with the other 2 in games that earned more being a card game and a console) and I had to go down to something like the 24th game in the 'most funded games' list before I found a video game kickstarter from 2014 or sooner, they may have a point. That's not to say a second kickstarter might not still do well, even if it doesn't do as well - the second Shadowrun kickstarter still got 1.2 million which is still great, even if it's not matching the original's 1.8 million.

The Ultima Underworld successor didn't do as well recently, though, even if it did get funded so who knows? Our next chance to see what a kickstarter game can really make will probably be Bard's Tale.

Yeah, I'm kinda sad the Ultima Underworld Kickstarter did so bad. It might still be good, but I'll always want to know how much better it could've been.

That being said, as I've said before, the best thing would be if any potential PoE2 (although I hope it's not actually PoE2) was financed by the earnings of PoE2 and then had a Kickstarter for additional sales and funding for feature expansion and so on. Exactly like Shadowrun: Hong Kong did, except higher stakes and more money.

t50aJUd.jpg

Kickstarter projects are doing well. Better than ever. Pebble Time is likely to break 20.000.000 dollars. And that's their second kickstarter. If PoE is succesful, people will recognize the legitimacy of the way it was funded, and a second kickstarter will gain support. It's not about kickstarter as much as about the projects that are coming around. Video games on kickstarter has become country for old men. Dead IP's are overwhelming the demand for good projects to back in hope of ressurection and return to better days.

It's a mistake to put Obsidian and a new PoE kickstarter in the same category as those project and base expectations of succes on the same basis as their results.  

• Like 1

I believe that Kickstarters partially don't fare well these days because the Kickstarter customer base are waiting for Pillars of Eternity and Torment. When these two titles have been released, and if they are positively received, this entire costumer base might be ready to Kickstart the "next big thing".

• Like 1

Kickstarter projects are doing well. Better than ever. Pebble Time is likely to break 20.000.000 dollars. And that's their second kickstarter. If PoE is succesful, people will recognize the legitimacy of the way it was funded, and a second kickstarter will gain support. It's not about kickstarter as much as about the projects that are coming around. Video games on kickstarter has become country for old men. Dead IP's are overwhelming the demand for good projects to back in hope of ressurection and return to better days.

It's a mistake to put Obsidian and a new PoE kickstarter in the same category as those project and base expectations of succes on the same basis as their results.  

It should also be noted that with Torment: Tides of Numanuma, Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity, the market has been somewhat saturated in this field when it comes to Kickstarters. There just haven't been another major player capable of garnering this kind of wide support we saw in those.

Once inXile or Obsidian puts up another Kickstarter in the same vein as either of their Kickstarter flagships, I have no doubt in my mind that we'll see enormous support, especially if they do good. Wasteland 2 was well received, although I think it was a bit underpolished. With some breathing room, I see absolutely no reason why a potential PoE2 (or similar) wouldn't do great on Kickstarter, especially with a major proof-of-concept published and a financial foundation to build on.

Edit: Goddammit Osvir, I've been thinking about writing what I just wrote since yesterday, and you ninja me now? :lol:

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

I've been thinking about this for nearly 2 years :p

EDIT: Or rather, when I started to see the decline and negativity about Kickstarter. I think I even made a post about it around the time Shadowrun Returns got a publisher (long time ago). "Kickstarter will probably cycle companies after the previous ones have released their products" or something like that. Ish.

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

Lot of suckers.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I would back it, but I'd pledge less than I did to this one, just because I don't have that kind of money to spend on box sets anymore.

"It is an extraordinary act of courage to come to know a stranger's pain. To even consider such a thing demands a profound dispensation, a willingness to wear someone else's chains, to taste their suffering, to see with one's own eyes the hue cast on all things -- the terrible stain that is despair."

-Tulas Shorn

"Toll the Hounds" by Steven Erikson

Lot of suckers.

One born every minute.

Anyway there was a pent up demand for games like WL2, PoE, and Torment. There are first person dungeon crawlers being made so there was not this manic celebatory money explosion for Ultima Underworld.  Besides...man that is an old game. Fallout and the IE games were much fresher in everybody's memory. The Bard's Tale is a really ancient relic so it will be interesting how they dress it up. It has aged particularly horribly, I loved those games as a kid but I have never felt much nostalgia for them. They were just an endless dungeon crawl with mechanics with all the weaknesses of First Edition AD&D (outside of level caps for demihumans)

Edited by Valmy